main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ahhh, I've heard that quite a lot about it... a shame really, because there was something rather great & unique about the old Yankee Stadium.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And this is why many consider the baseball HOF to be one big joke. If your going to deny everybody from here on out because 'everybody's tainted' by Steroids, then just close the damn hall, erase all the records and just restart the baseball season as Season One of the MLB and then do another HOF in 20 years when all the previous HOF voters have all died off.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll repeat what I said on Facebook about this. :

There is something very wrong with the HOF. Sure, it's ok to put in players, managers, etc. from era's that didn't include players who weren't white, mounds that were higher, when there were other drug issues in the 70's & 80's, but let's take a moral stance on the Steroid era? Please.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd imagine that's how it would look like if there was a BBWA convention.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Just wait till the next two years when so many more great players are added. If they don't increase the 10-vote limit, it might be years before anyone gets in again. Other than Maddux. He's going in next year.

Amazing.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    What a joke. The HoF needs to overhaul its system, because this can't happen. It's not good for baseball, for the fans, or the players.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone who thinks Craig Biggio isn't a hall of famer needs to have their ballot revoked. I'm serious. I don't agree and I don't like it, but I can somewhat understand not voting in guys linked with steroids. But Craig Biggio is a ******* hall of famer. Period.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    For all the faults of the Pro Football HOF voting system (and there are a few), I can at least sit back and happily know that come Super Bowl weekend, we'll know of at least five people who'll go into Canton in August.

12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't think the issue with baseball is necessarily the system. It's the voters (I know they're sort of one and the same, but still). Too many of them have decided on their own that players who used or were suspected or using or who look a little bigger than players used to look shouldn't be in the Hall. I think any voter who submitted a blank ballot or wrote an article detailing their own version of the rules, and plenty did, should have their vote revoked. It'll never happen, but it would help fix things.

Amazing.

Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    BS Answer: It's probably because the voters looked at his former team and figured it wasn't worth putting an Astro in there because they aren't any good now.

Real answer: I completely agree. Biggio deserves to be in the Hall.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Who the hell thought Curt Shilling wasn't worthy enough to be a first ballot HOFer?

15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I actually think Schilling is kind of borderline. He probably belongs, but I can see a well-reasoned argument against him. Biggio, however, is one of the handful of best second basemen of all time.

Amazing.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I guess I'm of the opinion that gutting it out in game 6 of the NLCS vs the Yankees, which was win or go home for the Red Sox, with a bloody sock and a cadaver tenden sewed into his ankle merits a HOF vote. I mean if he hadn't been able to go, the argument could be made that history would be quite different for the Red Sox right now.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't think one historic game should merit that much consideration or be the difference in voting and not voting. Jack Morris is in that category. He was a thoroughly average pitcher for the bulk of his career, but keeps getting votes almost entirely because of Game 7 of the '91 series. Like I said, I tend to think Schilling should (and eventually will) be in, but I think there's a decent case against him.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm with you, Amazing. Schilling is the better version of Morris. Schilling's sock is already in the Hall of Fame, so that story is told in Cooperstown. I'm not 100% convinced that the body of work that is Schilling's career is HoF worthy.

Hall of Famous? Yes
    Hall of Very good? Yes
    Hall of Fame? Maybe.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Morris to me is a great example of someone who had a very good career, but just doesn't belong in the HOF... one of those who would belong in a 'Hall of the Very Good'. Also, how did Piazza not get voted in? The bad blood (for Dodger fans) aside, his talent was never in question.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Because he was big and Murray Chass saw him with a shirt off and declared his back acne to be a clear indicator of steroids. Murray Chass has a Hall of Fame vote. This is the problem.

Amazing.

21. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Shilling is kind of overrated. He was an solid pitcher on a bunch of really good teams. I'll agree with the Morris comparison as well. I'm not saying he won't get in eventually for the the big game heroics but it might take 3 or 4 times for it to stick.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So is it going to be like, ten years of nobody in the baseball HOF? Because there's a good majority of people that played during the 'steroid era' retiring/coming up in the next 10 - 15 years. If so, then there needs to be a great big plaque in Cooperstown explaining why nobody voted for anybody into the HOF during that time with the words STEROID ERA etched big in stone.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Next year Maddux is money in the bank and Frank Thomas is a pretty strong candidate. He doesn't fit that steroid era body type change. He's always been a beast. I think Biggio get's in the second time around, same thing with Piazza.

I don't think these 4 getting in next year are out of the question.

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    "For a hundred years, the Hall of Fame was the keeper of the names in the baseball world. Before the dark times . . . before the Steroid Age or years with no Hall inductees . . ."

Just had to be said.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Sadly, you're right.