main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    ESPN is reporting that the Cubbies have fired their manager.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    So the Rockies extended a qualifying offer to Michael Cuddyer for some reason, thereby ruining blatantly-obvious-move-the-Mets-need-to-make number one. He'd be stupid to reject it, so congratulations Rockies! You're giving a $5 million raise to a 36 year old outfielder who played 49 games last year. I'm mostly annoyed because a Duda/Cuddyer platoon (if Collins could bring himself to stick to it), would have been pretty awesome.

Blatantly-obvious-move-the-Mets-need-to-make number two is based on several supposedlies. Supposedly Alex Gordon is available and supposedly it would take a package of Daniel Murphy and Rafael Montero to get it done. And supposedly the Mets aren't interested in a rental for Montero. Really? If that's really all it takes to get Alex Gordon, that trade should happen immediately. Left field was a black hole for the Mets last year, this would be a huge upgrade and they don't need him long-term because their outfield is going to be full in 2016.

Amazing.

5. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I haven't read anything about Gordon being available, but I know Butler won't be back, and Shields most likely won't be back either.
    I think the Royals would have to be on crack to trade Gordon. He's one of the best left fielders in the game, solid with the glove, and huge with RISP with the bat.
    I think it's the season for rumors flying all around, but most of it is just noise.

6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    If he is available it'd be because he's going to be 31 and in the last year of his contract. And that's not the sort of player a team like the Royals should sign to a long-term deal. But if they're intent on signing him, trading him to the Mets would be ideal, because they absolutely wouldn't sign him long-term, so he'd be available again after next season.

Amazing.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Doubt the Royals let him get anywhere near availability. He's been terrific for them for several years now.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Royals let Alex Gordon go, I will be just as mad, if not more mad, than I was when they let the likes of Raúl Ibañez (fortunately he got the opportunity to comeback), Carlos Beltrán, Johnny Damon, Alberto Callaspo, and Mike Avilés go.

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  10. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Well my boy Dustin wins his 4th Gold Glove! I'm glad for him, especially considering he played most of this season with a hurt wrist.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Shows what I know, they signed Cuddyer anyway. Apparently they're cool giving up draft picks now. Hopefully that means they're going for it this year. Rumors they're talking to the Rockies about Tulo, too.

And in less than an hour, Jacob deGrom should win the Rookie of the Year. All in all, not a bad day.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes and Point Given like this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I should probably be more excited than I am for Kluber having won the Cy Young award.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got that same muted excitement over Kershaw's Cy Young, even with the history (youngest ever to win 3) behind it.

15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, King Felix got robbed! Nothing against Kluber, because he had a great season as well, but what Felix was doing was almost super human! 16 straight starts in particular in which he went 7 or more innings and only gave up 2 runs or less! That does not happen! Not only that but he was second to only Kershaw in the whole league in ERA for starting pitchers.
    That said, good for Kluber and the Indians for getting recognized.

16. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't think he got robbed. I certainly didn't expect Kluber to win, simply because of name recognition. But their seasons were remarkably similar and neither had a significant edge in any of the numbers.

Amazing.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Cy Young and MVP: Kershaw!

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Certainly a banner day for those philosophically unopposed to a pitcher winning the MVP.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Trout got the MVP on the AL side as well.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    13 years, $325 million for Stanton. From the Marlins. This feels like it's almost guaranteed to end in disaster for someone. If not everyone.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WHAT?!?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Atlanta, wheeling and dealing as good as ever.

Also, Toronto is giving 5yr/82 million to 31 year old catcher Russell Martin.

25. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Of course now that means that Heyward is going to seriously start raking in St. Louis. That's how these things usually end up.
    Word is that Justin Upton could be available as well. If so, I would love for the Sox to get him because we sure could use a corner outfielder that can drive in runs, and not sure if we're keeping Cespedes.