main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    REsponse to Inty.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There's some chatter about Joe Torre taking over as Commissioner when Bud Selig retires. As much as I love Torre, I think it would be inviting problems, especially the first time he had to rule on something involving the Yankees.

He's a great guy, a brilliant baseball mind, and I want he and LaRussa involved with the league for as long as they can be - I just think that someone with a lower profile may be the right pick.

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, I can't see any big-name being the next commissioner. Not Torre, not Sandy Alderson, probably not even Rob Manfred. It's not that type of position.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but there's every reason this should be part of the All Star Game instead of someone signing songs to teachers for some reason:

Amazing.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I love the music that went with it.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm sure the Rangers having their worst season in quite sometime doesn't factor into Lewis' frustrations.

Also, Colby-on-Colby "crime" alert! :p

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think Colby Lewis and Manny Machado should hang out and complain about other teams trying to win.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

See I think Torre would make an excellent commissioner because he's worked on all three levels of baseball, as a player, a manager, and now an executive with the league. Due to this experience I think he would represent all levels fairly, perhaps more fairly than any commissioner in recent memory. Add to that the fact that he is universally liked and respected and I think he would be perfect.
    I do agree though, I doubt it happens, but we could always hope.

11. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Pretty much everything you said, while true, is exactly why he won't be commissioner. The commissioner serves at the approval of the owners and their interests. That's why they picked one of their own last time. They're not looking for someone to represent all levels.

Amazing.

12. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    We interrupt this thread to tell you the Cardinals are in first place!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting. That is all :p

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah, you are right, Amazing. That's unfortunately how it works.

In a perfect world we would have Joe though! :D

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Unwritten rules alert! Carlos Martinez hit Hanley Ramirez in the shoulder during the top of the 4th, so in the bottom half...

[​IMG].

That pitch ended up hitting Holliday on the ass... perfect spot for a retribution pitch.
    :p

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe Larry (or Paul) Dolan will become the new commissioner, forcing the sale of the Cleveland Indians to Dan Gilbert, prompting a rebranding and exodus of Chief Wahoo.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    How about re-naming the franchise the Cleveland Careys? You'll have a perfect logo:

[​IMG].

The Good: The Bums games being broadcast on back-to-back days (thanks Fox Sports 1 & ESPN) this weekend... wow!; avoiding a sweep tonight via a crucial Adrian Gonzalez 9th inning hit, among other hits (DUH) sprinkled throughout the game.

And, this niiiiiice Kemp catch:

[​IMG].

The Bad: Though of course I was very happy & grateful to be able to watch the Dodgers on television, that meant a weekend of listening to Kenny Albert/Dan Shulman (who I don't find to be that bad, but he's no Jon Miller on Sunday nights, damn it)/John Kruk. Holy hell! Eric Karros -Albert's color commentator on FOX- gets a pass, because 1) He was/is one of my all-time favorite Dodgers (a crucial part of my Dodger upbringing in the 90's) and 2) I still have a very nice autograph of his from '96, one wishing my then-sick grandfather well.

The Ugly: Hanley Ramriez again fell victim by a HBP, that one coming in the top of the 9th, hitting him on the left hand. Initial x-rays have comeback negative, but still... too many bad things have been happening to various Bums in St. Louis since 2013. Yikes!

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Better yet, Larry David becomes the new commissioner.

[​IMG]

DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That is, without a doubt, one of the 5 best episodes of the series.

By the way, has the series ended? I keep hearing it may be, but nobody knows.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Rumors here & there of a 9th season, but I don't care* if there's one... it's not the type of show that needs a definitive series-finale. 8 seasons of brilliance is more than enough.

*Obviously shall there be a 9th season, I'd be happy & watch, but if doesn't happy, I can live with that too.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chase Headley to Yanks.

PITCHING CASHMAN PLZ

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Not because it's an inherent fact, but due to the realities of the current teams/franchises: better for Headley to be in playing in The Bronx.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rotund New York Mets pitcher's bid for a perfect game has ended.

Or,

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 likes this.
  25. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Can't wait for the HOF inductions on Sunday. Heck of a class. One of the better ones in recent memory.