main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The misconceptions you had about Star Wars, when you were a kid.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Reign, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    C'mon we all had them. For instance thinking Darth Vader was called Dark Fader or A Lightsaber a Lifesaver.

Personally I always used to think that when Ben's sabre blade dissapeared in ANH his battery had run out.

Also when I was 8 or so I used to think that Boba Fett was Luke's brother because of a misconception of the line "He's no good to me dead" I used to think it was "He's no good to me Dad"

One of the early Star Wars memories I have is watching the Empire Strikes Back for the first time. I remember my dad saying that this one had the Bounty Hunter in it. During the first twenty minutes I was under the misconception that the Wampa was a bounty hunter sen't to kill Luke.

I also remember me and my friends thinking that there was a better form of Lightspeed called "Jungle Light Speed" coming from the line "Chewie get ready to make the Jungle Light Speed" which is obviously "Get ready to make the Jump to Lightspeed".

What little misconceptions did you have when you were a kid watching Star Wars?

2. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    I first saw ESB when I was about 10 on tv and I remember seeing Th snow scene, and it reminded me of Cliffhanger, because that movie gave me nightmares,(I haven't seen it again) anyways, I remember thinking it was a bad film, we had RoTJ and I didn't like the emperor, we had ANH and I only had half, up till alderaan blew up and I thought that was it, the bad guys won.

3. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    When I was a kid, before I saw the film I thought C3PO was a bad guy. He had glowing eyes you see.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I thought they were swedish movies!
    You see, I´m from Sweden and I listened to those tapes all my childhood. The voice actors were, of course, swedish, so there you have it!
    When I was about 10-11 years old, though, I finally got to see ANH.... Wow! :)

5. Zev_Senesca

Zev_Senesca Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    I always thought Ben Kenobi's name was "Ban" Kenobi. It's these Americans with their accents you see.

6. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    this is hilarious:

Vader already died twice in ANH in my eyes: I had the Marvel comics before I saw the film, but only part one and two, and I always thought Vader was shot by Luke after killing Ben on the deathstar...

...so when I saw the film Vader survived to my surprise, but at the end he spins off into space with his TIE, and I guess I missed the shot of stabelizing again, because I always assumed he would drift in space forever...

...You can imagine my surprise when he popped up in TESB again!

7. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I remember I used to think that Vader wanted the Millenium falcon because it was faster than his ships and he was jealous. I also used to think that the wampa was a snow wookie.

8. El-Elyon

Feb 27, 2002
    This is gonna be fun!!!
    I'll try and think of some more!!!

9. BrendanWOR

BrendanWOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    I thought that lightsabers were lifesavers. LOL. And before I saw Star Wars, but I had seen the word "Jedi" somewhere, I thought it was pronounced "Je-dee". :D

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Just like I though Qui-Gon was pronounced "Quee-Gon" :)

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "I remember I used to think that Vader wanted the Millenium falcon because it was faster than his ships and he was jealous."

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought that! I had so many misconceptions about Star Wars as a kid, it's really quite embarrassing thinking about all of them now. One of the few which I can remember (I can remember them all, actually, but if I posted them on here I'd might lose even more respect!) was during Star Wars, where Luke is watching the hologram of Princess Leia. In the scene he says, "Old Ben lives out beyound the Dune Sea. He's kind of a strange old hermit.." I mis-heard it was, "Old Ben loves out beyond the Dune Sea. He's kind of a strange old kermit." For a long time, I wondered if Kermit the Frog was a Jedi. I was a very odd child.

12. El-Elyon

Feb 27, 2002
    I thought stormtroopers were Vaders sons!!
    Hes got alot of 'em!!!

13. Darth_Dra-aken

Darth_Dra-aken Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    "I remember I used to think that Vader wanted the Millenium falcon because it was faster than his ships and he was jealous."

2 other ppl! I'm not the only one! :D

14. robot717

robot717 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2001
    I thought Star Wars was a boring bunch of flicks that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.I didn't come around until I was in my late-teens.
    I envy you all,getting to experience these films as kids.

15. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I used to think that the Stormtroopers were droids. And that Luke killed Vader on Dagobah, I didn't understand the face in the mask, or why Vader was still alive later in the film for that matter!

Also, I thought that Obi-Wan disappearing was a censorship thing because they weren't allowed to show him getting chopped in half!

16. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I first saw the movies when I was 3 or so, and I had a terrible problem with the accents and figures of speech. When you think that Ben felt that "millions of oysters suddenly cried out in terror," or that Darth instructed Piett to "prepare the bowling party," well, it becomes clear that there was something else of interest beyond the dialogue. ;)

17. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I thought that the Emperor was on the Executor in ESB, and that his scenes in ROTJ and ESB were all one movie. I blocked out everything else about ROTJ and merged those scenes into ESB. Interesting...

I also thought that the Millenium Falcon was just landing at the Death Star, and that the Death Star was a friendly Rebel ship.

18. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    This is a great thread! I saw Star Wars when I was 9, so I've got quite a few misonceptions, I just can't remember them all. :D

-I used to think Ackbar said "Concentrate all fire on that Super Cell Destroyer".

-I thought Moff Jerjerrod was Admiral Piett.

-I thought lightsabers were 'lightsavers' too. :D

-I thought Star Wars and Star Trek were the same thing. (How unconceiveable! [face_shocked])

I'm sure there's more, but the more I read this thread I'm sure my memory will be jogged. :)

19. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Personally I always used to think that when Ben's sabre blade dissapeared in ANH his battery had run out."

[face_laugh] I thought something along those lines as well.

Also, in ESB, I thought that Leia called Han a "scruffy looking nerve hurter."

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

20. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The first Star Wars movie I saw was ESB, and I think it was taped off of HBO or something. But, I use to think Luke's weapon was a lifesaver. And I didn't understand how he sucked the lifesaver out of the snow when he was hanging up side down.

21. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Remember that sigh of relief that Ackbar gives off after the Executor goes down? When I was a little kid I thought that he was upset because he knew Luke was onboard the Death Star.

Once my sister wanted to trick me, so she told me that Sy Snoodles was Luke and Leia's mother but had been transformed into that state by an evil force user. I actually believed her for a while.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    LOL. I want more evil sibling stories. :D

23. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I forgot who Sy Snootles is. Please tell me, someone!

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Singer in Jabba's palace, green, looks like a frog, lips about a foot long.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the second time I saw ANH I was paying more attention to the opening scroll. When I saw that it read "EpisodeIV" I thought George Lucas had already made episodes one through three and we had missed them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.