main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Wow, the Red Sox are making a killing on these trades.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Meanwhile, Brian Cashman appears content with Brandon McCarthy and Chris Capuano.

[​IMG]

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    According to Joel Sherman/The MLB Network, David Price will be traded today.

I'm sort-of annoyed that the Dodgers didn't land Lackey, but I'm not all too upset that it was the Cards that ended up with him... they still can have a tough time in reaching the playoffs. :p

The Lester-Gomes & Cespedes swap concerning Boston & Oakland? Wow. In the short, short terms, I LOVE IT for Oakland. Beyond this season? Not so much... potentially. It will be a sight to behold, though, for the remainder of 2014 & all of 2015 to see if Cespedes makes great use of the Green Monster, among other stuff, at Fenway.

EDIT: OF COURSE Lester's first scheduled start for Oakland -at the Coliseum- comes this Saturday, a planned Cespedes t-shirt giveaway.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    They're getting Marlon Byrd for some reason. He has a pretty good arm...

Amazing.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Marlon Byrd in RF is a non-trivial UG over Ichiro.

6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Reports now that they haven't traded for him. I love deadline day.

Amazing.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd take Marlon Byrd happily. Phillies want a metric **** ton for him, though, which he is not worth.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Too many rumors concerning Joc Pederson... way too many.

Concerning Lackey: something I'd only care to notice, and thus mention- Lackey's professional MLB career has been spent playing for the Angels, Red Sox and now St. Louis... that's a CODE RED situation.

:p

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I am now in need of a Mountain Dew Code Red, perhaps the greatest non-alcoholic beverage ever concocted.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    NO. :p

That honor goes to...

[​IMG].

That's the best one I can find on-the-fly; the drink in question is featured near Fisk's pole there, specifically the part of the ad to your left. That drink is...

[​IMG].

:D

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Eck. Code Red is the clear number one, followed by Strawberry Nesquik, and blue Powerade. Only dark blue. :p

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Subjective opinion! Subjective opinion!

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The deadline has now passed.

I must say that there was more activity than I expected. Much more entertaining than in previous years.

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    Tampa has traded David Price to the Tigers.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I love, LOVE that trade for Detroit.

For Tampa Bay? Not really, no. Why now, when they've made serious inroads in the pennant race? Yikes.

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    If Verlander was back to his old form, that Tigers rotation would be downright ludicrous. It already is, but just imagine Verlander-Price-Scherzer-Sanchez-Porcello at peak form . . .

And I'm not completely surprised that the Rays dealt him. Obviously the Tigers offered them enough, and they must not feel they are in serious playoff contention. But they kept Zobrist as far as I know, so he'll probably be a block player for next year.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I don't see why they'd feel that way, though... yeah, being 8 back in the division/5.5 back for the wild card (the 2nd spot) isn't inherently the most ideal situation, but given that they were 15+ games under .500 just a scant few weeks ago, and now sit at 53-55 is rather remarkable, gives them a legit chance of being in that pennant race conversation for the remainder of this season. If I were a Tampa Bay fan, I'd be really pissed about this.

18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    But at the same time, they can't expect to play .800 ball the rest of the way. They need to play .685 just to get to 90 wins, which still might not make the playoffs. And they got some good talent in return. Drew Smyly has never really been given a shot, but as a full time starter, he'll be plenty valuable for the Rays and Nick Franklin has put up really good numbers in the minors.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are cornering the market on aging backup infielders.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Franklin is a good prospect, just didn't get the playing time he needed (plus Smyly). So the Rays got something in return for Price, although this could easily blow up in their faces.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    You & Amazing both make good, fair points concerning that.

21. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Zobrist was traded to the Pirates by the Rays.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Perhaps I'm an awful baseball fan. But I like that my team spends a ton of money on good players. And I am so tired of this timid chicken **** that always grips the club in fear when it comes to midseason acquisitions. I know we spent tons of money on Ellsbury and Tanaka, and I realize we have a terrible, terrible farm system. But we can't hit worth a damn, and have no starting pitcher on staff that would make it past AAA in the Cubs system. So, I propose something like this- how about just giving the Phillies 30 million dollars in cash, and tell them to give us Cole Hamels.

OR JUST GET ME SOMETHING OTHER THAN CHRIS CAPUANO AND STEPHEN DREW.

Tanaka and Sabathia gone for the year, and we do absolutely nothing to help our pitchers, other than pick up two guys who I only remember from like MVP Baseball 2003.

Edit: Oh God. We got the living legend, Martin Prado. I take it all back!

Darth_Furio and DarthTunick like this.
  23. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Haven't had the chance to comment yet......I am excited as hell with the trades the Sox made!!! We made out way better than I thought we would! Cherington is on fire!!!!

Heck of a day fellas, heck of a day!

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 I greatly empathize with you about this, though the source (lately) for my thoughts & such concerns another team in another sport.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

Prado is a good player. Can play all over the diamond or the outfield. Hasn't been as good in Arizona as he was with the Braves, but I think he should do fine.
    In order to make trades though, you have to have something other teams want, and the Yanks for the reasons you stated, don't have that.