main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    A's traded Yunel Escobar, just acquired from the Rays, to Nats for RP Tyler Clippard.

Obviously Beane didn't think Escobar could be salvaged defensively, and thinks that Clippard could be an answer for the bullpen (he's a good option, but relief pitchers can be bad investments in deals like this).

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Kind of weird that the Nats are going to sign Scherzer and then trade Zimmermann. Could probably just extend Zimmermann for less and get similar production.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Possible Yovanni Gallardo to Rangers talks.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Apparently the contract for Scherzer is half deferred, so they're paying him an aav of $15 million per year through 2028. I also read that they intend on keeping Zimmermann and are going for it, not unlike the Phillies a few years ago. I'd think that'd rather retool since their future contact obligations are already kind of insane, with more to come (Strasburg and Harper, most notably).

Amazing.

7. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I heard they have to trade Zimmermann and Desmond to have the money to sign Scherzer, but that could just be a rumor. The Nats are certainly not the team I expected to sign him. If they keep everyone, that is an insane rotation!

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
  9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    He'll have some easier pickings in the NL East, with Atlanta, Miami and the Phils trying to find traction. And the Mets still aren't exactly a contender yet, so the Nats should have an easy time this season in their division.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Look at this rotation.

1) Strasberg
    2) Scherzer
    3) Zimmerman
    4) Fister
    5) Gio Gonzalez

Fister went 16-6 last year, Gio is a few years removed from 21-8.

This is ludicrous.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I hardly know'er!

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I knew it was coming, but my money was on PRENN.

PRENNTACULAR and dp4m like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... that's what she said?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Rob Neyer made a pretty good point. The Nationals won 96 games last year, had the run differential of a 98-win team. When you play to that level, it's really, really hard to improve. And Scherzer is replacing Tanner Roark in the rotation. Roark probably pitched way over his head last year, but according to bWar, he was the best pitcher in their rotation. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be predicting in excess of 100 wins this year, but the under seems much more likely.

Amazing.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm a little late with this but I am so freakin excited that randy johnson is going into the HOF as a dback. If I had to see him with a mariners cap on I might have cried for the rest of my life.

KnightWriter likes this.
  16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    HOF SS Ernie Banks passed away today....one of the all time greats. RIP Mr. Cub :(

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely, one of the best we'll ever see.

[​IMG]

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Farewell to one of the greats.

19. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I just heard about this today :(

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So, Selig's tenure commish is officially over... time for an opinion!

I'd grade Selig's tenure as commish as a solid B-/C+. Just enough good (labor peace post '94; expanded playoffs) mixed with the bad (blind eye towards PED's for the longest time; the plague of interleague play*; that ASG rule change; not reinstating Pete Rose, among other things).

*Admittedly there have been some interesting match ups over-the-years, but I'd still like to see it go.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I still have a real, real hard time looking past the 94 series.

dp4m likes this.
  22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I personally have no issue with inter-league play, I think it is fun. In other sports, you play teams that are not from your conference, so why not with baseball?
    I do think the all-star game "meaning something" is one of Selig's worst ideas. They play a heck of a long season in baseball, and if you win 96-100 games, in my opinion, you have earned home field avantage. The midsummer classic should have no bearing on the world series.

MistrX and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So does Montreal...

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    To the extent that the Commissioner's job is to run the game for the owners and grow the game for them, it's hard to argue he's not the best commissioner the sport has ever seen. Not always great from the fan's perspective. But if Manfred's going to spend his entire tenure talking about crap like banning defensive shifts, then I already miss Selig.

Amazing.

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think Selig got more right than he got wrong in his stint.....the two biggest things for me that he got wrong was taking way too long to address the PED problem in baseball and I hate, hate that the All Star Game decides home field in the World Series. I like that we have inter-league play now, I like that we have some sort of instant replay system, and I like the expanded playoffs. It's going to be weird not having Selig as commissioner, seems like he's been in that position forever now.