main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd go with Dave Stieb losing back-to-back no-hitters with two outs in the 9th.

Amazing.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    What did everyone thing about the hit by pitch? Looked like a pretty ordinary hit by pitch to me but I've seen a lot of people saying he leaned in, it was dirty, etc..... I don't think he made much of an effort to get out of the way, but some people are acting like he leaned out over the plate, and I just don't see it as being anything really out of the ordinary other than it prevented a perfect game.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He definitely leaned in and made no attempt to get out of the way of the ball.

5. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, he definitely leaned into it. Which I think is a garbage play in general, but I'm not extra outraged that he did it in a perfect game.

I also don't object to bunting during a no-hitter, stealing bases with a big lead, or other various and sundry unwritten rules.

Amazing.

cubman987 likes this.
  6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think everyone acknowledging that he leaned into it is better than saying otherwise. I certainly see B's point of view, and it makes sense. On the other hand, one comment I saw elsewhere is among the better points I've seen-- would he have done that without the body armor? It's easier to lean into a pitch if you aren't particularly concerned about sustaining injury in the process.

Also, B-- were Stieb's games particularly dominant? I guess every no-hitter is in some way or another, but I've not read much about Stieb's near-misses being something along the lines of Scherzer's previous start, which was overwhelmingly dominant, regardless of the one hit he gave up.

7. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Stieb's games happened in 89ish, and without looking them up, I'm going to say they weren't nearly as dominant, mostly due to it being a much different era. And I don't think either was a near perfect game. But I've always felt Stieb's games were the answer to whether we'd ever again see someone throw back-to-back no-hitters. But I won't argue that Scherzer might have just completed the most dominant 18 inning stretch ever.

Amazing.

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i remember that. funny thing was by then Stieb was not throwing as hard as earlier in his career. It's weird sometimes, right around the same time Fernando Valenzuela threw a no hitter and that was when his career was just about done in the majors. Same thing for Doc Gooden

D'backs sure look dumb now. It's going down almost as bad as the Pedro Martinez trade. And Max looked dominant when he first came up with them

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
  10. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't know how much autonomy he has, but Dave Stewart seems to be in way over his head.

Amazing.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It seems like he has a lot, and I agree that he is. We're used to it here.

Of course, he didn't trade Scherzer. That happened a long time ago.

12. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i can't even remember which regime that was. the clown who wanted 'organizational advocacy"? Josh Byrnes.
    of course somehow he's made his way to L.A. now.
    they havn't had a GM that's fixed them since Garagiola left.

KnightWriter likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Lovely to see the Bums (especially Adrian Gonzalez) break out of their offense slump (for now) against (the despicable) the Giants, especially since they 1) avoided the sweep; 2) won a game that I was able to watch on television (they're now 4-1 in such games this season); 3) gives me & my dad some positive Dodger stuff to talk about on this Father's Day. Still have to do better on the road, which they'll have ample chances to do so in their upcoming 10-game trip (Cubs, Marlins & D'backs).

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    A rather eventful Monday thus far, going from the utterly tragic to the circus side of things.

http://deadspin.com/former-ballplayer-darryl-hamilton-found-dead-in-apparen-1713087146]Darryl[/url] Hamilton found dead in a murder-suicide

It's rather difficult to process such information... so used to seeing him on the MLB Network (I really don't remember him much from his playing days), and now gone so suddenly, so tragically.

[​IMG]

Holy hell, I mean, there's almost no words here... such a tough road ahead for those kids.

The circus: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13114874/notebook-obtained-lines-shows-pete-rose-bet-baseball-player-1986]Information[/url] has surfaced that Pete Rose, despite past claims, bet on baseball while still an active player (in 1986).

To say I was surprised to learn of this would be a lie.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    sad on both counts.
    i never thought it was a question that he bet while still playing, though he still denies that too.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, the Bums offense struggles (despite how well they did on Sunday) have continued thus far in their series at Wrigley: a total of 2-runs, both of which were scored on Monday. Yesterday's game was a nice, tense one... until the Bums lost, course. And then there was this:

[​IMG]

His 15-seconds of fame ought to be done rather soon. :p

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Darth Tunes likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    he's the first pitcher number they've retired?

that might have something to do with why the long World Series title drought happened

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Darth Tunes likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Man, not even the Yankees. Wasn't '99 the year he came out of the pen in the playoffs and ripped the heart out of DarthIntegral while systematically crushing the Cleveland Indian's souls?

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
  22. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    Fun Fact:
    the most rediculous, maddening comment ever made by a baseball announcer relate's to Pedro.
    Delino Deshields, playing for St. Louis, against the Dodgers in 1997.
    "Let's see if Deshield's can get revenge on his former mates."

REVENGE?! for what, for playing three years badly with a scowl on his face after being traded for PEDRO MARTINEZ [face_frustrated]

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If it wasn't for the Piazza trade in '98, trading away Martinez in '93 would be the most disastrous front office move for the Bums in the 90's... at least from my perspective. :p

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least you got Martinez back for a couple of years later on.

25. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    who did? he never went back to L.A.
    as for Piazza i felt he forced their hand. turned down $83 million. ended up with $91 million in new york. i'll always consider him a wayward dodger. i heard for years on espn that 'he's mad they kept him in the minors so long ' whatever. they gave him a 3 year contract after his rookie year.