main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Kennedy won 21 games for Arizona two years after he left New York, where we barely started the kid. Hughes put up a monstrous K:BB ratio last season that was nearly 8 points better than his best season in NY.

It's frustrating when we're trotting out Chris Capuano to know that, for little money, we could have hung on to a few of these guys who could at least dampen the blow of losing Sabathia, Nova, and Tanaka to injury.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am fine with Capuano as a 4th or 5th starter and I love the potential of this Eovaldi Kid he is only 24 years old and throws 98 MPH if I am the Yankees front office my next move would be to sign Kuroda and then move Capuano to the Pen and then if Tanaka gets TJ Surgery we have some Depth.....

Kuroda is old, yes but he has been one of our most consistent pitchers over the years, he doesn't get much run support and consistently gives up 1-2 runs a game that is not his fault. I think if you are one of the Yankees fans like me who has been Clamoring to get younger and build up the farm system you are going to like the moves that the Yankees have made this offseason but if you are a spoiled Yankees fan who wants an All Star at every position then you wont like the moves the Yankees are making.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If I am the Yankees I spend 200 million dollars on Max Scherzer and James Shields.

4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    to get Max Sherzer we would have to give him a 7-8 year contract and I don't want to be a part of Sherzer's contract at the end of that contract, just look at CC

Or A-Rod, his PED's not withstanding ....

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If we can get 3-4 great years out of him, it's well worth it.

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    unless we are getting most of his contract as his best years I don't think it is worth it and that goes for Cano last year as well, I agree with how the Yankees treated the Cano situation last year, the new core four is in our Minor Leagues now starting with Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela and Betances !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

7. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    AL West will be pretty interesting between the Mariners and Angels. I think the Angels start out ahead but the Mariners take over in August with better pitching. Oakland seems to have downgraded this year with their moves but there is a chance they could be competitive as well.

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    In case anyone thought this might be the year a player was unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame, there's at least one writer who left off Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson. For the perfectly acceptable reasoning that he expects them to get elected anyway and wanted to vote for Larry Walker and Alan Trammell to keep them from falling off the batllot. But at least they still have that 10 player limit!

Amazing.

9. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    That's understandable. I don't mind when guys do things like that in those instances. I like Walker, but I don't know if I would consider him a HOF player personally. I'd maybe have just outside of that. Trammell should be in.

10. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm on the fence on Walker. I don't like this as an argument, but I think he's more deserving than the last two outfielders to make it, Andre Dawson and Jim Rice. And while his numbers were inflated by Coors, he wasn't exactly a creation of Coors.

Amazing.

11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, and Craig Biggio are in!

dp4m likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Piazza fell 26 votes short (I'm watching SportsCenter)

Edit2: Buster Olney revealed he did not even send his ballot this year.

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Hopefully Piazza and Bagwell get in next year.

dp4m likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm having a hard time rationalizing Smoltz getting 83 percent of the vote. He was a great starter and great closer for a few years, but never a shoo-in for me like Pedro or Unit.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    No surprises really with the HOF vote, pretty much exactly what I expected. I do think Piazza and maybe Bagwell get in next year.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Even with the Piazza exclusion, a Smoltz-Martinez-Johnson-Biggio class of 2015 is still rather nice.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think Smotlz got extra credit for being part of the Braves triumvirate. I would say it points to people who take seriously the "Fame" part, but that doesn't explain Schilling not making it. And Mussina might have been a better pitcher overall than either of them. I certainly think Smoltz belong, so I'm not complaining about his inclusion. I just find it fascinating that he sailed in, but Mussina and Schilling didn't come close.

But hey, at least Darrin Erstad, Tom Gordon, Aaron Boone, and Troy Percival got votes. I wish all ballots were made public.

Amazing.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Troy Percival got four votes!

Good points, B. And I still think Lee Smith belongs, but it seems like history's light has made him appear pretty ordinary.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Player A: 197 Wins, 171 Losses, 3.50 ERA, 2401 K, 116 ERA+, 3.40 FIP. 62.5 WAR.
    Player B: 213 Wins, 155 .Losses, 3.33 ERA, 3074 K, 125 ERA+, 3.24 FIP. 66.5 WAR.

Player B played 3 years fewer than Player A. The above does not count postseason; one of those two pitchers has a significant edge.

Guesses?

BTW -- John Smoltz was a no-brainer HOFer.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    You're a no brainer no brainer!

Eck and Smoltzie.

dp4m likes this.
  21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    If neither of those are Rick Reuschel then your game is boring.

Amazing.

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Zobrist, Escobar to the A's; Jaso and two prospects to Rays

Looks like the Rays finally traded Zobrist away, and the A's are definitely getting an upgrade for utility. Now, if Escobar can field well this next season is up for debate.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ben Zobrist is so good. Huge pickup for Oakland.

24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    So what's the story with Mad Max? Is he going to wait until Spring Training to sign?

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The more time that passes, the less chance I think we have of signing him, and that he's staying in Detroit. It looks like we're focusing on our bullpen and defense, and content to build slowly.

We could really use an ace, though.