main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah...Hav's not a Broncos fan.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ew he's just defending Broncos fans, that's even worse.

Also, the statement still stands. It's the only apt comparison.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Vargas is the number two starter, and who exactly was he supposed to pick? Shields obviously isn't available until at least Game 2 or 3 and Duffy and Ventura aren't experienced enough, so the only other option I can see is Guthrie.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Honestly I think I'd rather have Guthrie. Vargas has not inspired confidence recently. Maybe he will pull it together, obviously I hope so.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

The kid on the step there...

Juliet316, Zeta1127 and Coruscant like this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, I don't care about Broncos fans. I'm just making fun of your obsession with the futile glory of Kansas City fandom because it is eminently silly and this is the JCC. The fact that you somehow conceptualize this as being about some kind of competition with Broncos fans is on you. I'm not following that logic. Also it kind of illustrates my point that this obsession is eminently silly.

Point Given likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Wow, 10-years later, despite their loss to the Cardinals in the LDS (though Jose Lima's game 3 will forever live on in my mind, and others I imagine, as a great Dodger playoff moment) & the presence of the hideous McCourts, that walk-off remains a great, special memory. A seminal moment, not just for the rivalry, but for the fact that this ended the 7-season playoff drought... thus, obviously, making this the 1st (and only, as it turned out) playoff appearance for those Shawn Green/Cesar Izturis/Jim Tracy-led Dodgers of the early-Aughts. Personally, 2004 was also a huge year for me: graduated high school, began college, my parents separated, I ended my self-hiatus from the JC (which I consider to be an important thing, so there! :p ), and also began my tenure at Walmart.

I'll never forget running around the living room like a maniac, or when my father got home from work that day, and the first thing he said was "They got 'em!" Damn straight they did.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I love it how Cabrera hits a home run, after that Hunter-Kinsler double play on a questionable-enough hit & run.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    What happened?

10. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    O's have cracked this thing wide open.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    That escalated quickly.

Amazing.

12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah that was crazy!

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That Butler checked-swing double play might be the worst play seen tonight.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That just proves how slow Butler really is.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    KC gets a win in Anaheim, exciting! Even a home run!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the magic continues. I mean, I would love to have a game that doesn't go over 4 hours because then I'd actually get something done after work besides a lot of jumping, shouting, and nail-biting. But I'll take it!

My parents have tickets to Game 3 at Kaufman, so at least they know that they won't be seeing the Royals lose the series. But I fully expect to lose tomorrow. I would be happy to split. Just hoping that whatever happens we can keep our energy up.

A coworker of mine is from KC but is an Angels fan because she's been out here 12 years and her husband is an Angels fan. I relish seeing her tomorrow :p

Havac, I only brought up the Broncos because multiple people here were referencing my comments on the NFL thread. And I just hate the Broncos. That's how rivalries work.

But a silly obsession? Are you a sports fan? The entirety of sports is a silly obsession that we take very seriously, all of us, not just me.

And being proud of my home town and enjoying sharing things with people from home is dumb? Again, are you a sports fan? This is the entire point of sports. They unite communities, create city identities, and give people something to care about collectively.

Some towns care about it more than others. Kansas City is both self-evidently and demonstrably one of those towns. There are other great sports towns with their own identities, too. But I'm not from any of those other towns, though, am I?

All of your complaints are literally just complaining about the basic elements of sports and sports fandom. I just don't even...

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, gee, I thought I was a fan but I guess I didn't know it had to be all about assuming an unearned air of superiority about my fandom while perpetually whining about everyone else.

SJ, you complain about arrogant fans, but I'm going to make a little revelation here. WE'RE THE BEST TEAM, IN YOUR FACE is no different from WE'RE THE BEST FANS, IN YOUR FACE. It's the same ugly, arrogant fandom, just bitter and self-pitying because it can't actually swing its **** about its team, and obnoxiously self-righteous because of the pity party about the team sucking. You have no room to complain about crass, arrogant, ugly fandom.

And that's what I'm mocking. Not enjoying a rivalry; whining about insane, counterfactual conspiracy theories about the refs favoring your rivals. Not celebrating your community's fan spirit; crowing about how your fans are TRUE FANS and all the other fans AREN'T FANNING RIGHT LOL GTFO LOSERS. When you do that, yes, I'm going to take the opportunity to poke fun at GLORIOUS KC FANS falling short of your hagiography.

Point Given , Yoda_S and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    I'm happy for the Royals. Like I said a few days ago, they went into the postseason hot. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they made it to the World Series. They're a fun team to watch, especially with all those gazelles capable of stealing bases.
    It's also good to see guys like Hosmer and Moustakas come up clutch the last few games. These guys were very highly touted prospects and they haven't really lived up to the hype. Maybe these playoffs will be their breakout party.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Current ad behind home plate: "Ok Google, what are wood baseball bats made from?"

I hope it's a real question.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Clearly the 8th inning is to Baltimore what extra-innings are to Kansas City thus far.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Baltimore has got the goods. Good representation of the AL East.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Oh man, they're already talking about THE SHADOWS for the Cards/Dodgers game... in the middle of Giants/Nats! I may not last through the afternoon. :p

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    As much as I want the Orioles and Royals to win, I hope they both lose at least one game. I'm hoping for a four-game Monday.

Amazing.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Your best bet, concerning Detroit/Baltimore specifically, is for Price to be insanely great on Sunday for the Tigers... their bullpen simply, obviously, can't be trusted.