main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So, about Hunter Pence...

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    well, if mad bum pitches like he's been pitching, he's got all the lead he needs. it's a long game though.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Probably would have been for the best had James Shields not been given a name that kind of rhymes with game.

Amazing.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Just because it worked for James Worthy, doesn't mean it's going to work for every 'James'; I can envision a version of those Rob Lowe DirecTV ads with Shields... "Hi, I'm James Shields." "And I'm super shakey James Shields."

5. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    the only hits mad bum is interested in allowing are the ones that leave bruises. lol

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    One wonders if that'll be the Royals best scoring opportunity tonight.

Aaand...

[​IMG].

It's the return of the "Most Interesting Marlins fan" in the world.

7. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I wonder how much money Shields has cost himself this postseason.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  9. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    i was just thinking that. millions.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I doubt he's cost himself a thing. Any organization that's interested is going to look at his overall body of work, not a handful of games in October.

Amazing.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I hate to say it, but it's going to be interesting to see how Panik's career develops.

12. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
  13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Looks like it's going to be a short series. Possibly very short.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd imagine that the Royals will hit better in non-Bumgarner starts in this Series... well, I hope so anyway.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Arizona wiped out New York in Game 1, and needed a great comeback in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 to win the series (which they dominated overall, of course, but that's beside the point).

The Red Sox beat the Mets in the first two games on the road at Shea Stadium in 1986, but they didn't pick up their championship for almost two more decades.

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Go Giants!

Yeah, I just got back. Really pumped about the game, but obviously anything can happen- it's a World Series, after all.

****ing HUNTER PENCE, though, huh? :D

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Well, if we're going back to the 80's with this: the '85 Royals lost the 1st two games of that Series at Kaufmann, found themselves down 3-1 after 5 against St. Louis, and of course came back to win that series (with a bit of help from an infamous call in game 6).

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I expected to lose this game. I expected Shields to be a problem since he's been our worst pitcher in the post season. And I would have probably been fine with that had he not blown the whole game ten minutes into it. Couldn't you at least wait for the 4th or 5th inning so the KC fans get a chance to soak in and enjoy the WS for a little bit? It just set a horrible tone and I feel bad for all the people who paid to go. The pitching was bad across the board at the worst possible time. We knew getting any runs off Bumgarner would be tough. The pitching combined with that horrendous third inning just added up to the worst Royals game I've seen all season. Now to me the only victory I can hope for is that they win tomorrow so they at least get a home win before they go finish out the series in SF.

Now I'm not saying the Royals are bad or frauds. Not at all. They're damn good. But they also require good pitching to play their game so as soon as they don't have it, it's over. The Giants are a bad matchup for us. They are the better version of our team, what I'd hope our team could be in a few years. I have nothing against them. I didn't think we'd be able to beat them. But I also thought we'd at least get maybe half a freaking game to enjoy the experience.

I am serious, I have seen Shields pitch in the post season, the regular season, including i n person this year... And he has always been mediocre at best when I see him.

We'll see if there's any miracle left, but mostly it's all going to come down to if our starting pitchers play much much better than this.

Pretty much the worst game I've seen, but the Chiefs playoff loss last year may have topped it. Close call. So many examples of KC teams blowing it. It's why all of us KC sports fans are so positive :p

19. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    It's a long series. Not even close to being over, one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coruscant likes this.
  20. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just one game. A long way to go-- one need only look at the 1985 Series for that.

Darth Tunes and Coruscant like this.
  21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't really think you should start despairing, Rachel. I know I predicted a 4-1 series in the Giants' favor, but after the past few days since clinching the pennant and then finally this first game, I just have a gut feeling this is going to be a long series. Heck, I think Lincecum will be pitching again before it's over. Your Royals ain't going down like those Tigers did two years ago.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    If you want to see an example of how a young team lost the first game and then went on to win the Series, look at the 1969 Mets. The Orioles took the first one in routine fashion (4-1). It looked like just a stopover on the march to Baltimore's coronation. The Mets won the next four straight to win it all. I don't think the Royals have anyone like Seaver (or Gil Hodges), but it's something to look to if you're a Royals fan.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Even with my overall annoyance with the whole 'Hunter Pence signs' thing from this year, that one is funny.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Fair enough. I am by no means a baseball historian, or even enthusiast. The Giants just sure seem to have that ineffable, intangible "something" in the postseason, though, even after having mediocre seasons. (Isn't it strange how similar they are to the New York Giants in that regard?)

I've been calling Hunter Pence "Marv" all postseason when watching the games with friends, so I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who saw a resemblance.

Darth Tunes and heels1785 like this.