main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I've never understood this logic. I heard the same argument a few times with respect to a salary cap, that for some reason a salary floor is also necessary. I just don't see how it makes sense. If the right thing for a team is to cut their payroll drastically to start rebuilding, they shouldn't be penalized for it. They'll be penalized enough. The Astros are staring at their third straight 100-loss season and, in all likelihood, piss-poor attendance. What are they supposed to do? Go out and spend $10 million on some mid-level free agent who's going to bump them from 55 to 57 wins? Aren't they better off spending that money on draft picks, international signings, or saving it for available free agents when they might finally be good again? Payroll might be the most visible piece of a team's budget, but it's certainly not the only piece.

Amazing.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    AmazingB, what do you think about the Verlander deal? He's 30, and throws fire. I'm not sure he's a pitcher I can see as effective at 37-38. Interesting since we were just discussing Santana yesterday, lots of similarities.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You'll note - I'm not saying I'm in favor of a salary floor, nor am I in favor of a salary cap. I actually like what MLB does with a luxury tax on team salaries that get too high. I'd want the same thing in place on the low end of the spectrum. If you don't spend enough money on payroll salaries, you get less of a pie of the revenue sharing piece. Not enough to cripple your ability to reload, but enough to make sure a team isn't forgoing the ability to compete just to line their own pockets.

4. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    If I was a Tiger's fan I'd consider it necessary and terrifying. He's thrown a ton of innings the last few years and I wouldn't expect him to be worth $20 million a year during the latter half of this deal, even if he stays healthy. That said, the Tigers are favorites as much as anyone for the World Series this year, and a happy Verlander is a necessary piece to that. I feel exactly the same way about Buster Posey's contract, even though he's younger and a catcher.

I see, I misunderstood, still not sure I agree, but makes sense. And to that point, I did enjoy when MLB "encouraged" the Marlins to spend on player salaries a few years ago (I think it was the Marlins). If the Astros sit on a $25 million payroll for years on end, then I'd like to see something done.

Amazing.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Watching the Yankees-Nationals from replay today, Nats went with their full lineup and Petitte looks excellent. Certainly encouraging, as I don't have much faith in the reliability of Nova or especially Hughes. If we are going to beat expectations, it will have to be with pitching.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Even with the other renovations that I can't really form an opinion on (such as the new video boards, the improved concession areas) until I go to my first game of the season at the ballpark, one of them is already a huge plus for stadium:

[​IMG]

Right above the fence, where ads used to be, are rows of flowers. A close up (and a better photo courtesy of a Dodger blog) :

[​IMG].

Not bad, not bad at all. Hopefully ads won't be placed on the front facing part of the flower bed, but for now it's a vast aesthetic improvement to the left & right field bleachers.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Oh what lovely flowers. Let's go on a ****ing picnic!

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though the Rangers/Astros have a game tonight, Opening Day really isn't until tomorrow... and I'm all sorts of crazy excited.

[face_party]

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Finally! Only a few hours until the games begin.

11. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    If ESPN was hell-bent on having a terrible announcer who I hate, they should have just kept Joe Morgan. Listening to John Kruk is already annoying.

Amazing.

Eeth-my-Koth and tjace like this.
  12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    And another thing: We're just two innings into the full season and they're not even talking about the game any more. They're hyping the Dodgers/Giants game tomorrow. ESPN makes it harder and harder to watch.

On the plus side, the Astros new uniforms are kind of awesome.

Amazing.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    is there even such a thing as a good baseball color commentator?

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm admittedly biased, but Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are thoroughly enjoyable. The Yankees have a small army of them, among them David Cone and John Flaherty are pretty good.

Amazing.

DarthTunick and wannasee like this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ah, the mariners have always had terrible ones. and the national ones (tim mccarver) are generally even worse.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    McCarver is gone next year, I believe.

I've always thought highly of Harold Reynolds- seems to know his stuff and isn't abrasive.

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I can't stand him. The sounds that come out of his fat face kind of make me sick and I'm a fat dude too.

18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    When McCarver was calling Mets games in the 80s and 90s, he was pretty awesome. People who only know him from Fox never believe that, but what he is now is a shell of what he was.

Amazing.

19. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I like it when John Smoltz announces, though I'm a bit biased.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

One of the primary reasons as to why I renewed the MLB Extra Innings for my DirecTV was for SNY. Cohen/Darling/Hernandez are fantastic, informative & funny without being obnoxious... I hate it when their broadcasts are blacked out whenever the Dodgers visit Queens. Wasn't able to watch tonight's ESPN telecast, so I'll have to wait until next Sunday to see how bad Kruk is. Luckily tomorrow's Giants/Dodgers game is also being broadcast locally, so I'll be ushering in the new season the right with Vin Scully. :D Yeah, the Dodgers had quite the offseason, but truthfully I'm always this ******* excited at the start of the season. It will be difficult for me to sleep tonight. :p

21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    2013 Predictions I'm practically guaranteed to be wrong about because I am every year:

-The Dodgers, despite their payroll, will not make the playoffs
    -Roy Halladay undergoes season ending surgery before June
    -Baltimore will finish under .500
    -Seattle shocks the world and battles Houston for last place
    -Pittsburgh shocks the world and battles Chicago for last place
    -Despite once again being the best player in baseball, Mike Trout still doesn't win the MVP

Amazing.

22. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Happy Opening Day!

23. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yay, opening day!

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I'm not even attempting to make predictions this season. Should be a real strange year. Expect the unexpected.
    And I do like the Astros bringing back the retro logo. But I'm not a fan of the retro unis from a different era.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I might actually go to a baseball game since one of my friends who is a huge baseball nut is turning 21 in June.