main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is DET/STL the MLB "worst case scenario" for ratings?

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think everyone makes too big a deal about ratings. If Fox was overly concerned, they wouldn't have re-upped for half a billion a year.

Amazing.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope that poor fellow on the right is alright.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Despite a terrifying start (The co-keepers of The Holy Book of Proper Baseball Etiquette having the bases loaded, and no outs to boot at one point against the Bums), Greinke settled down to pitch a nifty game (2 ER over 7 innings, 1 walk, 4 K's), and the Dodgers broke out of their HR slump by bashing 4 of them, 2 courtesy of Adrian "Mickey Mouse" Gonzalez... 6-4 ended up being the final score, as this series heads back to St. Louis. Hanley looks so banged up out there, who knows if today's day off will help him heal enough to be effective moving forward in this LCS, but Kershaw is starting game 6, with Ryu set to go for a possible game 7.

The drama! The tension!

5. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Let's just say I've got my panic button plugged in and turned on ready to push if tomorrow night goes terribly wrong. And to be honest I'm a little sketchy on whether or not Wacha can have a 4th straight start like he has over the past 3-4 weeks[face_dunno]

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Ugh, this self-righteous celebration outrage is getting old so quickly. Go Dodgers.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a lot I can take umbrage with concerning that, but I'll just focus on this: film, television, media production is a huge, huge part of the culture here in L.A., so it makes perfect sense for that to intersect with our sports franchises (ie: Jack Nicholson & the Lakers). Duh. Good grief.

Concerning tonight's game, I'm hopelessly worried, excited, thinking of the multitude of different possibilities of how it will all turn out. It's the beauty, annoyance & the ridiculousness of sports all rolled into one. What the hell am I going to do, feel like, if there's a game 7 tomorrow?
    :p

heels1785 likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If there's a game 7 tomorrow, maybe we'll also get Episode VII news hence the number "7".

heels1785 likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

What a Mickey Mouse organization! :p

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/10/17/cardinals-growing-weary-of-dodgers-dont-care-for-antics/3005639/]USA[/url] Today's Bob Nigthengale: Cardinals so sick of the Hollywood Dodgers!

Here's the section I found most annoying:

"They'd like to know if everything, even the crowd noise, have to be fake in Southern California. Do fans really have to be instructed when to scream as if they're a game-show audience? Can't anything on the scoreboard be shown besides fans acting crazy, dance contests, and kiss cams?"

I've never been to a game at Busch Stadium (either of the two recent incarnations), but I'm sure they've got jumbotron/scoreboard antics as well (it's a modern plague on all of the sports, so obviously not exclusive to the Dodgers). However, the part of the quote I have in bold font, is what irked me the most. Sure, lots of the body parts of some of the fans maybe fake, have had worked done, etc, but the Dodgers do have an excellent fan base, a knowledgeable fan base (that of course has its share of iffy parts/fair weather folks... which is magnified because of the disparity in population between the L.A. & St. Louis metro areas). I've been to enough Dodger games at Chavez Ravine over the past 20+ years to know how great the fans are, no matter the iffy elements from time to time. Yikes.

Of course, does Mr. Nigthengale & those of his ilk realize that segments of the Cardinals fan base can be just as abrasive, annoying, etc, as what they're accusing us out here in L.A. of being?- https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis- Obviously not indicative of the entire fan base, wouldn't it be nice for that iffyness to at least be acknowledged by Nigthengale (and others)?

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The only thing I really like about the Cardinals at this point is Jon Hamm.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The whole "best fans in baseball" for the Cardinals has always been kind of ridiculous, but at least it used to be outsiders saying it. It's just obnoxious when it's St. Louis fans and St. Louis media harping on it.

Amazing.

12. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Damn, Come on LA get some runs, hit the ball ....do something. No more Wacka ..WAcka WaCka

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Run towards the bases at least!

14. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
  15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Almost time to go back to your little hidey-hole, LA. :)

CuppaJoe and JM_1977 like this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, if you're going to get eliminated in St. Louis, and thus lose the pennant, you might as well lose spectacularly: A 9-0 beat down from The co-keepers of The Proper Book of Baseball Etiquette, helped along via a 4-run 3rd inning. TBS (and others) may want to focus on Puig's iffy throw to the infield that enabled Beltran to reach second, but believe me that's not the reason why they lost tonight: Kershaw simply had a bad game at the worst possible time. More reasons for why the Bums lost the pennant? Terrible, terrible hitting. Atrocious. Hanley's rib injury sure as hell didn't help. And of course, in a supporting role, Mattingly's brain farts contributed to the effort. So the St. Louis advances to the World Series, giving their long suffering fan base something to cheer about in late October...

Despite how incredibly annoying tonight is, and how the offseason will follow suite with some accompanying disappointment, all things considered, it was a hell of a season. Going from 30-42 in late June to the brink of a pennant? Yeah, I'll take that... obviously, duh, not the result I wanted, but better to reach this point than to not reach it all (say like the Angels, having consecutive losing seasons, despite their payroll additions & expectations). Also it was the first full season under the Guggenheim (Partners) ownership, and along with the improvements made to Dodger Stadium, it was simply a better feeling, more for a cache culturally for the team in this city than in the late stages of the McCourt era. Life goes on, and before you know it, the next season will begin. I can't ******* wait for it.

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  17. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Hey I'm a person who gives credit where it is due and by far I wouldn't want to have beaten any other team then the Dodgers. IMO no other team really deserved it. Yes this whole hollywood/mickey mouse junk did get to me but its part of sports. Players express excitement in their own way. Who are we to say differently.

Dodgers deserve more credit then they get. How many other teams do you know have gone 42-8 in a 50 game span? Exactly. That alone is impressive and I'll admit until the 27th out was made tonight This series had me worried beyond belief. Congrats to the Dodgers for even making it this far after the start they had this season and I hope you guys don't take this as sucking up. This is 100% genuine :D

Now if only I can get my Red Sox vs. Cardinals rematch :p

CuppaJoe likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    JM, you're a classy fellow. Please lay waste to the Red Sox and humiliate them, that will give me some semblance of happiness after this Yanks season.

Tunes, I think you hit the nail on the head. You guys were done, Mattingly about to hit the unemployment line, and then you pulled off 42-8, which was amazing. If anything, I think not quite making the Series may inspire Magic and friends to dump some more cash into the team, which really is scary, considering your roster already looks like an All-Star team. Also, take Kemp into account, he'll be back- you got nothing from him this year, basically- I think he has a very long and productive career ahead. The player I'd be most excited about, though, is Crawford- the baseball world left him for dead, just an injury drain on your payroll, and he re-established himself among the best in the league. The future is really bright- not a lot of teams can say that.

19. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    Well put hells1785^^^^

20. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    How many teams with a payroll of just over $60 million win 21 of 22 games to win the pennant.:p

JM_1977 likes this.
  21. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Touche :p

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You maybe right, considering if the report I saw on ESPN is accurate, Magic and Co were reading to dump $300 million into Kershaw's lap during this season (apparently the only reason it didn't get done is because Kershaw was leery of the commitment at the time and didn't want to discuss contracts during the season). Expect some big - time moves from the Dodgers this winter.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Does he get 8/300 and just call it a day? They have to make him the top paid pitcher in the league.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nah, I saw the same report. It's like a career-long commitment or something, with a ton of money going into Kershaw's charity. It'd be unprecedented, really.

25. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    I get my rematch finally!!![face_dancing]

It's been a long 9 years of waiting. Strap yourselves in boys, it's gonna be a hell of a series

Todd the Jedi likes this.