main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    He could be related to Begley Jr. :p

[​IMG]

I believe his actual name, well his first name anyway, is Ron. I know I've mentioned 'em before, but it's worth repeating: I've sat in the Dodgerfilms section of the (left field) bleachers a few times over the years... always a fun experience with those guys.

http://dodgers.mlblogs.com/2014/07/28/dodgers-support-binding-arbitration-to-solve-distribution-of-sportsnet-la/]The[/url] Dodgers television network headed to possible binding arbitration

The key sentence there:

“Additionally, as you enter into the arbitration process, fans should no longer be left in the dark. We are requesting that SportsNet LA be made available immediately to all fans, beginning with tomorrow night’s game against the Atlanta Braves."

The great Dodger television-blackout of 2014 could be over by this week!

[face_praying]

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    They definitely know how I feel.

[​IMG]

Yesssssssss sir! :D

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thinking that Jon Lester will be moving on before the end of the day, scratched from start with no explanation or injury. Generally a lock that negotiations are pretty deep.

Milwaukee or LA Dodgers are my picks - both have assets to get him. Dark horse would be Seattle.

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I would assume Lester would be traded too, but the way it was framed, last night at least, was it was simply a precaution because they didn't want some weird random injury to happen just in case he is traded.

I hope he's traded, if only because the deadline has gotten kind of boring the last few years. It's a small price to pay for competitive balance, but still, deadline day was always kind of a mini-baseball holiday.

Amazing.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://www.dodgersnation.com/trade-deadline-dodgers-to-keep-prospects-shift-focus/2014/07/30]Bums[/url] to shift focus for trade deadline(s)

So the trio of Seager-Pederson-Urias are untouchable... good. This team needs only cosmetic trades (John Lackey as the 4th and/or 5th starter as an example) this time around, not something huge (ie: the '08 deadline deal that brought them Manny Ramirez) in order to win the division/put them over-the-top come playoff time; on a related note, Kemp hit 2 2-run home runs last night... KEEP KEMP! KEEP KEMP!

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Anytime a team's gm says something to the effect of "today's move in no way indicates we are raising the white flag and giving up on this season", it always means they actually are.

That's your 2014 Cleveland Indians

dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    My reaction when I heard of the Cardinals-Masterson trade:

[​IMG].

9. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    So, will Price and Lester be on different teams tomorrow or not?

10. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
  11. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I would guess Lester will be traded and Price won't. Price is under contract next season and the Rays have been making a run recently.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    My guess is Cherington is going to unload every veteran pitcher he can. Peavy and Doubront are already gone, there have been rumors about Lester for a while, and Lackey could be gone as well.

Price sadly is staying for the reason Amazing said.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

The Lester-to-Baltimore speculation that's popped up today has been the most intruiging news in that regard.

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh man I will be ticked if we trade him within the division like that. Unless we get a king's ransom in return.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much for a rental -- I would also expect the Sox and Lester to have a gentleman's agreement in that case for a contract framework for next year preventing him from reupping with someone else in the division.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though Colletti has already publicly stated that Kemp won't be traded this season, should all that nonsense still be around him/the Bums during the offseason, they ought to remember tonight*:

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

To go along with his home-run earlier in the game, and a run scored via an Uribe hit, Kemp delivered a walk-off win for the Bums (in the 10th-inning) via a single.

:D

This is with some immediate-context (and thus, to be fair, and extremely small sample size), of course: Kemp has now gone 6-8, with 6 RBI's & 4 runs scored during these past 2-games against Atlanta. Maybe right field is a good spot for him. Maybe, eventually, shifting Puig to left or center as Crawford gets traded and/or Pederson gets called-up to replace him is what ends up being the answer for the Bums.

*Not to be forgotten tonight: Greinke striking out 13 -his new Dodger high-, Jansen blowing the save in the 9th via a Justin Upton HR... which, duh, set-up that great finish in the 10th.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    MLB Trade Rumors has Lester going to the A's, possibly for Cespedes.

Edit - Lester and Gomes for Cespedes. That's what we all expected, right?

Amazing.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    What in the holy **** are Oakland thinking with this trade.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think it's kind of brilliant. They boost their rotation, they save $10.5 million next year, and the drop off from Cespedes to Gomes isn't as huge as you'd think. Cespedes is only hitting .256/.303/.464 this year and his career numbers are more or less the same as Gomes. And Gomes is obviously only going to play against lefties and even in a down year this year, he's hitting .302/.400/.431 against them.

Amazing.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's... an incredible deal for the Sox, also assuming Lester comes back next year.

WTF is Beane thinking? I usually trust him to have logic (even insane troll logic) but I can't see it here...

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oakland wants to win the title this season. That's what I can tell from this, they think an extra starter is what will get them by Detroit in the ALCS.

B, I get what you're saying, but I think it's an awfully short-sighted deal, especially if there is nothing built in to keep Lester from running back to Boston in the offseason. Cespedes is a strikeout collector, but he's got elite power, and will likely be the center of that lineup for 5-6 years, assuming Boston gets him to resign in 2 years.

22. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't think Cespedes is the kind of player either the Sox or the A's would re-sign. When he's a free-agent he'll be 30 years old and where you see elite power, I see a guy who hits 20-25 homers a year and doesn't get on base with any sort of regularity. He's an obvious upgrade right now and next year for the Sox, who are obviously not looking to rebuild, but there's no way he stays beyond that. And again, the A's save $10.5 million next year, which is huge for them. And not that they have much left, but the A's also didn't give up any prospects.

Edit - The trade I don't understand is Tommy Milone for Sam Fuld. Seems like the A's could have gotten a better return on him.

Amazing.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm sure going from an extreme pitcher's park (A's) to a good hitter's park (Sox) will only help, considering his power and he now provides protection for Papi

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    B-Ref Park Factors disagree with your assessment and protection is a myth!

And now Boston has traded Lackey to the Cardinals.

Amazing.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Allen Craig and Joe Kelly in return. Boston is making out like bandits.