main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. Basically killed a franchise.

Edit: you may not know this, but Les Expos were my second favorite team growing up. Back when it was totally fine to have a team you liked in the other league because there was no interleague play.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Did the loss of the Expos kill Tim Raines' HOF chances? The man belongs in there.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think the biggest reasons he's not in, in no particular order, are cocaine, a perception that he lacked durability (this might be limited to just me, but he only played 150 games once after his age 26 season), and he wasn't Rickey Henderson.

But I think he has a pretty good shot next year.

Amazing.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He kicked cocaine early on in his career, and I don't think it should be held against him regardless.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think Raines goes in next year - significantly weaker class in 2016, with only Junior Griffey as a first-ballot lock. Should give the field some more opportunities.

6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Oh, I certainly don't think it should, but I think it is. Or was when he first hit the ballot. It also shouldn't be held against him that he wasn't as good as Rickey Henderson, but it is.

Amazing.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The new commissioner is not off to a good start for me....he's talking about banning defensive shifts....hopefully he gets shouted down on that one, I don't even know how you would enforce that and I think it would have to be really defined on what constitures a "shift". I guess most of the other stuff he said weren't too bad but this one really had me scratching my head.

8. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah that's pretty dumb of him for sure. Let teams play defense however they like. I do think there is such a thing as over-shifting though. The way to beat it is to lay down a bunt, like Adrian Gonzalez did this year. Right down the 3rd base line, with no one covering it due to the over-shifting to the opposite side. If you already have a guy on base who has speed, this is even better, as he could potentially make it from 1st to 3rd. I think if more players expose the shifts with the threat of bunting, we will see less of it.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Shifts are definitely overdone, but it does give the defense a better chance to make the out, so it challenges the batter even more. Makes hitters have to think more about where they hit, and what strategy they should use to compensate.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah the best way to get teams not to shift is to beat it. Making a rule to prevent it seems like a lot to me....especially because I would imagine it would be up to the umpires to decide if it's simply a team shading up the middle or a full on shift....kind of creates a slippery slope too....will outfielders be allowed to play in at the end of the game when a deep ball is going to end the game regardless?

11. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I have no problem with interleague play, but I do have a problem with the fact that (roughly) half the League plays under one set of rules and the other half plays with a different set.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  14. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I would love it if MLB would bring back Saturday doubleheaders....each team plays a few each year. It would be fun and it would shorten the season a little bit without cutting down the number of games played. I don't know if they would ever consider true doubleheaders but even day/night ones would be a good idea.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The problem with interleague play (and the unbalanced schedule) is teams are competing for the wild cards but facing different levels of competition. Strength of schedule shouldn't be an issue in baseball.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  16. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    [​IMG]Coolest statue out of all of them. Love the 2 tone!

cubman987 likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The season really needs to start so nonsense like that can be a non-story.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Grantland's got a list of the "worst" current contracts out there, some interesting names on the list. Name, years left, amount, team.

1. A-Rod, 3/61 million, Yanks
    2. Matt Harrison, 3/41 million (spinal fusion), Rangers
    3. BJ Upton, 3/46 million, Braves
    4. Shin Soo Choo, 6/116 million, Rangers
    5. Prince Fielder, 6/144 million, Rangers
    6. Albert Pujols, 7/189 million, Angels
    7. Ryan Howard, 2/60 million, Phillies
    8. Josh Hamilton, 3/83 million, Angels
    9. Andre Ethier, 3/56 million, Dodgers
    10. Justin Verlander, 5/140 million, Tigers

Consideration:
    Miguel Cabrera, 9/270 million, Tigers
    Joey Votto, 9/213 million, Reds
    Ubaldo Jimenez, 3/39 million, Orioles
    Yankees trio! Sabathia 2/53 million, Tex 2/45 million, Beltran 2/30 million
    Bronson Arroyo, 1/14 million (Tommy John), DBacks
    Elvis Andrus, 8/120 million, Rangers
    Edwin Jackson, 2/22 million, Cubs
    Michael Bourn, 2/28 million, Indians
    Nick Swisher, 2/30 million, Indians

I wonder if, and when Max Scherzer will slip onto this list. As bad as A-Rod is, I think Ryan Howard goes down as the all-time worst contract in baseball history, no question.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The Max Scherzer contract is interesting if only because it's half deferred. So unless he gets hurt for a significant amount of time, he'll never be overly expensive while on the Nationals. But no matter what happens, they're going to pay him an awful lot of money to not play for them.

But I agree about the Howard contract. Of all those listed, the most egregious at the time of signing, were A-Rod, Hamilton, and Pujols, and even they were somewhat justifiable (ok fine, not Hamilton's). Howard's contract was never not ridiculous.

Amazing.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I feel that Choo's may also end up being okay, but maybe that's just my pipe dream.

Also, A-Rod's contract was totally defensible at the time of original signing; similar to Lebron's. It was indefensible the minute he opted out and the Yankees re-upped.

22. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Reds sign Badenhop to bulk up the bullpen

ARE YOU TRYING TO CONTEND OR NOT PLEASE SEND A CLEARER SIGNAL GUYZ

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp4m - it's a possibility, I eyed that one too as a bit unfair, and maybe lumped in for the sake of piling on Texas. Choo will be 38 when that contract ends, which is younger than A-Rod is currently, and younger than Cabrera will be when his deal runs out.

His per year average is also only 19 mil, which is well short of the highest on the list, Cabrera/Howard and Verlander. Same goes for Elvis Andrus, who I think can considerably improve from last year, and somewhat justify the average 15 mil/year he gets - he's only 26.

And yes, I totally agree re: A-Rod.

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, I assumed the article was specifically referring to A-Rod's Yankee contract, not the original one from the Rangers.

Amazing.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.