main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that is so sad. i have wondered the last few years about him. he spoke so slowly during his press conference's he seemed older than his age. i wonder now if it was the parkinson's?

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    One of many things I hate about by-the-book managing:

Mets-Marlins tied at 3 in the 8th, Murphy leads off with a double and Ruben Tejada is coming up. Collins has him bunt, he bunts a little too hard and Murphy is thrown out at third. And the blame is placed on Tejada for not executing, not on Collins for bunting when Murphy is ALREADY in scoring position. I don't understand why everyone treats a sac bunt as a given, as if should be successful 100% of the time.

In conclusion, I hate sacrifice bunts and I can't stand Terry Collins.

Amazing.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You just don't understand baseball! /sarcasm

Also, in other news, yes Masahiro Tanaka is also on my fantasy team therefore he is also now injured.

5. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    More Terry Collins complaining (I know they're 15-5, but my biggest concern going into this season, the one thing I thought that might keep them out of the playoffs, is Collins):

The Mets opened the season with an 8-man bullpen. It's down to 7 now (though with 6 starters at the moment). And yet, Carlos Torres, who pitched last night (only one pitch, but still) is out there giving up the lead with no one warming. Meanwhile, Erik Goeddel was called up the second day of the season and has been in all of 5 games. Buddy Carlyle, who did pitch tonight, to one batter, has been in 8 games and thrown 5.2 innings after posting a 1.45 ERA last year. And then there's Hansel Robles who was called up on 4/20. He's pitched once. And all he did was work out of a bases loaded, no out jam in Yankee Stadium.

But no no, we'll just let Carlos Torres go out there again, because Terry Collins is hell bent on destroying his arm.

Good thing they gave up that out in the 7th though!

Amazing.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    4-17. Rock bottom start for The Brewers. What do we do? Keep the chin up, and play better Baseball.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    What a comeback by the Nats!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    If it makes you feel any better, the Brewers have temporarily passed Bartolo Colon in wins.

Amazing.

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-ROD!

Good on ya, mate. Total victory.

Also "I don't normally hear much difference in the boos, but these ones seemed extra loud..."

I love A-Rod, professional Boston troll...

heels1785 and Darth Tunes like this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Thankfully I caught that (660) live, for I was in the process of getting ready to go out; he's got to hit 661 on Sunday night, right? Add to the theater, A-Rod!

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ron Roenicke is dead.fired.

So the Brewers got that doing...

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite still having to rely on the likes of Brett Anderson & Scott Baker to be making starts for 'em, the Bums just had themselves a rather nifty homestand: 5-1 (2 out of 3 against Satan's Giants!).

The highlight (well, among many, given they won today on a walk-off homer in the 13th, and had 4 lefties homer against the Giants on Wednesday night): http://m.mlb.com/video/v99059083/arilad-scully-talks-about-fan-taking-a-selfie]Scully[/url] on selfies. Scully talking about Bobby Crosby, the fellow behind Dodgerfilms***? Niiiiice.

*** The video from that game:

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The last three Cubs games have been comforting in that terrible way that only Cubs games can be. "Ah yes, that's right, I'm a Cubs fan," I say, as I watch my team of choice make two critical errors to boost the worst team in the NL to victory over them. "Sweet, sweet Cubs fandom," as they squander an 8-4 lead on the Cards. What new wonders await?

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Sure it's still very early into the season, and they're in 1st place, with a very good offense & pitching that mostly gets the job done, but that home/road split there is starting to give me concern (especially since they lead all of baseball in road victories in 2014).

16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Cubs fans lol, poor Cubs fans! My dad, who is 73, said he would like to see the Cubs win the World Series. I told him that's not really realistic because even for me, as a 32-year-old guy, there's no guarantee that I will get to see that. What chance does he have? I mean the last time the Cubs won anything meaningful, the Titanic was still on the drawing board and Civil War veterans were still talking about what a crazy war that was ;)

I'm enjoying watching the Yankees play this year, which is surprising as I didn't think they'd be much to see. Today's obnoxious blown game aside, it has been a great couple of weeks.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well none of the young guys have gotten hurt yet.....we probably still have that to look forward to.

Ramza likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Has anyone been voting for the Franchise Four promotion? I think it's kind of silly, but good fun nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Although you're allowed to vote multiple times, I only did so once, because I've never been fond of the multiple vote rule (specifically in regards to the All Star game ballot). I didn't find this vote to be too difficult. :p Couldn't leave Robinson/Koufax/Snider off the ballot, which left only the final spot with some issue... settled on Valenzuela, for despite not having an all-time great career, his 1981 rookie season is one of the best of all-time (for a pitcher), but more importantly his success that year brought in so much of the Latino fanbase out here in La La Land, a lot of whom who had turned a cold shoulder to the Dodgers due to controversy over the Chavez Ravine evictions during the process of Dodger Stadium's construction.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

For the Mets I voted for Seaver/Franco/Piazza/Keith Hernandez. I considered Doc and Strawberry but I have some bitterness about how they destroyed their own careers and lives with drugs.

Looked through a few other ballots and voted on some. The Oakland A's were a tough one, every single player deserves to be chosen. Also I'm worried that recency bias will take place, especially with the Giants. I can imagine some idiots voting for Posey over Christy Mathewson for the final spot, since Bonds, Mays and McCovey seem like the other three locks.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I voted in that a lot....Banks, Sandberg, Santo on all of them and then splitting up picks for Billy Williams and Fergie Jenkins....and one write in vote for Mark Grace :p

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I haven't done votes for other franchises yet, but for the greatest living players ballot, I went with Aaron/Mays/Henderson/Bench. It was hard to leave Pedro off that ballot (since I already voted for Koufax for the Dodgers), but I've always had a soft spot for catchers, hence the Bench selection.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    WHY CANT I VOTE FOR BARTOLO COLON ANYWHERE

[​IMG]

cubman987 and Darth Tunes like this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    A rather nifty ending down in Anaheim last night:

Fantastic.

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I wouldn't have objected if the Mets traded Colon at the deadline last year or this past offseason. But I'm really glad they didn't. Watching him pitch is kind of awesome. He throws nothing but 2-seam fastballs, he doesn't walk anybody, and he is, by far, the least stressed athlete I have ever seen. And because he's nothing if not remarkable, he's also a really good fielder (and not just for a fat, 42 year old pitcher).

Amazing.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, is anyone else tired of Statcast? I really don't care how fast a ball goes when it's a homer, or it's hang time, or just how speedy a runner/fielder is when making a play. Worst "innovation" of 2015.