main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i only say Colorado becuase of what the altitude does to the pitching and all.

the D'backs....i don't know, they were relevant for about 4 years here.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Darth Tunes congrats on joining the "my team won on a balk off" club. Spiders did it last year.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Darth Tunes congrats on joining the "my team won on a balk off" club. Spiders did it last year.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    my brother told me about that. i told him i try not to watch since i have boycotted the dodgers this year.
    good news though: Padres managerial change has worked. Matt Kemp 2 home runs in 3 days. I can feel a big second half coming on.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Though I still thing there should be a * next to it, I find it amusing that A-Fraud is sitting at 666 on the HR list.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    half the people on the list have an invisible * next to them
    i always call him A-Fraud too. i hope he gets 3,000 on the road so people will boo.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Name me one team in the last 60 years that didn't have a player on it with pharmaceutical help. It's a shell game of hypocrisy. We're cool with greenies, but not with steroids. We're cool with doctoring balls, but not steroids. We're cool with LASIK, but not steroids.

David Ortiz apparently gets a pass for actually failing a test. Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell -- two of the clearest HoFers of the modern era -- apparently don't get a pass because they're suspicious. It's like the friggin' HUAC all over again.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    that is true about the greenies, and i am glad they are gone, but there was not a big change in the numbers. from the 1940s through the 1980s statistics were fairly consistent.
    i do not give Ortiz a pass. i mean he was suddenly hitting like Babe Ruth a decade ago.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Unless it happens again, no doubt the silliest win for the Bums this year. Silliness, of course, is what makes this sport so great. :D

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I also enjoyed the Intentional Balk the Spiders pulled off a few years ago.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i bet Grienke wishes that happend 3 innings earlier

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-Rod!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think it's really unfortunate that Rodriguez chose to use steroids, mostly because (like Bonds) he never needed them. This season is reminding me of 2000, when he dragged the Mariners through six games in the ALCS. That was basically his show. Then he left, which was a horrendous decision on his part. Somewhere along the line, he really lost his way. It wasn't always so, though. I remember far enough back to know.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Why did Hank Aaron use greenies? He obviously didn't need them...

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    David-- I think there's a major gap between those and the steroids Rodriguez used.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Why would you think that? Either it's illegal pharmaceutical help to improve performance or it's illegal pharmaceutical help to improve performance?

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Because steroids offer a ton more help than methamphetamines. You know this. There's no need to discuss it at great length.

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Then you can tell us exactly how many home runs Bonds hit because of steroids and how many Aaron hit because of greenies? Because I can't do that math.

Amazing.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not going down this road with either of you.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...st-reason-steep-drop-offense-article-1.182105

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2011/01/11/‘roids-and-greenies/ (Larry's a great writer on these things)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/a-former-player-opens-up-about-peds/

Really, it's a distinction without a difference. Greenies give you an advantage without doing anything and steroids give you more muscle mass and recovery time from workouts. So one gets you potentially better batting average with an addiction risk and one gets you potentially more power if you're working out and already hitting (though, to be fair, there is a potential reaction time benefit with steroids).

There are, I'm sure, plenty more links like the above.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Counting last night's loss, the Bums are now 2-7 against the (despicable) Giants thus far this season...

[​IMG]

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Nationals No Hitter!

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Did we just see the closest thing ever to back to back no-hitters? Almost back-to-back perfect games. Scherzer had a clean sheet in his last start but for the one hit, and today he kept the hits off the board, but hit a batter.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    We may not see back-to-back starts that dominant again this year.