main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I tend to think this is one of the reasons why steroids causes so much consternation. If you're putting players on a pedestal such that they can "fall from grace" in the first place, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment in the future, whether it's Pujols, Verlander, or someone else (though given that in this case Jack Clark crawled out of nowhere for a random 15 minutes, one has to consider the source). If you treat players as inherently flawed individuals (in other words, real people) there's no grace to fall from.

Amazing.

DarthTunick and Jedi_Tyler like this.
  2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Dear Colorado Rockies,

Thankfully we do not play against you again the rest of the season because you rocked us in the face.

Love,

The Pirates

Darth McClain likes this.
  3. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    Very true. If we realize these "heroes" are people like the rest of us, there is no disappointment to be had. :)

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    RYAN. LUDWICK.

Welcome back, baby!

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This Cardinals/Pirates game is into 14 innings. Good game so far but should have been over a while ago. Marte dropped a routine flyball and it lead to a Cards comeback.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    In the matchup of Harvey vs. Ryu tonight, Ryu (7 innings, 5 hits, 1 ER, 3 K's) & the Bums (4-2 the final score) got the better of the Mets... winners now of 7 straight, 39 out of their last 47, 22-3 since the All Star break. *knocks on wood*, even if there's a collapse coming, or failure in the postseason, this is literally the best stretch of regular season baseball I've ever seen the Dodgers play... got to enjoy this ride for as long as it lasts.

This picture of Danny DeVito & Nick Punto from Monday night's game amuses me to no end:

[​IMG].

Jedi_Tyler likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That was Ichiroian

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    So they're looking at expanded replay for the playoffs. And rather than do it in the simplest possible way, the powers-that-be are looking to implement a challenge system. The biggest complaint against instant reply is that it will slow the game down. So naturally MLB is looking at the type of system that will slow the game down the most. Makes no sense.

Edit - Apparently it's not for the playoffs, that's what I had heard yesterday. This is being voted on in November. I kind of wonder if they set up the worst possible system so when it's voted down they can all throw their hands in the air and say they tried.

Amazing.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I also don't get why it would have to be done via a control room in New York... they couldn't have some ex-umps at each stadium, in a booth, ready for any challenge? Wouldn't that work better?

heels1785, dp4m: Personally, Puig's throwing prowess is giving me Raul Mondesi flashbacks... and that throw, as excellent as it was, wasn't even my favorite Puig moment from last night: his fast running to 2nd base in the bottom of the 12th, off a ball hit that barely got out of the infield, to setup his eventual game winning run (thank you, Adrian Gonzalez!). And of course, there was a bit of magic before that: Ethier's game tying 2-run homer* in the 9th! :D

*Almost caught by the fellow who runs the DodgerFilms YouTube (/Facebook/Instagram) page: .

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's a shame that the three most exciting teams in baseball, at the moment, are all in the same league- Dodgers, Braves, Pirates. Tampa and the Tigers are good too, I just think this is a great year for the NL- all will be decided in the playoffs.

12. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    So we might be doomed to the managers running onto the field and throwing a flag to challenge any calls they don't like. Nice. [face_not_talking]

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Reports coming down the pipe from SI and Yahoo that Charlie Manuel has been fired by the Phillies, and Ryne Sandberg is taking over.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Although it does seem a bit odd for Manuel to be fired at this point, since they're realistically out of the playoff picture, I suppose it could be due to the apparent lack of effort in some games lately by some Phillies players, as was discussed on air via the Dodger (television) broadcast duo of Eric Collins & Steve Lyons... schmucks I know, but they wouldn't just make up information. Either way, I don't care, as it was that Manuel lead team in 2008 postseason that ruined my birthday that October (I could have been fine with the Bums losing the pennant in Philly, since the Phillies had proved themselves to be the better team at that point, but losing it at home on what normally is a happy day for me? Noooooo!). :p

And of course the Bums keep marching along, a 4-0 series opening win, thanks to Greinke getting out of a few jams (as he gave up 4 walks in little over 7 innings), and some timely hitting by Hanley Ramirez & Mark Ellis (and the Dodger relievers for getting out of an 8th inning jam). And of course, being in Philly, a certain questionable mascot was up to his shenanigans:

[​IMG].

15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Miguel Tejada has been suspended 105 games for testing positive for amphetamines. But since he never broke any records, won a World Series, or had a serious Hall of Fame case, he will not be relegated to History's Greatest Monster status.

Amazing.

DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dodgers are 42-8 in last 50 games. Mattingly may go from "fired tomorrow" to Manager of the Year.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, as much as I detest A-Rod, tonight I was reminded of how terrible the dirty Sox are. Ryan Dempster, hero of the unwashed masses.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And another Sox/Yankees brawl to add to the rivalry.

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    As much as I don't like A-Rod (and I really, really don't), I dislike Boston fans even more. So it was with great joy that I just watched A-Rod launch that ball over the fence. Now, stfu, Boston!

Point Given and Jedi_Tyler like this.
  20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    High five, Denzel.

We all want to throw a ball at a-rod. Doesn't mean you should.

Yanksfan likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For serious now, I'm really curious about the number of Yankees who get plunked in Fenway vs. Red Sox who get plunked in New York... 'cause I always see multiple Yankees get plunked a series with virtually no retaliation or ejections (Beckett was the worst, IIRC) for the last several years...

22. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    Braves are getting it done this year. Should be an epic playoffs in the NL with the Dodgers on the best run in our lifetime.

As to the replay, they expect it to take 45 seconds total. Since currently the manager runs out on the field and acts the fool for about a minute only to be told there is no replay available, we could actually speed things up here.

23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Yanks rarely brush back papi. It's almost insane that they don't.

Look, another Yankee hit lol

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Isn't that like the FOURTH Yankees player hit tonight with three after a warning against both teams?

Even I realize that at least a couple of those looked unintentional but geez...

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though A-Rod definitely is no Knight in shining armor, do the folks in Fenway not think that their precious Red Sox didn't benefit via the Steroid era? You'd think so judging by their incredulous cries against Rodriguez.