main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i'd like that post, but it's agains the giants. :-(

Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Busy night for the Diamondbacks and Dodgers:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330611119

I mostly note how many big time former players were involved in the brawl, between Kirk Gibson, Matt Williams, Mark McGwire, and Don Mattingly. I do believe the Diamondbacks have more Series titles on their side of that ledger than do the Dodgers (three to one). Steroid users are even at one apiece.

Edit: I forgot about Alan Trammell-- that's another Series win (shared with one of Gibson's, of course). Don Baylor's right there as well, and that's another Series win. And a lot of HBPs.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I feel like I always talk about him, but it is delightful to listen to Vin Scully call a massive brawl- much like Harry Kalas used to when the Phillies would go at it- talk a little, but really just stay out of the way.

Gus Johnson should take note.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    DarthTunick likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2013/06/12/a-brawl-with-no-winners-whatsoever]Mike[/url] Scioscia's Tragic Illness: A Brawl With No Winners Whatsoever

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-dodgers-diamondbacks-plaschke-20130612,0,5760243.story]Bill[/url] Plaschke: ... Dodgers swung and missed

Obviously you don't want players risking injury & suspension during a brawl, especially the most valuable ones (and particularly for the Dodgers, since they're still struggling to get out of last place), but brawls & that code among ballplayers will always be part of the game*... I don't think it's ever going to go away. The series was intriguing already, given Arizona's 9th inning comeback on Monday night that's led to Kenley Jansen becoming the new Dodger closer, and the pitching match up of Corbin vs. Ryu tonight, but now there's that much more sizzle... we'll see how long it lasts, beyond any of the suspensions.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9376342/los-angeles-dodgers-arizona-diamondbacks-open-2014-season-australia-report]D'Backs/Dodgers[/url] likely to open up the 2014 season in Sydney

Why not?

*Of course that doesn't mean that it's universally liked in baseball... from the article KW linked to: "One hopes cooler heads will prevail Wednesday. As Scully signed off after the final out, "In a sense, I am personally relieved the game is over." "

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Haven't seen the brawl yet, but didn some of the players really try to dump a coach over one of the dugouts?

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

It's an '88 World Series reunion!

:p

Point Given and KnightWriter like this.
  8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It's interesting that Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic blasted Ian Kennedy and Bill Plaschke of the LA Times criticized the Dodgers.

Most of the video recaps don't show that Greinke took at least three shots at Montero, which I agree violates the unwritten rules. If you miss, that's it, or it should be it. You don't get a do-over, and then another one. Obviously, Kennedy shouldn't have thrown at Greinke's head, but I don't think a pitch aimed at his back would have been out of order.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, from what I've read, the Diamandbacks pitcher took a shot at Puig that richocheted off his shoulder and hit him in the face.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That pitch was not intentional. Kennedy reacted with frustration, as compared to his nonchalant reaction after hitting Greinke.

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly... as long as the pitch isn't at the guy's head, kneecaps or wrists, then retribution of this kind is to be expected. All of this reminds me of the game 3 scrum in the '08 NLCS between the Phillies & Dodgers, specifically Hiroki Kuroda & Shane Victorino:

[​IMG].

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    How can you violate an unwritten rule? Doesn't that just highlight the absurdity behind the concept of unwritten rules? People don't even agree about what the unwritten rules are most of the time.

All that said, I much prefer letting the players police themselves, for the most part. I didn't see everything that led up to the fight, but Kennedy deserves a long suspension for throwing at Greinke's head.

Amazing.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthTunick, this got lost in the media hype over the brawl, but Donny Baseball finally pulled the trigger and dumped League for Jansen at closer. I think Jansen has just ridiculous stuff and could be really good for a while- what do you think?

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Suspensions were just announced, Ian Kennedy only got 10 games, which, if he appeals, may drop to 9. Which is a financial hit, but timed right, will only be 1 start, which seems wrong.

Amazing.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It was a move long over due... Jansen has much better stuff & control than League. Of course, if the team doesn't start to do much better over the next month or so, it won't matter much. As for the suspensions, I hope Kennedy's appeal goes nowhere, because he deserves to miss 2 starts. It was odd that Puig got fined, but I can't complain much about that. :p

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Surprised McGwire didn't get anything for his participation in the brawl.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    He was suspended for 2 games.

Amazing.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    You would think that I'd be over the fact that Russell Martin is no longer a Dodger... well, I am not. :p

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah, see, that's what I get when I catch the story when it just breaks on ESPN and don't come back to it.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm really enjoying this season so far. Its been 20 years since I got this into baseball. Having 20 years of losing baseball really wears on you. Its cool my little boy has been there with me most of the season watching and learning.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Greinke is going to escape this incident without most people being aware that he threw multiple times at Montero before hitting him.

I had no particular view of him before this incident, and now I see him in a negative light. If it had been just one pitch at Montero, that would have been fine. Multiple shots? That's a different story.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Alex Cobb took one off the noggin in Tampa, taken off the field by stretcher.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    KnightWriter: Greinke's definitely got a bit of a chip on his shoulder/he's sort of a ****... though, for obvious reasons, I view him in a more positive light. :p

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Starting off a road trip by winning only 1 game in Pittsburgh isn't exactly inspiring great, positive thinking for the Dodgers, but hell, at least they weren't swept, right?

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/s...a-gathering-made-for-autumn.html?ref=baseball

dp4m, Eeth-my-Koth, heels1785

It's only a 2 game series, one that won't feature Jeter/Kershaw*/Sabathia/Kemp (most likely)/Vin Scully, but the Dodgers will make their first ever regular season trip (and first appearance in The Bronx since the '81 World Series) to Yankee Stadium tomorrow night. It's easy to forget how much of a rivalry these franchises have had, since they've only faced off in interleague** play in '04 & '10, which obviously pails in comparison to a World Series match up (11 total between the two franchises... the Yankees holding an 8-3 advantage).

*Speaking of Kershaw: http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-0617-dodgers-notes-20130617,0,2199336.story]Clayton[/url] annoyed at leaked info about a possible contract extension.

**Although I can appreciate a lot of what interleague can bring (it is rather neat that the Dodgers will be playing at Yankee Stadium... bizarre of course, but still neatish)/has brought over the years (I attended that entire Yankees/Dodgers series out here in L.A. in June of '04), intellectually I wouldn't miss it all if it were gone. It has run its course, as I see it, but it's here to stay... and the Dodgers will play the Yankees again this season, July 30-31st, out here in La La Land.