Arena The MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    Have no fear. After you factor in the Hand of Cleveland, he's got at least even odds of putting up MVP numbers.
  2. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  4. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Cue the "He was still playing?" jokes.
  5. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    Barely, but yeah. lol As an Astros fan I love and respect the hell out of Berkman, even if he played for the GD Cardinals. I am sure he will get a jersey retirement in the next couple years.
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The Bums announced today a new alternate road jersey for this season:

[IMG].

Although I inherently dislike alternate uni's, and I prefer the 'Los Angeles' script for the roadies, I admit that this is a good look. Hopefully this is a good luck charm, for when the Dodgers clinched the '88 Series, look at their uni's...

[IMG]. :D

:p
  7. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    Is it extra gray or is that just the picture?
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    It's the usual gray tint featured on their roadies (though the picture is filtered a bit). Here's a non-filtered look:

[IMG].
  9. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Michael Young is hanging 'em up too. Always liked him. Had a good career. Just an all around solid baseball player.
    burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  10. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    Giants changed their orange alternate uniform, I like it....

[IMG]
  11. burrisjedimaster1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Damn, I really liked him also. Kind of shocking, I thought he had some good ball left in him.
  12. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    Yeah, a couple all time greats for each Texas team retired on back to back days. I always liked Young, especially handling being forced to changed positions every year for the new rookie that season.
    burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  13. burrisjedimaster1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Know Kidding, true team player he was. I think he ended up in Philly.
  14. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Like the Freddie Freeman deal in Atlanta - perfect time to do a long deal, he's 24 and eight years for a reliable left-handed hitter in the 3/4/5 slot is a great asset for Atlanta. Compared to slew of awful contracts that have been handed out over the last few years, this one is excellent business.
  15. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    A 24 year old is the kind of player that should get a deal that long, not after a player crosses 30.
  16. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    After the string of busts we've seen lately, I do wonder if teams will stop giving players ~30 high paying, 7-10 year contracts.
  17. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    Nope, Robinson Cano. Though as an Astros fan it is nice to see the AL West teams(SEA AND LA) being champions of the terrible contract cause.
  18. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I really like the Freeman deal also. I do hope the new normal will be to pay players when they are younger rather than later. You see too many teams stuck paying these guys when they are no longer that productive. At least the Twins were smart enough to move Mauer to first base so they can get better production out of him for an extended period. It would have been suicide to keep him at catcher, even as good as he is.
  19. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I'm intrigued to see when y'all become the "new Rays." Its bound to happen soon, stockpile so many top draft picks and your farm system is busting at the seams. Better days are ahead in Houston.
  20. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    More impatient people in town are not as optimistic, but I feel good about how things are going. I watch a lot of MLB Network, and there has been a lot of love thrown at our minors this offseason. I would kill to see the Astros reach the levels where the Rays are at, just with spending money. lol
  21. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  22. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's hard to be that upset, because he was 91 and lived a tremendous life. But it sucks. He was the voice of my childhood fandom.

Amazing.
  23. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Used to like listening to him call the games too whenever a Mets game was on. He will be missed.
  24. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  25. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7