main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Puig certainly is a question mark offensively these days, and even with their struggles, I'm more worried about the Dodgers pitching (ie: Kershaw) moving forward in the short term (ie: the playoffs).

[​IMG]

With his scoreless innings streak now at 42 2/3 innings, he's nearing Hershiser's record (at 59 innings, of course). I mean, it could happen? The Dodgers are meant to have that record, right? :p

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    this just in Bryce Harper is not that impressed with Zack Grienke. :rolleyes:

if anyone ever breaks Hershiser's streak they still won't throw as many complete games.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm bummed about Greinke's streak, because he eclipsed Brandon Webb's 42 inning streak in 2007. Webb's streak survived as the longest since Hershiser's after Clayton Kershaw's was broken just before he got to Webb's mark. Couldn't live past this one, though.

I gather that Greinke hasn't been pitching complete games, though? Webb threw three consecutive shutouts as part of his streak.

4. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    it doesn't diminish what Webb did. Now it will be interesting how far he can push it. Webb threw 3 CG's in 2008, Grienke has thrown 1 this year and Hershiser of course threw.....15 in 1988.

of course what will always be forgotten is he then went on to throw 8 more innings vs. the Mets in game 1 of the championship series (the best offensive team in the league) before giving up 1 in the 9th

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Not during the streak has Greinke pitched a CG, and though I suppose one can make an argument knocking the streak a bit because of that, I'm not going to care much.

6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    sentimentally i don't think i'd want it broken. plus he's not a career Dodger, and he might even leave after this season.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How long was Mo's scoreless inning streak in the postseason, like 54 innings? Pitched 1-2 IP at a time?

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Hershiser wasn't a career Dodger, though. And of course there's the chance Greinke leaves after this season, but I'd hope that he & the Bums aren't foolish enough to part ways (though should that happen, I won't be surprised). If Greinke breaks the record, and the Bums go on to at least win the pennant this year, then I won't mind one bit; should he do so without such a postseason triumph, then I'd feel a little less happy about it.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It was 33 consecutive innings. He had the blown save against the Indians in 1997, and you know what happened in 2001. I think that got in the way.

10. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    well he was a career dodger till they let him go, came up with them.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I think the Brewers just swept the Pirates. Good stuff, before we trade it all away.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

What I love about this particular no-hitter:

-What a way for Hamels to end his Philly career. I mean, he is going to get traded by/before the the 31st, right?

-The highlight in this mess of a season for the Phillies?

-It's the 1st time the Cubs have been no-hit since...

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    only one Sandy....and only one Vin.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Allow me to fix multiple issues in one fell swoop:

1. Last game before the All Star break is moved to a Thursday
    2. Friday is a universal day off
    3. Saturday afternoon is the Hall of Fame induction
    4. Saturday night is the Future's Game at Doubleday Field
    5. Sunday night is the Home Run Derby
    6. Monday night is the All Star Game
    7. Tuesday night is the AAA All Star Game
    8. Wednesday night is the AA All Star Game
    9. Thursday is back to business

Results: Celebrates baseball's past, present, and future. The Hall of Fame induction no longer takes place while the rest of the league is playing. Pitchers no longer have to bow out of the All Star game because they pitched two days before. Everyone gets plenty of time off. Dear MLB, call me!

Amazing.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I love how My Yankees are Playing Hopefully they can keep it up this Fine Sunday Afternoon ......

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A-Rod laughs at puny humans...

18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i've got on the Hall of Fame and what am i watching? harold reynolds and kevin millar yap

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    And I laugh back at A-Rod going from first to home.

20. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i think Pedro's speech is about to be a little different than Johnson's.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got all of that on my DVR; will get to it sometime during my days off this upcoming week. I've heard that Pedro's speech is really something special.

It's one thing for Greinke's scoreless innings streak to end (though via a deGrom fielder's choice? Really? :p ), and for ex-Dodger Uribe to hit a walk off there for the Mets, but with the Bums loss today & a win by Satan's Giants...

[​IMG].

That 1st place lead is all the way down to a mere game...

[​IMG]

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The Cubs game tonight very nearly killed me....go down 4-0, come back and take the lead, blow a 3 run lead in the 9th to go down by 1, and then a game winning 2 run homer by Kris Bryant. On a related note, I hope the Cubs get a closer before the deadline.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Tulo to Toronto, Reyes to Colorado.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There's always the issue with Tulo's health, but nonetheless I like this move very much for Toronto.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyum