main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The mishandling of Season 5

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why? He thought Anakin could become more powerful than himself, and why would he think the Chosen One, with other's help, could not defeat his old apprentice with half machine? If he thought Anakin is that weak, he would never pick him as apprentice.

Maul only knew him as Sidious, not Palpatine, he didn't even know Plagueis' existence at that time.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Honestly, I want an Essential Guide to Star Wars Politics. Most of the CIS backers are represented in the Republic senate. :p

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not to say Anakin hates Maul a lot, if Anakin couldn't even defeat the half machine Maul with so much hate, then Sidious would never pick him as apprentice.

Pls do not overestimate Maul, you will see he's just weak in the next episode.

07jonesj likes this.
  4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, one of the reasons for the Clone Wars was to build up Anakin's skill to it's fullest potential. "Crisis on Naboo" pretty much reveals that he is pitting Anakin against Dooku over and over again, and when Anakin finally wins, Sidious puts ROTS into effect.

At this present point in time, Dooku is more powerful than Anakin, so I don't think Anakin could take on Maul and Savage.

In truth, we'll see how it's handled next week.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Who said Anakin would go there just by himself? With Obi Wan and a bunch of elite clone troopers would be more than enough, or let both Dooku and Anakin to deal with Maul brothers. Even those pirates owned Maul brothers easily.

I already read the book.

Sidious owned the brothers badly.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Maul is an immediate threat to Sidious as he knows Palpatine's identity and is no longer an apprentice.

The breaking of the Rule of Two is the biggest threat to the Master as uppity apprentices can make alliances and overthrow him. Putting Dooku next to Maul and Savage, who was briefly Dooku's apprentice does not seem like a good idea, especially when there is an imminent threat should Maul consolidate 2,000 neutral systems (yes, I think the whole 2,000 NEUTRAL systems rendering the Republic and CIS obsolete is monumentally stupid, but it is what it is).

Maul cheated death. That seems like something Sidious would be interested in and not something to be snuffed out by sending Dooku to kill Maul, nor something that you would want an apprentice potentially using for his own benefit.

Dooku is weaker than Sidious and more likely to fail.

**It hasn't been explicitly touched upon, but I wonder if Sidious knows about Savage. Savage was trained by Dooku to help kill Sidious. The Jedi are aware of Savage, and it would seem like Palpatine would be aware of him also. Though it's unclear if Sidious is aware of Dooku's botched coup.

Encouraging Dooku to take on both Savage AND Maul seems like a bad idea. Both because he knows Dooku's limits and perhaps feels it would be futile to send him, and also because even if Dooku wins, there is a danger of further betrayal.

I really see no reason to send Dooku.

If Dooku obeys orders to the letter, great. But there's always the chance that something is going to backfire horribly and the best way to ensure it won't is for Sidious to do it himself.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Filoni mentioned something about this on rebel force radio. Revival would feature Hondo's base intact, and there was going to be a scene inserted into the Onderon arc where Anakin gives Hondo the location of Illum in exchange for helping Ahsoka.

But apparently episode production happens at such a breakneck pace that it isn't/wasn't possible.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm glad they cut that out. That would have been Anakin's stupidest move ever. Isn't Ilum one of the Jedi's greatest resources?

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, Sidious only showed as Sidious to Maul, he didn't know him as Palpatine.

No, the biggest threat is Sidious expose his idenity, which would result in the collapse of the whole grand plan of both him and the Banite Sith. It would be the doom of the whole Banite Sith.

Those criminal organization and the Mandalore are not some tight alliance, they got no loyalty to Maul, nor would they really make a threat to either side. Again don't overestimate Maul.
    Because Obi Wan didn't make sure he's dead, Dooku is different.

Why would Dooku use Maul? He hates Maul like hell. He's a dirty Sith Lord but not that dirty. He even killed his mad former apprentice, why would he work with Maul?

Who said Dooku must go by himself alone? He could carry a ship of elite assassin droids with him. Even Hondo's pirates owned Maul brothers.

The biggest backfire is Sidious expose his own identity, nothing could be worse than it.

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    You really expect me to believe that when Maul is meeting with Sidious in person on Coruscant that he's incapable of seeing under the hood and doesn't recognize the guy that will become leader of the galaxy? He clearly knows of Palpatine's plan, given that he relents that the Clone Wars began without him.

Having Maul running around is a threat to his identity and the "collapse of the whole grand plan of both him and the Banite Sith."

The Jedi would want to CAPTURE Maul, not kill him. That's a huge threat to Sidious. Mace even states that the CAPTURE of Maul is far too important. Dooku has already demonstrated that he wants Sidious dead. And given Sidious' intelligence as well as being kept in the loop regarding Jedi intelligence, I'd feel confident that he's aware that Dooku tried to have him killed. If Dooku deals with Maul he could use Maul, or he could force Savage into servitude again, or he could capitalize on things and kill them both and use Death watch to win over 2,000 systems loyal to him. There are a lot of opportunities for treachery there.

Anakin hates Sidious, that didn't stop him from being his apprentice. The Sith are supposed to hate each other. They are not pals... like at all. The operation of the Sith Order hinges on the ambitions of apprentices hating and wanting to overthrow their master. And the master sees every apprentice as expendable, if they cannot prove themselves to be the strongest available. If Dooku saw an opportunity to take out Sidious with Maul's cooperation, I do not see why they wouldn't cooperate. They might hate each other, but that doesn't mean anything. Dooku hates Sidious, Anakin hates Sidious, Dooku hates Maul, Maul hates Dooku, Savage hated Dooku, etc. You keep coming back to the idea that for some reason Dooku is just relentlessly angry at Maul over the death of Qui-Gon that he'll want him dead. There is no evidence for that. If Anakin can set aside his hatred for Sidious, anything is possible.

Seerow, JackG and 07jonesj like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, same as the CIS leaders didn't recognize him, too. Maul only knew him as Sidious, not Palpatine.

Anakin is quite different, he hates Maul a lot and it's not like you could make sure you only capture him. Sidious could also contact Maul at the same time, control both sides to let them have a deadly fight, it's easy for him to do. The Jedi wanted to capture Dooku, but what happened in the end?

Because Anakin, Sidious, Maul and Dooku are different people, why didn't Vader try to work with the clone Maul later? Same for Dooku. And he would not be able to hide Maul from Sidious, why would he take the risk to do so? Sidious knew Maul, he could sense Maul unless he went mad, the plan would not work at all.

12. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Dooku could take Maul alone but I am not so sure he could take both Maul and Savage at once esp after watching Ventress and Savage tag team him. Now if Dooku had Grevious with him hmmm but that seems very risky having both CIS leaders in danger at once. Sidious going himself makes total sense. My main question is how does the Supreme Chancellor just get away like that. Where the heck do people think PALPATINE is?

13. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Asleep? :p

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nobody said Dooku should go alone, he's the leader of CIS and got a lot of minions to use.

He only told Mas Amedda before he left, maybe Mas will do some cover.

That's the problem, Sidious go by himself and use the Dark Side to fight Maul brothers would let the Jedi sense it, and if any of them could find out the chancellor was missing at that time, plus Dooku's words, then they would strongly suspect Palpatine. That's why I'm saying let Sidious go by himself is super stupid.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine never sleeps after he killed Plagueis.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I know that's said in the EU but he has to have slept at some point, right?

Regardless, we have a Detours sketch in the making here.

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That would be nice... a guide to the politics of the show the least cause Lucas has created a mess with the politics. Most CIS backers are not in the Republic Senate. [face_laugh]

Most are in the INFAMOUS SEPARATIST COUNCIL... that one that "The Clone Wars" crew has forgotten about.

07jonesj likes this.
  18. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    They're not? Damn, time to go surf Wookieepedia I guess and brush up my SW knowledge on the Trade Federation, Banking Clan etc.

We definitely should see the Separatist Council at some point in this show, after all they're in both AOTC and ROTS.

19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    What there is in the Senate, thanks to Lucas, are just pawns of the CIS leaders - a pawn of the Trade Federation (Dod), a pawn of the IGBC (Card) and a pawn of the Techno Union (Saam)... ;)

I would not call them backers.

The show needs to make them appear more and more since they are in the movies and it is pathetic that a pirate that has never appeared in any other media has appeared more than any of the Council Leaders. Even Gunray who was a main villain in the Prequels has appeared less than Hondo or even Pre Vizsla - I hate that laziness!

07jonesj likes this.
  20. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I don't know what anybody has to complain about. Season 5 is some of the best television ever made.

21. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Totally agreed. Season Five has been amazing... I love it.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    [quote="klooney, post: 50381196, member: 1354434"]I don't know what anybody has to complain about. Season 5 is some of the best television ever made.[/quote]

-Unnecessarily long arcs.
    -Too little variety of tales given that every tale ate up 1/5 of the season.
    -The exciting Clovis arc (or it at least looked exciting) has been dropped
    -Onderon being a boring, predictable, unnecessarily long story with missed opportunities and continuity hiccups in regards to how Mina can be so staunchly CIS and be treated as a hero while the legitimate king on her planet is oppressed.
    -The Droid arc consisting of some of the worst episodes of TCW, an unnecessarily long waste of time to get a macguffin.

The fact that these two arcs themselves eat up 40% of the season with abominable tales.

YJ was decent, though I felt it too ran too long. Though I liked the first two episodes of it. I feel like Ahsoka and the kids should have repelled Hondo and that it should have ended there.

The only real gem this season has been the three Maul episodes released so far.

So in short I feel like this is the worst season yet as a whole.

(all IMO, of course).

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think season 5 has still been better than a good chunk of season 3.

24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Onderon Arc : was so boring i rather watch paint dry
    Young Jedi arc :Good story and it had som nice characters
    Droid Arc : WTF :mad:
    Darth Maul Arc : It is a epic storyline and i can't wait to see the end of it =D=

Huyang likes this.
  25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, I would rather watch paint dry more than Mortis viewing.

Onderon started out slow, but it is best when watched together. The second half is fun.

Young Jedi is a fun arc for the younger audience, but not dissing the older fans.

Droids arc - a little fun breath in before the **** storm known as Maul. It was a good arc.

The Maul arc for is a lazy arc that is really lame, relies too much on fan service and I can not wait for it to end so we could get some good things after it. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.