main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Arena The MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Was hoping (selfishly, for AL East reasons) that Gonzo would do a little better than 1 for 7 today, Tunick.

He's still hovering over .400 though, which is remarkable for a power hitter. Saw the great news that Hanley is way ahead of schedule and is set to return for his bobblehead night on 4/30.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I genuinely do think Young's catch is better. I think Endy Chavez's catch is better still, and that one remains the best I've seen in my life.

3. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Billingsley to DL. Yikes, I hope Lilly is ready to roll soon.

Nova is not in a good spot facing this Jays lineup, they've abused him. Hopefully Josh Johnson doesn't pick today to return to form.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's a lot of talk about Nova's "new mechanics" on the local blogs here. He hasn't shown it in control / WHIP thus far but his Ks appear to be REALLY up, no?

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's interesting, I've heard a bit on that too. I'd say definitely they're up over 2011- last year's torrid start makes it hard to say, his Ks were up big before the All-Star break, and then he really limped home, I think he was 2-5 or 2-6 and had some injury problems.

He's got the build to be a power pitcher, he just gives up way too many home runs. The current Jays roster has 6 against him, I read earlier- notable since most of that roster is new.

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in current strikeout rates. Strikeouts are up significantly all over baseball the last few years (this is why there have been so many no-hitters, even though scoring is still on the high side, historically-speaking).

Amazing.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    VERNON WELLS!

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    With Liriano coming off the DL in about a week I think Jonathan Sanchez has pitched his way off the Pirates roster. He's been terribly wild.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

May 20, 2008
    He hasn't been good since the Giants traded him away in the Melky Canrera deal, and he was struggling before then.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthTunick likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SfC Part IV Commissioner star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It will be a dangerous game for the Dodgers to rely on Lilly & Stephen Fife for an extended period of time, but they've got no other choice for now. As for Gonzalez, he's been a gem (along with Carl Crawford) to start this season... both he & Crawford are the only 2 consistent hitters on the team so far. I figured Gonzalez, with a full spring training under his belt with this team, would have a bounce back year, and anything Crawford is doing now is gravy, since he wasn't supposed to be back until May. Glad to see they manage to end the losing streak yesterday afternoon, and it's a positive sign (hopefully) that Kemp went 3-5.

http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2013/04/22/the-luis-cruz-experiment-just-isnt-working-out/

I don't see how he's still getting starts past this month. And, on the subject of catches:

It may not be the best catch ever, but (to date) it's my favorite catch made by a Dodger.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent 2017 Celebrity Deathpool Winner star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Pat Sheridan. He is not only my car insurance agent he went ot my high school. Just thought I'd share.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I should have known better. The minute after I posted this, Kuroda left the game and our bullpen took all of 3 minutes to lose his lead. Then today, Captain Cheeseburger loafed around for seven miserable innings and gave up three jacks.

Cue the Charlie Brown music.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm still annoyed that Kuroda isn't pitching for the Dodgers.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I like to think of him as our compensatory payment for Kevin Brown.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2005
    Reports linking Robinson Cano to Biogenesis. Don't know much about it, but can't say I'd be particularly surprised.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Point Given

Point Given Mod of Literature and Community star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah right :p

Anyway leaving shortly for the game, got seats down the foul line on the 3rd base side. Here's hoping for a souvenir! (Or at least, not getting my head knocked off)

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Damn Niese just exited the game. Got nailed by a line drive.

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Well that was disappointing. We had entry to the Promenade Club with our tickets so we watched the Knicks since it was clear the Dodgers were gonna win. Congrats Tunes

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral VIP star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't care what anyone says ... Back-to-back Upton homers is cool

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Went to the Met game last night. I'm reasonably sure it was the first grand slam I've seen in person and I'm positive it was the first walk-off homer. Pretty cool.

Amazing.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I had to switch off from the game yesterday during the 6th inning, due to the Lakers/Spurs playoff game... was able to tune back at halftime, and within a minute doing so, Valdespin hit that walk off grand slam*. A rather deflating night on my end, but the series for the Bums was salvaged today with a tidy 3-2 win that saw Juan Uribe walk 3 times (3?!), and Kemp continuing to get his swing back (2-3 today with an RBI, 10 hits on this road trip... it took the previous 15 games to get 10 hits).

*I've been fortunate to have been in attendance at Dodger Stadium for a few walk off home runs (and one walk off hit) over the years, including a walk off grand slam (courtesy of Russell Martin (against Pittsburgh) in April of '07). Obviously each game was rather thrilling & special, but one game (so far) stands out above the rest:

As of now, that remains the most insane/special/crazy baseball game I've ever attended.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Holy Anibal Sanchez.

DarthTunick and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  26. DT421

DT421 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Is it too early to lol @ the Blue Jays yet?