main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Mirror's Other Side - March 27th- A MESSAGE TO READERS OF THIS FIC

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: The Mirror's Other Side [Dark Jedi Rule A Parallel Universe]
    BY: Arwyn Whitesun
    GENRE: AU Fic -Adventure, Drama
    TIME: Around the time of the events of The Phantom Menace
    CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn

The premise of this fic is based on an old classic Trek episode called "Mirror, Mirror" in which Kirk and his valiant crew find themselves in a mirror universe where the Federation is a tyrannical evil empire. I decided to apply that premise to the Star Wars universe in which our intrepid, but bewildered hero, Obi-Wan, finds himself in a galaxy ruled by Dark Jedi.

Listed at The Obi-Wan Fan Fic index

--------------

Obi-Wan watched as Qui-Gon and Rian Oladuanni walked around her latest invention. The two Jedi were on the planet Varonat, located just outside Republic space. Rian was an old friend of Qui-Gon's. He had met the Falleen scientist some years ago, long before he had taken Obi-Wan on as his apprentice. Like all Falleens, Rian was tall and exotic looking. Her skin was a pale jade and her long black hair, which tumbled down her slender back, was decorated with tiny multi-colored beads. She had the spinal ridge common to all Falleens, but hers, as with all Falleen females, was smaller. Obi-Wan wasn't sure how old she was since her species, on average, lived to be 250 standards, but she didn't look any older than him although she and Qui-Gon had known each other a long time.

"And you're saying this device can convert matter into energy," Qui-Gon said.

Rian nodded and gestured towards the machine. "I place an object on the platform where it's transmuted into energy. The energy packet is then transferred to a similar platform where it is reassembled into its original form."

The device looked fairly simple to Obi-Wan. A waist-high control panel and a circular metal platform about five feet wide. Qui-Gon stroked his beard, his blue eyes lighting up in the way Obi-Wan had learned over the years meant he was fascinated.

"Rian, the implications for this device are staggering."

She smiled proudly, her lovely, almond-shaped eyes shining. "I've been working on it for years, but I?m finally at the stage where I can begin to test it."

"Not on living subjects?" Qui-Gon asked, his gaze piercing.

Rian laughed. "You know me better than that, Qui-Gon. I do hope to test it on a live subject someday. But even if it's only used to transport cargo, it would still be a great achievement, don?t you think? If it could be used to transport living things, however..." She shrugged and smiled. "Well, I'd be richer than---"

"Anyone has a right to be," Qui-Gon finished with a teasing smile.

She winked at him. If Obi-Wan hadn't known better he would have thought the two were more than just friends but he knew they were not. Qui-Gon, like Obi-Wan, followed the precepts of the Jedi Code regarding romantic relationships very strictly.

No, Qui-Gon just enjoyed Rian's company because, like him, she was considered something of rebel in the scientific community. Her ideas were unorthodox and her methodology unconventional. For that reason she had taken the wealth she?d inherited from her family and built this private lab on Varonat where she was free to invent, study and discover as she pleased without the Republic's Intergalactic Consortium for Scientific Advancement looking over her shoulder.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon said, turning to him. "What do you think of Rian's invention?"

"It's intriguing, Master." Then he frowned. ?I'm not sure I'd want to be reduced to an energy packet. However, to be able to travel across the galaxy in an instant would be very helpful with our missions."

Rian shook her head and smiled. "That's a bit more than I'm capable of at the moment, Obi-Wan. I can only transport objects a short distance, but I'm working on a way to increase the transport wave?s power. Then I'll be able to move objects over greater distances. Would you like a demonstration?"

Qui-Gon nodded. Rian walked over t

2. Jedi_Chani

Jedi_Chani Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Very interesting concept. I hope there's another post soon.

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I like this Arwyn. I don't believe that I ever read it the first time around, so it's all new to me.

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    *Jumps up and down* Hey I think I know this one!! Yippee!! Love this story too!!! Yay!!! [face_dancing] I'm so glad that you are posting it here too!!

Can't wait for more! :D :D

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy Happy Kitara :D

I love this story- thanks for bringing it back [:D]

6. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    JediChani Thanks! I'll have another post up fairly soon.

Jedi Master Jen I started this one back in the fall of 2002, but during the last two years, I have to admit, it's been on my mind and I truly do want to finish it.

Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar! I had actually had a lot of fun writing this story so glad others enjoyed it too. :)

Padawan Kitara You're welcome. And thanks for welcoming me and the story back. :)

7. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    I didn't read this the first time around. The Mirror Universe is something I don't believe i've ever seen in SW (cannon or fanfic) and its a very intresting idea... I wonder if cannon characters will show up in the mirrored universe... will there be a evil yoda, an evil windu and a *gasp* good anakin?

8. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    OMG!!! This is too good to be true - Dark Side Qui and more importantly leather wearing Dark Side Obi Wan are returning??????
    Mwahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [face_love]

9. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Here we go again! :) :) :) :) :)

10. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Vivid Scripts Yep, there will be parallel characters in the mirror universe. That was one of things I enjoyed about writing this fic when I started it two years ago. :)

FAB Yes, they are returing and I must be crazy to be doing this!!! I have so much on my plate already what with working 40 hours a week, Darth Real Life and my other writings, but I had shown this fic to a Qui-Gon fan I knew just a few months ago and it got me itching to take another stab at it. So, here I am. :)

Sabe I know, I know. I'm crazy to be starting this fic again. Somebody stop me. Please! :D

11. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Title: The Mirror's Other Side - Part Two
    Author: Arywn Whitesun

-------------------------

Obi-Wan slowly opened his eyes. The light above him was too bright. He closed his eyes, then opened them again, taking his time adjusting to the brightness. He was in a bed in what looked like an infirmary. He sat up and saw he was dressed in a hospital gown. Reaching up, he felt a bacta bandage on his head. There was no sign of Qui-Gon or Rian. He tried to recall what had happened after the second explosion, but it must have knocked him out. Noting some soreness along his side, he wondered if he had broken his ribs. The door to his room opened. A young woman, dark of hair and eyes, entered the room, closing the door behind her.

"You're awake," she said as she walked over to him. ?Good.?

"Where am I?"

"In the infirmary." She leaned over and checked the bandage on his head.

"Am I still on Varonat?"

"Of course you are." She gave him a curious, but worried look. "Are you suffering some kind of memory loss?"

"I don't know. I remember the men invading Rian's lab. The battle and the explosions." He reached over and grasped the nurse's arm. "What about Rian? And my master? Are they all right? Are they here?"

The woman pulled her arm away. "You mustn't get yourself worked up."

"But I need to know if they?re all right. My master. Where is he? Is he....dead?"

The woman's eyes widened and Obi-Wan saw what looked like fear in them.

"Dead?" She laughed as if the idea was one she had considered, but thought impossible. "No, he?s not dead. He's gone to see the magistrate. He was quite....upset about what happened. Now please, you must lie back and rest. We wouldn't want him to return and think we haven't been taking care of you.?

She laughed nervously as she plumped his pillow. Obi-Wan leaned against it, relieved to learn that Qui-Gon was all right. "And Rian? What about her? Is she all right?"

The nurse shrugged. "I'm afraid I can't answer that as I have no idea who she is."

She poured a red liquid from a bottle next to his bed into a plastic cup.

"What is that?" he asked, eyeing the cup.

Before she could answer, a loud voice thundered into the room from behind the closed door. "You told me he'd be ready to leave today!"

"Yes, my Lord, yes, I did say that,? another male voice said fearfully. ?But his injuries were more serious than we?d realized. He really should rest one more day."

"He doesn't need to be coddled, you idiot! He?s not some weakling, mealy-mouthed sheep like the rest of you. He?s to be released immediately. Do you think I have nothing better to do than hang around this flyspeck of a planet.?

?No, my Lord. Of course not. He?ll be released right away.?

?That?s better. Now get out of my way before I snap your puny neck!"

Obi-Wan felt a tremor run down his neck for the voice was Qui-Gon's. But his master would never speak to anyone in such an enraged manner. It had to be someone else. He glanced at the nurse. She trembled, her brown eyes staring fixedly at the door. Actually, she was shaking so hard liquid was spilling out of the cup she held, drops falling like blood onto Obi-Wan's sheets. He reached over to take her hand, but was surprised when she shrieked and jerked away from his touch.

The door to the room slammed open. A tall, imposing figure entered. He had piercing blue eyes, brown shoulder-length hair and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache. He wore knee-length ebony leather tabards, black leather pants and sable knee-high boots. His scarlet silk overtunic tunic was cut so deep in the front his broad chest was clearly visible. An ornately decorated lightsaber was attached to a jewel studded, platinum belt around his waist. There were other weapons on the belt; a curved dagger with a jeweled hilt and a Class IV blaster.

As the man strode over to him, Obi-Wan saw with no small degree of shock that it was indeed Qui-Gon. But it also was not.

The nurse backed away as Qui-Gon approached. Now that he was nearer, Obi-Wan saw he had a rippling scar alo

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Wheeeeee

Unfortunately I am going away for a week- that means there will probably be lots of lovely posts to read when I return :D

13. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    hehehe

I love it. Qui-Evil is a great character, and the slight revelations concerning the rest of the Mirrored Universe (henceforth reffered to as MU) have got me hooked. I"m curious if the MU versions of Sidious and Maul are good guys/lightside force users.

14. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yay! You're posting it. :D

Qui-Evil scares me muchly. [face_worried]

edit: are you going to be doing both universes, or just the one where Obi's in the bad one? The 'MU' as Vivid_Scripts calls it? *giggles* MU. [face_cow] Moo. :p

15. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    WOOOOO.

I read this a long time ago after you had already put it on hiatus, and I'm just going to say I am ESTASTIC that you're going to finish it! *jumps up and down for joy*

That is all for now. :D

-Krystal

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh man... that description of Qui... =P~ Man oh man!! *dreamy sigh* evil or no... he sounded fine!! hehehe

Poor Obi... he's gonna get more than a visual/auditory shock... *cringes*

LOVING this!! Can't wait for more! ;)

17. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    PadawanKitara Actually, you won't miss too many posts. My current job assignment is pretty stressful and by the time I get home I'm too tired to do much of anything. So I probably won't have a new post up until later this week.

Vivid Scripts Thanks VS! That's what I'm enjoying about writing this fic. Twisting characters around, so, yes, it's quite possible that Maul and/or Sidous might be good guys in the M.U. Or they might not. ;) By the way I like that abbreviation of MU for the Mirror Universe. Going to use that from now on. :)

HHP Thanks, HHP! Hmmm, that's a good question. I had planned on just concentrating on Good Obi in the MU, but I really, really like Evil Obi, so I'm probably going to do both storylines. :)

KrystalBlaze Thanks, Krystal! I thought a lot about this fic during my hiatus, so I'm glad to see that at least some folks are glad to see it back. :)

Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar!! Yes, Lord Jinn is pretty hot. Or at least he thinks he is. He's also just a tad bit insane as you'll see in later posts. :D

18. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    :)

Yep, I remember this one, too! Love how this opens, Arwyn, and you've got to feel for Obi-Wan at this point...he's completely confused and there's no way to find out what's happened without giving himself away...although that won't stop him from trying!

I can't wait to see the evil Obi-Wan wake up with the normal Qui-Gon...

Great job, hun! :)

19. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Thanks, Astroanna. I hope to have a new post up soon and I'll be telling the Evil Obi's storyline also. (I probably shouldn't call him the Evil Obi. Maybe the MU Obi) :)

20. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Ahhh...sigh....dark side Qui!!!!
    Oh...I think I remember the next post - ahhh....the visuals of light side Obi in dark side Obi's clothes.....
    THUD!!!!!!!

21. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Yes, you're right, FAB That will be the next post. Hope to have it up soon. :)

EDIT: Oops, actually that will be the post after the next one. :)

22. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    The Mirror's Other Side - Part Three
    By Arwyn Whitesun

----------------

"Touch me again and I'll kill you!"

Qui-Gon, who had been on his way to Obi-Wan's room in the infirmary, raced down the hall at the sound of that shout. It was Obi-Wan's voice but it was filled with rage. He entered the room and, for a moment, was so shocked at what he saw he could only stand and stare. Obi-Wan, dressed only in an infirmary gown, a bacta bandage on his head, was brandishing a chair at a nurse and a healer. His back was to Qui-Gon.

"We don't want to hurt you," the nurse said in a low, soothing voice. She was young with dark brown eyes and a sweet face. "Please, just put the chair down and get back into bed. You need your rest."

"I don't need any rest," Obi-Wan sneered. "I need to get out of here! Now give me my clothes!"

"Please, do as the nurse says," the healer, a tall, gray-haired man said. "Put the chair down."

Obi-Wan made as if to swing the chair at both of them.

"Obi-Wan!" Qui-Gon shouted. "Put down that chair."

Obi-Wan jerked at the sound of his voice. He turned, the chair still raised before him. At the sight of Qui-Gon, his face paled, his blue-gray eyes flaring with both defiance and fear.

"Obi-Wan, please," Qui-Gon said in a softer tone as he moved slowly towards him. "Put the chair down. No one is going to hurt you."

Obi-Wan's eyes narrowed. He looked behind him at the healer and nurse, gesturing with the chair for them to stay away. He turned back to Qui-Gon.

"They wanted to give me something for the pain, Lord." Obi-Wan shot the nurse and healer a disgusted glance. "I'm a Jedi! There is no peace, there is only pain. Pain makes me strong, not weak like you sheep!"

Qui-Gon looked down at Obi-Wan. Everything about him looked the same; his short-cropped red-gold hair, his padawan braid and lock, his blue-gray eyes, but Qui-Gon sensed only rage coming from his apprentice and it nearly knocked him over it was so strong.

"Obi-Wan, please, put the chair down. If you don't want or need pain medication, you won't be forced to take it."

As he continued to hold the chair, Obi-Wan stared up at him. A puzzled expression fell across his face, then suspicion, then a knowing leer.

"Oh, I see. Some kind of game, eh, Lord? Another one of your tests? Is that it?" Obi-Wan shrugged. "All right, I'll go along with it."

Obi-Wan put the chair on the floor. The nurse picked it up, but instead of placing it next to Obi-Wan's bed, where it had been before, she took it out of the room. The healer released a deep breath, then looked over at Qui-Gon.

"May I speak with you privately, Master Jinn?" he asked.

"Of course." Qui-Gon turned to Obi-Wan. "Why don't you get back into bed, Padawan."

Obi-Wan tilted his head and smiled, but it was a cold, empty smile. He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Sure, Lord. Whatever you say. I know how you like to play your little games."

Obi-Wan jumped back onto the bed and it rocked beneath him. He lay on top of the sheets, hands clasped behind his head, still grinning that wild, feral smile. Qui-Gon looked at him for a moment, then turned and walked away with the healer.

"Lord!"

Qui-Gon turned around. Obi-Wan laughed and shook his head as he pointed with his chin. "What's with those sheep's clothes you're wearing? Is that part of the game too?"

"Try to rest, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon said. "I'll be right back."

"Sure, whatever you say. But I hope you don't expect me to wear that crap."

Qui-Gon glanced over at the healer. He gestured with his head that Qui-Gon should accompany out of the room. Once outside, Qui-Gon turned to him.

"What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know, Master Jinn. He regained consciousness just a few moments ago. When the nurse came in to see if he needed something for the pain, he went crazy. She commed me and when I arrived your apprentice was trying to hit her with that chair."

"Could this behavior be a result of the injury to his head?"

The healer shrugged. "It's possible. We could run more tests if you?d lik

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    hehehehehe a 'test'? *snrk* yeah he would think it some test or some joke!

Poor Qui, unbeknownst to him about his 'Paddy' ... hehehehe

Great job!!!

(edit: Opps better not say anything cuz I doona wanna spoil it for those who haven't read it.)

24. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar! Yes, Qui-Gon is quite confused as the moment, as confused as his Obi-Wan is where he's at in the Mirror Universe. More to come!

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    How did I miss this? Sigh...I haven't gotten caught up yet, but I LOVE what I've read. Can't wait to read the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.