main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I can leave MLB Network on in the background at all times.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Oh wow. So much umbrage is still be taken in Phoenix! It's OK, though... the Bums finished off a nice sweep of the D'Backs today, highlighted by Dee(eeeeeee) Gordon's & Puig's base running, and Kemp/Gonzalez's hitting. If the Bums repeat as division champs this season, I so badly want that clinching game to occur at Umbrage* Field in Phoenix.

*Chase

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm amazed at how good a start the Brewers are off to. If they can keep this up, I'll be very impressed.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels1785 -- good luck to you this week!

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Same to you, amigo.

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The last time they started this well was 1987 when they began the season 13-0. In May they had a 12 game losing streak and finished 91-71 in third place. Also read that the last 15 teams to start 10-2 finished an average of 88-74. The point is 12 games is still a very small sample size and while surprises happen, the Brewers are probably the same team people thought they were in March.

Unless you're a Brewers fan. If you are ignore all that and enjoy their hot start!

Amazing.

7. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Gonna be an interesting 3-game series up in Milwaukee for the Cards vs. Brewers. Cards finally got the bats going blowing the cubs out the past two games and they butt heads with the Brewers win streak. Lets see who breaks first

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Read that the Brewers already have more road victories this year than the Milwaukee Bucks did all season ...

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yah good start for the Brew Crew, long season ahead.

10. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Booyah!!! Lance Lynn pitching great so far pitching a two-hitter right now and HRs by Peralta and Jay put the Cards on top 4-0 :D. Its only the sixth inning I know but the brewers aren't playing like the 9 game streak they have going.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, everything tends to even out, but I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts. It doesn't mean they're a championship team, but I can at least hope that they'll outperform expectations.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    That baby's even more amazed than I am!

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    LOL at the Braves continuing to bat B.J. Upton in the number two spot in the lineup!! I mean this is some great comedy right here! I seriously wish I could be a reporter for after a game:
    "So Fredi, why do you continue to pencil in B.J. freaking Upton in the number two spot in the lineup even though conventional baseball wisdom that even little league players know about states that you put your best hitter, or at least one of your best hitters in that spot? Do you think B.J. freaking Upton qualifies as this? Do you further know, Fredi, that he has regressed every single year since fooling everyone in the 2008 playoffs into thinking he was some kind of elite player? Do you read scouting reports Fredi? Did you know that the scouts talk about all the problems with his mechanics at the plate, things which should have been worked out by now at this point in his career? I can go on and on Fredi. Let me ask you this, are you just plain stupid, or just a moron?" [face_laugh]

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Why get one out when you can get three?!

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I was lucky enough to have been at Dodger Stadium that afternoon to witness that.

:D

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    B, what are your thoughts on Ike Davis getting dealt to the Pirates for next to nothing?

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Waiting to see who the PTBNL is. Supposed to be more substantial than the already named not quite prospect and Alderson's track record, on trades at least, is pretty good. Of course, my concern isn't exactly the return (there's only so much you can get for a first baseman who is a below average hitter), but that this means that Lucas Duda is their every day first baseman. Their career numbers are similar, Davis is better defensively, and if Duda is the better option why not trade him for a better return? It's not like Duda is going to be starting for the Mets for the next 10 years or the next 5 years or even the next 3 years. Duda is already 28 years old and one of their top prospects is a first basemen who they're probably hoping will be in the big leagues in late 2016 or to start 2017.

On an unrelated topic, if anyone wants to know the difference between a good manager and a bad one, I think we finally found the line: Managers who spent Spring Training preaching to their teams that they have to play four outs now and complete all plays due to replay (Joe Maddon) and those who stand around looking bewildered asking the umpires to figure things out for them (Terry Collins) on close plays.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    What about Josh Satin at first, Amazing? I caught a game earlier in the week and he seemed impressive. He's a patient hitter, and the commentators were talking about how he gets better and better as a game goes on, the more he faces a pitcher. They said from the 2nd at bat and on, his average skyrockets.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bryce Harper benched for laziness. Lol.

23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    He's going to platoon with Duda, but he's already 29, was never much of a prospect and doesn't hit for power. He's fine against lefties, which works since Duda is miserable against them. The problem the Mets have, on the offensive side, is they have a stockpile of slightly below average players. Guys who should be complementary players, fourth outfielders, platoon players, especially if you can hide them in a lineup behind four or five better players. When you have a whole lineup full of them, you win 74 games every year.

Amazing.

24. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks likely that Nova will be gone for a year or two. We are absurdly shallow at the position - may be time to call Barry Zito. Sucks.