main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Damn it.

Darth McClain likes this.
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Trades like the Heyward trade always make me mad. Why couldn't the Mets get in on that? They have pitching prospects all over the place.

I realize there are far more considerations than just that, I didn't claim this was rational.

Amazing.

Dark Lord Of The Empire and dp4m like this.
  3. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Sooooo shall we discuss the epic fail which is the Stanton contract?
    The cheapest team in the league run by the cheapest owner, who holds fire sales every few years, and has an all but non existent fan base, is now willing to commit HALF, that's right, HALF of it's league low payroll to ONE player by serving him the largest contract in North American sports history. 13 years, $325 million.
    [​IMG]

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    They're worse than the Raiders at this point. And the Raiders haven't won a game in over a year.

5. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Stanton be like....
    [​IMG]

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    With a No - Trade clause to boot.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    At least it gets rid of the pesky Stanton trade rumors. Those can move on to a different player now.

8. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    There's a shocking bit of genius in the contract. It has an opt out after 6 years. Over the first three years, it's paying him $30 million and $107 million over the first six. The Marlins are clearly hoping that Stanton puts up six superstar years, they win at least one World Series, and then he opts out, getting them off the hook for the next $218 million.

It's only a bit of genius, because it requires a lot to go right and there's almost no way anyone will be willing to top $218 million over 7 years when Stanton is 30 years old.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Have you met the Texas Rangers?

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm surprised you didn't say the Yankees.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the Rangers have learned from their A-Rod contract debacle.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Did you miss what they did last offseason?

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    The Rangers are in a much better position than they were during the A-Rod years. Their former owner was running them into the ground and was in dire straights financially. For his part, A-Rod put up MVP type numbers the whole time he was there, but because of his massive contract and the team finances, they could not put a better team around him, and they pretty much ignored pitching all together.
    The Rangers now have stable ownership, a steady flow of cash, and Daniels is widely regarded as one of the better GM's in the league. He's made a few head scratching moves, but he's been able to field a pretty good team during his tenure. He was smart not to resign Hamilton, and he knew it was time to move on from Michael Young. The Kinsler for Fielder trade filled a big need for them at first base, and Kinsler was expendable with Profar and Odor coming up. It's important to remember that they literally had over half of their team on the DL last year, including having 17 players on there at one point during the summer. No team could overcome those kind of losses. If they are at full strength come Opening Day, I expect they should compete for the AL West title, though it will be tough no doubt. I do think they overpaid for Choo and Fielder is still due a lot of money, but they are good players and should contribute.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  16. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Anyone see Stanton's phony as all hell press conference yesterday? They might as well have had people holding up cue cards behind the camera.
    My favorite part though was when a reporter asked Loria point blank about ripping off the tax payers to get a stadium built and promising to spend more, then trading away everyone he had signed. Loria ducks behind his mic and looks to his left as if to say, "so which one of you guys is going to answer this for me?" Then there was a pause for about five to six seconds until his GM says "I'll take a stab at that" and then completely dodges the question and talks about how the Marlins do so much in the community and blah blah blah BS. The whole thing was comical.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    That's every baseball interview ever. They're specifically trained to say nothing. It's an actual part of Spring Training and minor league development. Every pre-, mid-, and post-game interview is meaningless. It's easily one of the more frustrating parts of nationally televised games, because they insist on more and more "access."

The only player interviews I've ever seen that are reasonably interesting in terms of content as on Intentional Talk. And while your mileage may vary with respect to Chris Rose and Kevin Millar, they at least get more out of their interviews than "I'm just trying to help the team win/taking it one day at a time/looking for my pitch/pounding the zone" nonsense.

Amazing.

18. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Well, we've got Panda. And Hanley is coming back too! Their contracts are pretty reasonable. I'm real surprised by both these moves to be honest, but happy with them. As long as Panda makes the commitment to the team with his body and gets in some better shape. I've always loved Hanley since he was out top prospect, so it's great to have him back. Not sure what it means for Boagarts though.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Didn't Hanley play like 2 games for you all before being traded to Florida?

I liked it better when Boston couldn't keep up with our spending, now they're spending like a Russian oil tycoon.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Not surprised at all, of course, about Hanley's departure... however, I'm still annoyed. Whose going to be the Bums shortstop now? Arruebarrena? Rojas? Meh.

'Twas a rather nice 2 1/2 year stint with the Bums, though. Forever will I, and others, ponder what might have been if his ribs weren't cracked during the 2013 NLCS via that Joe Kelly pitch. And of course this glorious moment from my lone trip to Chavez Ravine this year:

21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    So the Hall of Fame ballot came out today. Fun fact that I didn't know until about 10 minutes ago: apparently there is a nominating process to get on the ballot. I always assumed if you played 10 years you were automatically on, which is how we'd always end up with players who clearly had no shot (your Jacque Jonseses if you will). Seriously, here's two groups of players:

Group 1: Jarrod Washburn, Mark Loretta, Kelvim Esocbar, Kevin Millar, Paul Byrd
    Group 2: Rich Aurilia, Tony Clark, Eddie Guardado, Tom Gordon, Aaron Boone

One group made it, one didn't. If you can draw a dividing line between the two, I'd like to see it.

As for the ballot itself, there are 15 players I think clearly deserve to be in, three I'm on the fence about, one I don't think deserves it but I'm willing to listen, one that everyone seems to be on the fence about and I'm willing to listen, and one that everyone seems to be on the fence about that I don't think deserves it at all.

But the good news is the 10 player per voter limit is still in effect, people who haven't covered baseball in decades still have votes, and others will return blank votes as some sort of bizarre statement that no one cares about. Can't wait till things get even more crowded next year!

Amazing.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And all those from the 90s and beyond in the 'Steriod Era' still have no shot to get in regardless of whether they used or not.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yay, teh Red Sox are now trying to buy championships! Their conversion to the Dark Side is complete!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Aaron Boone better be a first ballot HOFer.

My line is between him and everyone else in those two groups of scrubs. Aaron Boone is a legend.

AmazingB likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    How many years did that post lag before finally posting?

Jedi Gunny and PRENNTACULAR like this.