main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    But this time it counts!

Amazing.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rox: The week of the bombing, yeah.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Then they were likely doing it on the national stage as a Boston bombing tribute.

Anybody see Rivera entrance with all the players going off the field and him coming out to "Enter Sandman?"

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's disgusting & sickening to read about those asshats who had an issue* with Anthony... it's not surprising anymore, though. And that's sad.

*I do have an issue, though, with anytime God Bless America is sung during a ballgame... ok, it made since for a bit after 9/11, but can't we let it go? It's overkill, damn it, since we already have the National Anthem sung before every game, and for an event such as the ASG, a flyover, a gigantic flag in the outfield, and so on, it just was too much. :p

7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Be thankful you don't get it with every game. The yanks turned it into a tradition.

Also, lol at the guy who said Marc Anthony didn't look like a New Yorker. Ask John Rocker, he'll tell you he's a NYer.

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Ryan Braun suspended the rest of the season without pay for violating the joint drug agreement.

Good times.

Darthkat76 and Rox like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he was like the only good player on my fantasy team.

also the mariners have won six in a row. just when i thought i was out they pull me back in.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Garza to the Rangers for what I think is a big time overpay.

Braun suspension make s m4 happy.

The NL Central just got suckier.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's worse than that and amazing. He's suspended 65 games -- which is a number not covered by the JDA and the CBA. Which means this is Biogenesis-related since non-failed test suspensions are the only types that MLB can hand out arbitrary suspension numbers for.

Which means: everyone on that Biogenesis list is TOAST. Braun is not contesting.

12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I would love to know the justification for bypassing a 50-game suspension and instead suspending him for 65 games. I would also love to know if he actually tested positive this year, or if it's just because he's tied to Biogenesis. He's accepted it and certainly isn't denying his use. But it still doesn't make sense.

Amazing.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Non-analytical positives aren't covered by the JDA/CBA suspension numbers. This is why you hear "deals" as mentioned by Michael Weiner and 150-games proposed for A-Rod.

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    But he was suspended under the JDA. I'm watching the MLB Network now, just saw the statement. How can he be suspended under the JDA, if not under one of the prescribed punishments?

Amazing.

15. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    From 7.G.2 of the JDA:

"A Player may be subjected to disciplinary action for just cause by the Commissioner for any Player violation of Section 2 above not referenced in Section 7.A through 7.F above."

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

Section 2 of the JDA lists the banned substances. 7.A-F indicate punishments for positive tests, criminal prosecution, etc. Presumably the Biogenesis evidence proves incontrovertibly that Braun possessed and used banned substances even if he didn't test positive for such.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sorry, I should be more clear (as... it's entirely not clear). AS I understand it, and Jeffro posts above, even Weiner concedes that the JDA allows for "non-analytical" (e.g. non-failed test) suspensions for overwhelming evidence. Those suspensions are not subject to the 50/100/lifetime ban escalation numbers.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That steroid user helped cost the Diamondbacks a place in the 2011 NLCS. He should never have been in that series to begin with.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Anti-semite! :p

(I'm totally kidding)

But the problem is MLB bungled that one so badly it's not even funny... I agree with you though...

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It could be that MLB is counting the suspension he got overturned (which was a fifty game one) as his first violation. And if it's 65 games, then he had to have cut some sort of deal.

Well now we know why the Yankees decided not to bring A-Rod back. The hammer would have come down the minute they put him officially in the line-up.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Okay. So I read Section 2 and 7A-F. If there's a catch-all then that allows for any other suspension for any other reason, what's the point in having specific suspensions in the first place? If anything, this seems to fall under 7F which relates to actively buying banned substances, in which case this suspension should be at least 80 games.

This whole thing just seems capricious and arbitrary and is basically MLB having no idea how to properly handle the situation. Every time someone is suspended under the usual 50/100/150 guidelines, there's all sorts of hand-wringing that there is still an issue, rather than things working as intended. And rather than making that point, MLB let's itself believe it has a huge PR issue on its hands and has to "do something."

Two things about this. One, his test in 2011 came in October. And it was still a gross violation of his privacy that it was leaked (illegally) and it went through the proper arbitration process and was thrown out. Whether it was a true positive or not (and it probably was), it doesn't change the fact that the sample was proven to be mishandled.

Second, I'm quite curious what your reaction would be (will be) when it's revealed a D'Backs player from that team was on a banned substance. Or, let's say, someone from the 2001 team, perhaps a player who exhibited modest power until he suddenly hit 57 home runs. Perhaps the player who had the game winning hit in the World Series. Quite curious indeed.

Amazing.

Point Given likes this.
  21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Gonzalez didn't use steroids, B.

If he had, it would have come out a long time ago

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Does this now mean that Matt Kemp is the legitimate 2011 N.L. MVP?

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Do you really believe that every player who's ever used steroids has been identified? That seems to be what you're saying. If you want to accept that premise, I don't think I'm going to be the one to change your mind, but you're going to find yourself awfully disappointed in the years to come. Maybe not about Gonzalez, specifically, he's just the easiest case to make. But I guarantee at least one and probably multiple players on the 2001 D'Backs used performance enhancers. They were too prevalent for the whole team to be clean, as we've seen over and over and over.

Amazing.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I would GLADLY and EAGERLY forever give up the moral high ground and brand myself a hypocrite if some super roided slugger got the Indians a World Series title.

LloydChristmas likes this.