Arena The MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    They're bland, bland, bland, very much like the current uni's for the San Diego Padres.
  2. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i haven't been following the nl very closely the past few seasons. do the astros have a midget on their team?
  3. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    If not, they should. The Astro-midget.

edit: 18k on this account!
    Last edited by Coruscant, Nov 3, 2012
  4. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  5. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    His ex-wife move to LA with the kids or what?
  6. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So all the postseason awards this year have three (five for MVP) official nominations and the results are being aired live on the MLB Network each night this week. And conveniently, they've interviewed the winner just moments before each award has been announced, with none of the other nominees around. It's almost as if they know in advance. Based on that, I'm predicting Buck Showalter and Bob Melvin tie for AL Manager of the Year, since they're both on.

Edit - Also, the Blue Jays are apparently on the verge of trading for Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonafacio, and John Buck from the Marlins. When is Jeffrey Loria forced out of baseball?

Amazing.
    Last edited by AmazingB, Nov 13, 2012
  7. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10

I don't know. :p

@AmazingB: Perhaps I'm a bit vindictive because how they handled Strasburg, but I'm a bit annoyed at seeing Johnson getting NL Manager of the Year. Weren't the Nats expected to be good? They met their expectations! :p And for the 5 diehard Marlins out there, I feel for them. What a terribly run organization.
  8. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    To be fair, Strasburg wasn't Johnson's choice, that was all Mike Rizzo. And the Manager of the Year award is kind of a nebulous thing anyway. Calcaterra has a good write up about it here. And a lot of people didn't expect the Nationals to compete until next year. Remember when the Marlins were the trendy pick in the East? Yeah.

Amazing.
  9. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    If I were Giancarlo Stanton I'd be demanding a trade.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
  11. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    MLB has got to get their awards out earlier. Got to.
    Darth McClain likes this.
  12. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Fair enough, but I would have hoped for some blow back against the organization over the Strasburg (even though Johnson is a good manager) ... and I think a better case can be made for Mike Matheny to have been the N.L. manager of the year.
  13. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So true. People have already lost interest.
  14. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Man, the Miami community has to be up in arms this morning. They get gouged paying for that new park and then the team has another fire sale. I feel really sorry for the fans and especially the taxpayers down there.

Maybe they're trying to free up money so they can acquire A-Fraud... lol.
  15. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    And no title to show for it this time.

Edit: ESPN is reporting that Torii Hunter signed a two year deal with the Tigers.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Nov 14, 2012
  16. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Just an insane deal for the Jays. I am happy. :)
    DarthTunick likes this.
  17. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8629415/miami-marlins-long-season-2013-mlb

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...enius-then-theres-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria

Varying opinions on the Marlins latest fire sale.... I can buy a bit of the argument from Keri that Loria is an evil genius, but he's still scum for what he's done here & the damage done to Montreal baseball.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...-young-becoming-first-knuckleballer-win-award

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/story/...-award-edging-justin-verlander-detroit-tigers

I'm very, very happy to see Dickey winning the N.L. Cy Young.
  18. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  19. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    It was really an almost foregone certainty once Cabrerra won the Triple Crown.

Did anybody really think Ryan Braun had any sort of shot at repeating with the sports writers after he basically got away with that failed drug test after last year's MVP win?
  20. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought the Marlins were over-hyped this year anyway, but thought next year they would of been good. Now they just completely ruined that. They do have a nice ballpark, but will people come now?

edit: Braun? I thought he might of.

But Harper really for NL Rookie? Really?
    Last edited by TheGuardianofArlon, Nov 16, 2012
  21. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
  22. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Trout absolutely deserved the MVP, but I wasn't exactly surprised by the results.

Amazing.
  23. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    If Cabrera didn't get the triple crown, then Trout would had. But on the other hand Trout has plenty of time to get it anyway..
    Last edited by TheGuardianofArlon, Nov 16, 2012
  24. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Upping for some baseball talk.

Ken Rosenthal wrote this morning that the Mariners, Yankees, Rangers and Pirates had "significant interest" in signing free agent catcher Russell Martin. Please god let him resign with the Yanks or go to the Rangers. He's like Rod Barajas but younger and PNC park eats right handed batters for lunch. Save the cash and sign a real pitcher to plug into the already decent rotation and call up Tony Sanchez and let him split time with Michael McKenry. Sanchez will at least walk a few times and hit .220. Plus you save the money you would on Martin.
  25. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7