main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Angel Hernandez managed to blow a replay review. That's got to be pretty hard to do, even through sheer incompetence.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    This Dodger season thus far, captured beautifully in this gif:

[​IMG].

Also, Paul Goldschmidt is a bad, bad man.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tunick, have you considered following hockey? :p

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Even more surprising: Cleveland was involved, it was sports, someone got screwed, and it wasn't Cleveland!

Darth McClain likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    tom: I've considered it, sure, but haven't made the leap yet.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe it was a touch of good karma to balance out the Cavs rehiring Mike Brown?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Vernon Wells played third base last night for the Yanks for exactly one inning, the ninth, and his fielding percentage was a perfect 1.000- Carlos Gonzalez groundout.

That'll be a trivia question some day.

8. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    In the further adventures of umpires screwing up, the umps in the Astros/Angels game allowed an illegal pitching change to take place, with the Astros bringing in Wesley Wright to face a lefty, and then immediately taking him out when the Angels countered with a pinch hitter. The rules say any reliever, barring injury, must face at least one hitter. The Angels ended up winning so it didn't matter, but this would have actually been a protest that was upheld, because it represented a misapplication of the rules, rather than a judgment call. And baseball responded by suspending the crew chief, Fieldin Culbreth for 2 games.

Amazing.

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Was there an MLB umpire strike that nobody told us about?

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No hit bid for Wainwright through 6.

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Don't you know that you never, ever talk about no hit bids? :p

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha, true. I apologize to Jon Hamm and all Cards fans everywhere.

13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    lol @ karma ever favoring Cleveland.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

In order for a 8 game losing streak to end, crazy & odd things have to happen, and taking the honors tonight for the Dodgers are: Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gordon hitting a solo home run (going over the right field wall, not some cheap slap shot down the line), Schumaker going 2-3 with 3 RBI's, Uribe collecting 2 RBI's, and Ethier going 4-4 (scored 3 runs). As bad as these Bums have been lately, they'd be in much worse shape without Ryu, who not only book ended the Dodgers last 2 wins, but has gone at least 6 innings in each of his starts so far (obviously including last night). Rather niiiiiiiiiiice, wouldn't you say? Of course, it's only 1 win (and against the Marlins to boot, who ought to be playing in AA ball), and there's still all the drama that surrounds Kemp's power reduction/Mattingly's job status/all the expectations going into this season, but a respite is still very much welcome.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I've always like Dee Gordon. An automatic steal just about every time he gets on base in The Show.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Him and billy Hamilton. I just stole 107 bases with him in one season!

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I posted this on Facebook to pretty much bait Tunick but I will mention this here too. I can't my Pirates have a better record at this point than the Dodgers with the mega payroll and all.

Starling Marte for the Pirates is tearing it up this year. Break out season hopefully. The Pirates need this to be a winning season, hell I need this. Plus if there are playoffs I will probably use it as an excuse to fly home and visit my parent for a 2nd time this year.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Finishing the season with a winning record would be something better to brag about, Rox.

:p

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm still mentally preparing myself for another collapse...last year really stung.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Me too DMC, me too. The 12 year old in me is super pumped but the 34 year old cynic sitting here typing is waiting for the collapse. Liriano's performance has me excited though. AJ, Wandy and Liriano could be a nice one thru three in the rotation.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, there's that potential there, which scares me more than anything.

22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Tunick, once you see a hockey game live, then you will realize what an awesome sport it is; after all, the saying that "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" is pretty cool.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Rick Ankiel is so bad, the Astros released him. Rick Ankiel was hitting .194 with 3 walks and 35 strikeouts in 65 plate appearances. The Mets just signed Rick Ankiel to be their practically every day center fielder. Sometimes it feels like Omar Minaya is still running this team. This move makes no sense. When you already have four left handed hitting outfielders who can't actually hit, why do you need to get one who's both older and a worse hitter?

Amazing.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So, my Yanks are in first place. I'm such a negative Nancy, with all of my preseason whining about Wells, the rotation, and the corner infield. It's worked brilliantly- don't know if it will last, but I'll enjoy it.

Hopefully some of that Jayson Nix/Lyle Overbay dumb luck will drift over to Citi and help out Ankiel, AmazingB. Overbay couldn't make the Red Sox's minor league lineup in preseason and he's an everyday player for us.

25. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Not that I'm overly worried, because he's really, really terrible, but I'd rather he didn't suddenly have a great few months. There is absolutely no benefit to any team (except psychologically in the case of the Pirates and Royals) to finishing .500, or striving to finish as close to .500 as possible. You just end up with a mid round pick in the draft. It's not like a 79 win team is going to drastically outdraw a 69 win team or anything. The Mets have a pile of 25 year old outfielders who barely qualify as prospects, but should at least be given a chance to see if they can be more than bench players. Ankiel is just a waste of a roster spot, unless he somehow manages to play well and the Mets can flip him at the deadline, but I'm not counting on either.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.