main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Can we talk about the Red Sox for a moment? Because what's happening there is bizarre in a way that not even my schadenfreude would wish upon the Red Sox.

First, their President and CEO, Larry Lucchino, announces he is stepping down -- which is fine, he's getting older and he's accomplished enough that he's got a lifetime free pass. Sam Kennedy, who was brought on specifically as a part of succession planning within the organization, would be replacing him by the end of the year according to the owners (he is currently COO / EVP).

Then, the manager discovers Stage 1 Lymphoma and steps aside (at least temporarily) which is the worst. As I've said, I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy, or their manager.

Then the Sox hired former-Angels GM Jerry Dipoto as consultant, to evaluate the farm system and assist the GM in offseason-planning.

And then completely FUBAR'd the whole thing by hiring Dave Dombrowski as President of Baseball Operations -- a position theoretically not listed, unless it's Lucchino's former President position. Ben Cherington resigned when this happened, so the DiPoto thing is... moot? No mention of Kennedy at all in this, so is he gone too?

I mean...

[​IMG]

2. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I believe it's different than Lucchino's position. Lucchino has been President of the Red Sox as a whole, while this position for Dombrowski is strictly for Baseball Ops. All the reports on NESN are that Dombrowski was installed as President of Baseball Ops right now so that he can evaluate the roster as well as the farm system before the season ends, so that he's well prepared to make changes right away when the off season comes around. DiPoto could still be hired as GM, if the team is now going with that kind of hierarchy, with Dombrowski overseeing baseball ops as a whole, while DiPoto GM's and runs the day to day stuff (similar to how Theo is baseball ops president for the Cubs, with Hoyer as his GM).
    Anyway, I love the Dombrowski hire. He's been one of the best execs in the league for a long time now. Built the '97 Marlins World Series team, and took the Tigers from laughingstock to legit contender, and players really seem to like and respect him. We desperately need strong leadership in the front office with how these last two seasons have gone, and Dave brings it. Now all we need is a pitching staff and to get rid of those bums Ramirez and Sandoval lol.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think the Dombrowski thing is more akin to Joe Maddon this past offseason than anything else. His availability wasn't at all expected, but it happened and they jumped on it.

Amazing.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

To go with their woeful bullpen of late, the Bums have had a less-than-stellar offense, so a result such as that isn't too surprising; though Satan's Giants won last night, cutting the Bums division lead to a mere 1 1/2 games, the calendar does read August 21st, not Septemeber 21st.

[​IMG]

Wake up, Tommy! There's time to improve!

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Congrats to Fiers, nice trade Brewers.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    meanwhile in san diego Matt Kemp hit another home run and has 72 RBI's.

7. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    David Wright just jacked an upper deck shot in his first at bat since April. What a player!

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Somewhere, AmazingB is crying into his Schaefer Beer...

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I've been afraid to say anything because I don't know what will happen if people start to notice, but, um, the Mets are kind of good!

Amazing.

KnightWriter, dp4m and DarthTunick like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The Mets team record for home runs in a month was 40 in June 2006. They're up to 43 this month with 4 games to go. This doesn't feel like real life.

Amazing.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's been fantastic that this Mets/Phillies game has gone 13 innings, because more time to get an SNY fix is always a good thing; thank goodness the MLB Network didn't go with the Phillies feed for this.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Obviously this sentiment is true for the baseball community at-large, but we're ever so spoiled here in La La Land to have had him broadcasting for the Bums for as long as he has; there's no real preparation for how it's going to be in following the Bums post-Scully.

Of course, by next April, I'd hope the SNLA dispute is over, so that any & all Bums fans here in L.A. can enjoy all the Scully they can get. If not, a person such as myself will have to fork over $$$ to add a Time Warner Cable box to the home. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh man that should be a lot of bittersweet fun for Dodgers fans (heck baseball fans in general) celebrating his wonderful career next season. The Cubs TV guys interviewed him in the pregame show tonight and they were absolutely geeking out about it.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    it is too bad there is a whole generation that has never heard Vin call a world series game
    or see the dodgers in one for that matter.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    No ****. :p I mean, technically I was alive for their magical run in '88, but I was 2 years old... my earliest memories in life are circa '90-'91.

18. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i think they used up all the magic in 88

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Here is a crazy thing I saw on Twitter:

Vin Scully has seen these people in his career as a broadcaster
    Cubs SS Addison Russell: Born 1994
    A's Manager Connie Mack: Born...1862

20. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yes that's true.
    sad that everyone think's Vin is the best and yet instead of one guy in the booth telling a story all the others are crammed with 3 guys babbling.
    i swear if i had to turn on another fox broadcast and hear steve lyons say 'this guys sitting dead red' i'd hang myself

KnightWriter likes this.
  21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    No hitter for Jake Arrieta!!!!!! Knew he would get one soon, has come close a few times the past couple of years....amazing season so far for our ace.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wow. I caught an inning or so on ESPN Radio, that kid has really turned into something special this year. The Cubs are gearing up for some great years, it looks like.

cubman987 likes this.
  23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Dodgers no hit for the second time in 10 days

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Next month is nineteen years since one of the most remarkable three day runs in baseball history-- Paul Molitor got his 3,000th hit on a triple (while in the midst of a 200 hit season) on September 16th, Hideo Nomo threw a no-hitter at Coors Field on September 17th (before the humidor and in the days of the Blake Street Bombers), and Roger Clemens struck out 20 on September 18th (without a walk, as has been the case for every nine inning 20 strikeout game).

Can't believe it's been that long.

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That Nomo no-no is high on the list of my favorite Dodgers moments/memories from the 90's.

I'm not so sure about this Arrieta no-no for the eventual 2010's list.
    :p