Arena The MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Agreed. With major overhaul of the voting system and voters doubtful in that short a time period, this may be the 2014 Hall class.
  2. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I need to say something before this gets out of hand. Schilling is leagues better than Morris, to the point that comparing them is an insult to Schilling. Morris belongs in the conversation with Dennis Martinez and Mickey Lolich and behind Dave Stieb and Rick Reuschel. Schilling is a borderline candidate who probably belongs. Morris shouldn't have lasted more than a ballot or two.

Amazing.
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  4. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    All these guys turning in blank ballots and boasting about it in the press I feel like it's a huge cop out. They should have their voting privilege taken away.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    At least the writers who vote in the pro football HOF have to vote for at least five guys into Canton. It may not always be who people want (seriously, when IS Andre Reed ever going to get into the Hall?), but you can safely say that, due to the system that's in place, there will never be a year where Canton sits empty.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jan 9, 2013
  6. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Football doesn't have a morals clause in voting either.
  7. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Sometime way after Carter and Brown do?

The Hall doesn't like modern wide receivers it seems.
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Who knows. Hopefully we'll get a WR in this year.

And I'll take this speculation over to the NFL thread, since this is the MLB one.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
  10. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Yep. About sums this mess up.
  11. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Times thing is clever, but SB Nation did it first.

Amazing.
  12. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Can someone help me out here. I'm trying to think of something I care about less than the World Baseball Classic. It's the ultimate "meh"
  13. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The NFL Pro - Bowl.
    Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  14. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The idea of the World Baseball Classic has a some potential in it, but the execution is just awful. And, you end up with things like Mike Piazza playing for Italy.
  16. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The problem is there is no good way to execute it. Early Spring Training is the best time to do it and it's a terrible time to do it. And the MLB already has all the best players in the world, so a means of bringing them all together in a tournament is kind of silly. The World Cup works for soccer because there's not one country or one league where all the best players ultimately strive to play.

I understand why MLB wants to do it, they want to spread the popularity of baseball to other countries so they can ultimately have their best players come here. But I think every fan will be pissed if their team's season is negatively impacted due to injury or ineffectiveness because of the WBC.

Amazing.
    Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  17. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I think it's dumb. Just work on getting baseball back into the Olympics. I'll be honest here and say I don't care about either but at least the Olympics has a little more importance to it. I don't want my favorite star playing in games that don't matter outside of MLB.
  18. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  19. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    "The Man" especially as Musial was known as contributed majorly but quietly as compared to DiMaggio and Williams. He is and also will be the greatest St. Louis Cardinals' baseball player ever to me.
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Two greats, certainly.

A friend posted a hilarious and very NSFW video of one of Weaver's "respectful disagreements" with an umpire over a balk call. Priceless.
  21. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I liked Stan Musial. Heck of a ball player in his era.
  22. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Best baseball player from western Pennsylvania in my book.

edit: Good news for the Bucs, bad news for the Brewers. Corey Hart is going to miss 3 to 4 months with knee surgery.
    Last edited by Rox, Jan 20, 2013
  23. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  24. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    :oops:

I still don't know whether I like this trade or not. Not thrilled with losing Prado, Delgado, or Ahmed, although I have to admit the Braves have enough depth to easily weather the losses of Delgado and Ahmed (plenty of other good pitching prospects, two others ahead of Ahmed at short). I guess its really more that I'm not sold on either Justin Upton or Chris Johnson. Hopefully it'll still work out, though.

Come to think of it, I like this trade a lot more than I liked the BJ Upton signing. Which isn't saying much at all :p