Arena The MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Was hoping (selfishly, for AL East reasons) that Gonzo would do a little better than 1 for 7 today, Tunick.

He's still hovering over .400 though, which is remarkable for a power hitter. Saw the great news that Hanley is way ahead of schedule and is set to return for his bobblehead night on 4/30.
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I genuinely do think Young's catch is better. I think Endy Chavez's catch is better still, and that one remains the best I've seen in my life.
  3. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Billingsley to DL. Yikes, I hope Lilly is ready to roll soon.

Nova is not in a good spot facing this Jays lineup, they've abused him. Hopefully Josh Johnson doesn't pick today to return to form.
  4. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    There's a lot of talk about Nova's "new mechanics" on the local blogs here. He hasn't shown it in control / WHIP thus far but his Ks appear to be REALLY up, no?
  5. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    That's interesting, I've heard a bit on that too. I'd say definitely they're up over 2011- last year's torrid start makes it hard to say, his Ks were up big before the All-Star break, and then he really limped home, I think he was 2-5 or 2-6 and had some injury problems.

He's got the build to be a power pitcher, he just gives up way too many home runs. The current Jays roster has 6 against him, I read earlier- notable since most of that roster is new.
  6. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in current strikeout rates. Strikeouts are up significantly all over baseball the last few years (this is why there have been so many no-hitters, even though scoring is still on the high side, historically-speaking).

Amazing.
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  8. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    With Liriano coming off the DL in about a week I think Jonathan Sanchez has pitched his way off the Pirates roster. He's been terribly wild.
  9. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    He hasn't been good since the Giants traded him away in the Melky Canrera deal, and he was struggling before then.
  10. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    DarthTunick likes this.
  11. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10

It will be a dangerous game for the Dodgers to rely on Lilly & Stephen Fife for an extended period of time, but they've got no other choice for now. As for Gonzalez, he's been a gem (along with Carl Crawford) to start this season... both he & Crawford are the only 2 consistent hitters on the team so far. I figured Gonzalez, with a full spring training under his belt with this team, would have a bounce back year, and anything Crawford is doing now is gravy, since he wasn't supposed to be back until May. Glad to see they manage to end the losing streak yesterday afternoon, and it's a positive sign (hopefully) that Kemp went 3-5.

http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2013/04/22/the-luis-cruz-experiment-just-isnt-working-out/

I don't see how he's still getting starts past this month. And, on the subject of catches:

It may not be the best catch ever, but (to date) it's my favorite catch made by a Dodger.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 22, 2013
  12. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Pat Sheridan. He is not only my car insurance agent he went ot my high school. Just thought I'd share.
  13. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I should have known better. The minute after I posted this, Kuroda left the game and our bullpen took all of 3 minutes to lose his lead. Then today, Captain Cheeseburger loafed around for seven miserable innings and gave up three jacks.

Cue the Charlie Brown music.
    Last edited by heels1785, Apr 22, 2013
    PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  14. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    I'm still annoyed that Kuroda isn't pitching for the Dodgers.
    heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I like to think of him as our compensatory payment for Kevin Brown.
  16. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Reports linking Robinson Cano to Biogenesis. Don't know much about it, but can't say I'd be particularly surprised.
  17. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  18. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Yeah right :p

Anyway leaving shortly for the game, got seats down the foul line on the 3rd base side. Here's hoping for a souvenir! (Or at least, not getting my head knocked off)
    Last edited by Point Given, Apr 23, 2013
  19. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Damn Niese just exited the game. Got nailed by a line drive.
  20. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Well that was disappointing. We had entry to the Promenade Club with our tickets so we watched the Knicks since it was clear the Dodgers were gonna win. Congrats Tunes
    DarthTunick likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I don't care what anyone says ... Back-to-back Upton homers is cool
    DarthTunick likes this.
  22. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Went to the Met game last night. I'm reasonably sure it was the first grand slam I've seen in person and I'm positive it was the first walk-off homer. Pretty cool.

Amazing.
  23. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    I had to switch off from the game yesterday during the 6th inning, due to the Lakers/Spurs playoff game... was able to tune back at halftime, and within a minute doing so, Valdespin hit that walk off grand slam*. A rather deflating night on my end, but the series for the Bums was salvaged today with a tidy 3-2 win that saw Juan Uribe walk 3 times (3?!), and Kemp continuing to get his swing back (2-3 today with an RBI, 10 hits on this road trip... it took the previous 15 games to get 10 hits).

*I've been fortunate to have been in attendance at Dodger Stadium for a few walk off home runs (and one walk off hit) over the years, including a walk off grand slam (courtesy of Russell Martin (against Pittsburgh) in April of '07). Obviously each game was rather thrilling & special, but one game (so far) stands out above the rest:

As of now, that remains the most insane/special/crazy baseball game I've ever attended.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 25, 2013
  24. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Oooops...
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 25, 2013
  25. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
  26. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Is it too early to lol @ the Blue Jays yet?