main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Tom Glavine is expected to make a decision soon. I still think he goes back to the Mets, who will certainly offer him more money (expected to be about $11 million/year, not sure if it would be 1 or 2 year, the Braves reportedly won't offer him more than 1 year at $7 million) although he has said he wants to be at home (which is Atlanta) so he can be with his kids more... which, for someone already financially set, can be pretty important. So its not a sure thing, by any means.

Not sure what Atlanta would do if they did sign him, as that would give them 7 pitchers for their starting rotation - Horacio Ramirez would likely be traded, but would Kyle Davies or Chuck James also be traded? Given that James has drawn comparisons to a young Glavine, he might potentially benefit from having Glavine as a teammate. But we'll see. Decision expected by Sunday, I think.

3. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I am shocked its come to this, as coming so close to another shot at a title with the Mets would've given Glavine an incentive to stay and finish the job, but I guess he would rather take his chances with a Braves team still in flux.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Family can be a powerful motive, too, for some people.

Theres another article now on ESPN.com that mentions that the Braves haven't actually made an offer yet (as of earlier today), although they're still expected too. Also says that while Glavine is expected to reach a decision, the contract (at least if its with the Mets) may not be finished and signed for a while longer.

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    The family thing was assumed on my part, I'm just trying to put this in a competitive perspective: I mean this is just one more year, as Glavine has said repeatedly that he'd retire after getting 300.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    True, although speaking of 300, I can see him wanting to record that win in a Braves uniform, as thats where he spent most of his time. Even so, I would think that, if it exists at all, it would be very much secondary to the family motive for returning to Atlanta.

But as I said before, I still think he's going to end up in NY again. $4 million isn't a small amount. And given that the Mets need starting pitching, and the Braves frankly don't, it might be even more of a difference than that.

When he first started talking about only looking at two teams for next year, NY and Atlanta, I thought he was trying to drive up his contract, but as its drawn out, it looks like Atlanta actually is a distinct possibility.

7. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    This week is Tiger Fest Caravan week leading up to the sold out Tiger Fest event at Comerica Park this Saturday. Team members and coaches are traversing the state of Michigan getting people geared up for the upcoming season.

I took my youngest daughter and two of her friends to see Tigers Center Fielder Curtis Granderson in Saginaw this weekend since he and Pudge Rodriguez are her two favorite players. The line had slowed down when we got there, and Curtis not only signed autographs, but he posed for photos and video and talked with the girls for about four minutes answering all their questions and encouraging them to work hard at school so they can realize their dreams. What a class act - both on the field and off!

8. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
  9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Is that the last year for the current stadium?

10. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    Yea, whenever the Yankees get out of the season will be the last time the gates will be open, although I hope they dont knock it down and declare it a national historic landmark.

11. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004

Pffft I already posted that in the other thread on the JCC. :p

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

12. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    Spring training begins next week!
    I was bored, so I looked up all of the team's report day (correct me if I counted wrong):

Angels: Thursday
    Astros: Thursday
    A's: Friday
    Blue Jays: Friday
    Braves: Thursday
    Brewers: Saturday
    Cardinals: Wednesday
    Cubs: Wednesday
    Devil Rays: Saturday
    Diamondbacks: Thursday
    Dodgers: Friday
    Giants: Wednesday
    Indians: Thursday
    Mariners: Wednesday
    Marlins: Saturday
    Mets: Friday
    Nationals: Tuesday
    Orioles: Wednesday
    Padres: Thursday
    Phillies: Wednesday
    Pirates: Thursday
    Rangers: Sunday (not this coming)
    Red Sox: Friday
    Reds: Saturday
    Rockies: Thursday
    Royals: Friday
    Tigers: Thursday
    Twins: Sunday (not this coming)
    White Sox: Saturday
    Yankees Tuesday

So I guess the season unoffically begins Tuesday when the Nationals and the Yankees report!

13. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    My season unofficially begins on Wednesday. :cool:

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Damnit, I have to wait until that Friday.[face_frustrated]:p

15. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    angels are winning the AL west [face_dancing]

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ahh ... spring training is almost among us. Hope springs new. Almost every fan can convince himself his team can contend.

Me? I think my team can contend, but the bitterness in me and the expectations of defeat leaving me counting down to wonder how many close games Eric Wedge will blow this year, and what kind of run the Tribe will go on to have a respectable record despite underperforming a good portion of the year that will save his job.

Personally, I think they'll come out of the gate hot, slump most of the summer, and make a late run to fall short.

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I really like alot of the moves that the Indians made in the offseason.

The Central is the toughest division in baseball, if you ask me. Arguably 4 of the top 10 teams in the league are there (Tigers, White Sox, Indians and Twins can all be perceived as contenders).

I expect the Indians to rebound this year and really put up a good season.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Upping, per question in the 10K post thread.

19. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Thanks Integral.

Anyways, the Red Sox, who's roster is looking to be very solid this year, as always (though we still need a closer), have defeated their rivals (7-5 Boston) during the only time they will see each other during the off-season, hopefully, it will be a sign of what is to come during the regular season, as they will see the Yankees often after the off-season. J.D. Drew also hit his first home-run with the Red Sox during this game. I also can't wait to witness Daisuke Matsuzaka pitch in the MLB (gyroball speculation may add to that).

On another note, the San Francisco Giants seemed to have greatly improved their roster as well (though the Giants also need a closer), picking up a veteran, semi-utility player in Aurilia, who is still loved here in San Francisco, even while playing for opposing teams. They had also picked up another former Giant in Russ Ortiz, and what I've seen of him I've been impressed with. They also picked up Bonds once more, Zito, two big names in baseball, Molina, and what I think is their best pick-up, Dave Roberts. He's one of the best on the bases, and we've gone a while without a speedy lead-off hitter, and he's plenty experienced as well, he could also be considered a veteran, who has playoff experience and WS experience with the Red Sox. We seem to have a fairly good offense this year round, and our pitching roster is impressive with Lincecum, Lowry, and Cain as the promising younger pitchers of the team, and Ortiz, Morris (whom I'm not so sure of at this point), and Zito.

Of course, both the Padres and Dodgers have improved their rosters as well, and the NL West is shaping up to be one of the tougher divisions in baseball.

I'm very highly anticipating the regular season, spring training and the off-season just doesn't seem to capture the excitement of regular season play.

20. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I'm not one to talk as Mets fan (our top two startes are both 40+), but the Giants roster seems way too old to compete with the Dodgers, the clear front runner in the division.

21. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Well, this is baseball, and while it doesn't look like the Giants have the better team, I feel they have a good enough roster to compete with the Dodgers.

Though you're right, our team is old, our center fielder has a gray beard, our left fielder is ancient and crippled, and most all the rest of the Giants could be considered veterans. Though in defense of the two mentioned (Roberts and Bonds), with that age comes experience, and both are solid baseball players. I had already explained Roberts value with the Giants, and Bonds just changes the whole way baseball is played. When he's in the batting order, in the lineup, the opposing team shapes the way they pitch to each batter before him, when he's up, he either draws a walk, draws an enormous shift, or on the rare occasion they may pitch to him, and then there is still the chance he will get on base or put one out of the yard.

All our players are old, though most of them are solid players. I think the Giants have a shot at the playoffs this year.

22. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I predict that the White Sox will finish third in their division. They will only win 84 games. I'd like to see us do a lot better than last year, but we have rookies in our bullpin, and I don't see our pitching getting any better. I do think that one of our three power hitters will have a huge year.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The AL Central could be the most competitive division in baseball this year. I've seen four teams from the Central picked by experts to win the World Series (White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Indians). The most I've seen of that ilk from any other division is two.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  25. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I guess everyone is used to ARod's infantile antics that they aren't newsworthy anymore. :p

I think the recent events pretty much wrap up any doubt that he won't opt out of his contract after this year. He has many good reasons for doing so, including taking advantage of a bloated market (6+ years/$150+ million, anyone?).