main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Tanaka is likely our #1 this year, Tunes. At least I hope he is, making that kind of paper.

Kei Igawa was the worst.

2. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    The Sox picked up Grady Sizemore today for 750k, but could earn $6 million if he meets incentives. I don't know that I have any faith in him at this point to do anything, but this move has wicked low risk/high reward potential. I didn't realize he is still only 31.
    I'm still hoping Drew comes back. Dude was lights out with the glove. But I'm just as fine with Bogarts at short and Middlebrooks at third.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Have no fear. After you factor in the Hand of Cleveland, he's got at least even odds of putting up MVP numbers.

4. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Cue the "He was still playing?" jokes.

7. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Barely, but yeah. lol As an Astros fan I love and respect the hell out of Berkman, even if he played for the GD Cardinals. I am sure he will get a jersey retirement in the next couple years.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Bums announced today a new alternate road jersey for this season:

[​IMG].

Although I inherently dislike alternate uni's, and I prefer the 'Los Angeles' script for the roadies, I admit that this is a good look. Hopefully this is a good luck charm, for when the Dodgers clinched the '88 Series, look at their uni's...

[​IMG]. :D

:p

9. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    Is it extra gray or is that just the picture?

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It's the usual gray tint featured on their roadies (though the picture is filtered a bit). Here's a non-filtered look:

[​IMG].

11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Michael Young is hanging 'em up too. Always liked him. Had a good career. Just an all around solid baseball player.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  12. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    Giants changed their orange alternate uniform, I like it....

[​IMG]

13. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Damn, I really liked him also. Kind of shocking, I thought he had some good ball left in him.

14. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, a couple all time greats for each Texas team retired on back to back days. I always liked Young, especially handling being forced to changed positions every year for the new rookie that season.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  15. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Know Kidding, true team player he was. I think he ended up in Philly.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Like the Freddie Freeman deal in Atlanta - perfect time to do a long deal, he's 24 and eight years for a reliable left-handed hitter in the 3/4/5 slot is a great asset for Atlanta. Compared to slew of awful contracts that have been handed out over the last few years, this one is excellent business.

17. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    A 24 year old is the kind of player that should get a deal that long, not after a player crosses 30.

18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    After the string of busts we've seen lately, I do wonder if teams will stop giving players ~30 high paying, 7-10 year contracts.

19. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    Nope, Robinson Cano. Though as an Astros fan it is nice to see the AL West teams(SEA AND LA) being champions of the terrible contract cause.

20. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    I really like the Freeman deal also. I do hope the new normal will be to pay players when they are younger rather than later. You see too many teams stuck paying these guys when they are no longer that productive. At least the Twins were smart enough to move Mauer to first base so they can get better production out of him for an extended period. It would have been suicide to keep him at catcher, even as good as he is.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm intrigued to see when y'all become the "new Rays." Its bound to happen soon, stockpile so many top draft picks and your farm system is busting at the seams. Better days are ahead in Houston.

22. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    More impatient people in town are not as optimistic, but I feel good about how things are going. I watch a lot of MLB Network, and there has been a lot of love thrown at our minors this offseason. I would kill to see the Astros reach the levels where the Rays are at, just with spending money. lol

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It's hard to be that upset, because he was 91 and lived a tremendous life. But it sucks. He was the voice of my childhood fandom.

Amazing.

25. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Used to like listening to him call the games too whenever a Mets game was on. He will be missed.