main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Brian Kenny brought this up Monday on High Heat, and I agree with him: move the HOF inductions, etc, to the Thursday during All-Star week. It's bizarre to have such an important -even with all the faults & consternation over the HOF- event occur as baseball games are being played.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Ten years since Veritek vs. A-Rod.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Also ten years -a few days ago- since that (the best Manny being Manny moment, as I see it). In so many ways, that '04 season was one of the most theatrical & memorable for MLB in recent memory (objectively as a baseball fan, but selfishly too concerning the Dodgers).

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That leaping cutoff will never not be funny.

5. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I was so happy when we traded that fool.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Even with the suspension in '09, and lack of a pennant win in '08 & '09 NLCS', that Mannywood era for the Dodgers will always have a special place in my heart, and I suspect many other Dodger fans fell the same way as well.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The same is true of the Future's Game. More people are following prospects than ever, but the Futures Game is the Sunday before the game when regular MLB games are still on-going. So many simple changes they could make. Move the Futures Game to Monday in primetime, home run derby to Tuesday, All Star Game to Wednesday, HoF to Thursday. Or, you could even push it to the weekend. End the half on a Thursday, Friday is the Futures Game, Saturday home run derby, Sunday afternoon HoF, Sunday night All Star Game. Or do the HoF Saturday afternoon so they can all get to the game Sunday. And then start the season up again on a Tuesday.

But no, let's keep the All Star Game on a Tuesday so all the pitchers from Sunday can't pitch and get replaced by lesser players on the roster, and have the Futures Game and HoF induction on Sunday afternoons when no one will watch.

Amazing.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

It's going to be an interesting weekend up in San Francisco...

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Jake Peavy's been traded to the Giants according to ESPN.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's totally pointless.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It certainly won't. It's basically the easiest and worst possibly way to resolve the coming logjam. Not sure why they don't just remove the maximum vote.

And it's going to hurt more of the borderline guys, too. Because they're going to get caught up and fall off the ballot while everyone is still debating actual or suspected steroid users.

Amazing.

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013

And so the exits of the veterans begin. I'm totally cool with it. Better to let the young guys take their lumps the rest of this year so that it will pay off next year and beyond.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Excellent. Troy, the Rockies are losers and also don't care enough about you to learn your name.

Come replace Jeter next year, k?

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    In some respects, he's a great fit... in some respects, he isn't.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    We're going to need another bat, Ellsbury can't do it alone. Tex can break down at any minute and McCann is unreliable as he ages.

Honestly, we need so much. 2-3 more good bats, 2-3 more starting pitchers (that do not include our recent shining acquisitions Chris Capuano and Brandon McCarthy..lol).

18. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Tulo is the man. Best SS in the game. I would like to see him put together some multiple seasons without going on the DL though. He always seems to be going down with something at some point of every season.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's called "damn, I need a few days off from these **** teammates, and to stop busting my ass for nothing" syndrome.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Best we've ever had goes into the Hall.

GO JOE!

[​IMG]

dp4m likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

In total, not a bad three-year run for Torre here in La La Land- that night me & a buddy attended game 3 of the '08 NLDS, which ended up being the Bums 1st playoff series win since '88 (and being the only I've ever attended so far :p ) was one of the best experiences we've ever had at Dodger Stadium. :cool:

Much appreciation & thanks for your contributions, Joe!

22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Sincerely really glad for Joe, from a Sox fan. Total class guy.

Big Hurt was bringing tears to my eyes with his speech.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Hurt is one of the 3-4 best hitters of my lifetime. Never, ever got the credit he deserved. Now he has.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    How are Dodger-fans doing after the Bums swept those despicable Giants up in San Francisco this weekend? This fellow sums it up rather accurately:

[​IMG].

:D

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Is that Brett Farva?

Edit: Or Ed Begley, Jr.? Or their disproportionately aged lovechild?

DarthTunick and DarthIntegral like this.