main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

Yeah he didn't really get the chance to do anything at the major league level for us before being dealt, but we all had our eyes on him in the minors and most people knew he was going to be special. I was happy to get Beckett at the time, but giving up Hanley and Anibal Sanchez was a pretty big deal.
    I do hope we aren't going the Yankee route and spending like crazy. These two contracts are pretty reasonable considering the amounts being shelled out these days. While we have dealt out big money contracts, our World Series teams have been made up mostly of home grown guys, or guys who were traded for when they were prospects, lower level free agents, or guys picked up off the scrap heap.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, their deals definitely not as out there as the Stanton contract.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So the Red Sox overpaid for an oft-injured shortstop and a declining third baseman? They've out-Yankeed the Yankees.

Darth Tunes and dp4m like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  6. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Sandoval is only 28, he isn't declining. I do have concerns about his weight though, but apparently the plan is to shift him to DH when Ortiz retires.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Will there now be massive panda hat burnings as the Chosen Panda leaves the Bay Area?

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    What a pickup for Seattle. Nelson Cruz.

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I stayed in upstate NY over the holidays and took my chance to see Boston for the first time last Saturday. Obviously, I couldn't pass up a tour of Fenway. That park is gorgeous, just a gem. Cold, though! Brrr!

Later, I'll post a picture of me in the press box pointing to my Giants hat with the Red Sox dugout in the background.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite non-Yankees, Ryan Dempster, is retiring after 16 years and taking a job in Theo Epstein's front office. Heck, I even liked this guy when he was in Boston.

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    A's traded Brandon Moss to Cleveland.

Not sure what to make of this one. Depends on what the A's get in return, because right now it looks like a terrible trade.

12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    They got a guy who's in AA that is 24 years old. Yikes!
    So now Donaldson and Moss are gone, two of the most productive guys on the team. A team that already struggled to score in the second half of the season. Looks like Billy is getting out Billy'd these days.

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Either that or he knows something that no one else does. Doubt it at this point.

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I tend to give Billy Beane the benefit of the doubt. They got a 25 year old non-prospect, but they're also saving about $7 or $8 million. Moss is the kind of player the A's love when he's cheap, but it's not like he's irreplaceable.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree with B 100%.

Brandon Moss is an efficient player, but in no way a unique talent.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Jerry Crasnick@jcrasnick Follow
    I just had a front office person tell me, "Don't count out the #yankees with Jon Lester.'' Scout hearing the same thing.

• Lester to Yankees rumor buzzing
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • By Andrew Marchand | December 8, 2014 9:36:06 PM PST
    SAN DIEGO -- It all adds up. The Yankees diving in late to steal the top left-hander on the market, a former Red Sox and a top free agent without the penalty of a first-round pick.

The Yankees and Jon Lester seem like a pretty good match, even with the Yankees' new hope to not dish out long-term pitching contracts to those 30 years old and older.

The Yankees have insisted they are not in on Lester. As late as 7 p.m. ET on Monday, that was still the case.

However, our own insider Jerry Crasnick is hearing some buzz from sources outside the Yankees organization that say the Yankees could be playing possum and might land Lester.

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1
    Not just SP mkt waiting on Lester. Headley has to wait because #Sfgiants won't know how much can spend/not spend until know if got Lester

Crasnick also is hearing that Lester prefers to stay on the east coast and in the AL East, if possible. Hence, the Yankees could just decide it would be smarter to invest their money in Lester than Chase Headley and/or David Robertson. They also might think that without the first-round pick attached to signing Lester -- because he was traded during the season -- he's a better play than Max Scherzer, who will cost them a first round pick.

If we were running the team, we would be in on Lester and Scherzer.

wallace matthews@ESPNNYYankees
    Lester to Yankees rumor buzzing http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkyankees&i=TWT&city=newyork&w=1enoa&id=81733&src=desktop

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Sometimes I think the Yankees hate baseball.

Amazing.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I love the Yankees and wonder why everybody in the world doesn't love them like I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    give this man a raise.

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack.

That being said, I actually hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees (even as a Mets fan) because at least Yankees fans don't pretend to be humble and holier than thou. I'd rather they get Lester than the Red Sox, just to rub it in their faces.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Rooting for the Yankees is something for Historians which I am and it is also for Classy people it is not for everybody ....

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    God, we need Lester. Hope it's true.

23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Yeah like well-known Yankee fan Tacitus.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    the Yankees have the most History=27 championships and the most playoffs appearances and Pennants how is that not accurate?

25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Are you from New York/New Jersey/Connecticut, or had a family member who was a fan of the Yankees? Because if you're rooting for them because they have the most championships then that's like rooting for the house in blackjack.