main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's more than that though, it's a no-brainer from a baseball team standpoint: if you had the chance to both increase your offense for "free" (in most cases) and protect your most valuable assets from risking additional injury by batting or running... what would be the rationale in not taking that deal if it was offered to you?

The additional jobs thing is just a bonus to sell the MLBPA.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    let's see the drawback in increasing offense?

burning through your starters faster.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Only if Dusty Baker is your manager.

The AL has had the DH and pitcher in that league haven't been burnt out. I think the length of the game will increase for sure in the NL.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It doesn't affect the top-AL pitchers, so the top-NL pitchers can adjust. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Mets are resigning Cespedes, 3 years $75 million. I approve.

Amazing.

6. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Way to go Mets. Good Signing. I think the Mets are back and are here to stay for a while, folks.

And this is coming from a San Fran fan. Good on you, NYM!

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Being an A's fan, I remember when they traded Cespedes away for Jon Lester and the A's offense suffered in his absence.

I think it's a great signing by the Mets. It was just awesome watching Cespedes throw out guys from left field.

10. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Here's hoping the Giants recreate the even number magic they got going on. *puts on SF cap* [face_mischief]

Do I think it likely? Not particularly, but a man can hope!

Coruscant likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There won't be a more annoying story line from this '16 season than that.

JEDI-RISING and cubman987 like this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    If the Cubs are as good as they are supposed to be we will be subject to talk of the curse all year...that will be more annoying for me anyways.

13. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Mets are retiring Piazza's number in July shortly after the HoF inductions. Maybe you just sit this summer out.

Amazing.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Given his uni number, I'm surprised that they're not having the retirement ceremony on the 31st.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  15. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Why not? With Cueto and Samardzija joining the rotation they've easily got the best staff in the West. And it'll be nice having some speed back at the top of the lineup with Denard Span (not the mention a better outfield defensively), and hopefully Pence has a nice bounceback year coming back from his injury. I'd say things look pretty good for them to continue the even year bull ****. And Elu, I had no idea you were a Giants fan. *high five*

Coruscant and Darth_Elu like this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow that was incredible. God I love JoPo. I was gutted when he left the Kansas City Star, but I will still read anything he writes. Truly one of the best sports writers. What a fascinating story.

I mean, I can't disagree with that. I can say I was nervous as hell playing WS games in SF and NY these last two years because the idea of Ned Yost making decisions instead of just sitting back and letting things happen... And I certainly got to see what you mean about Collins.

However, I kind of don't like changing the differing character of the two leagues overall.

So, the Royals before this off-season had never given a player a contract worth more than $55 million... And this year they gave out contracts of $72 and $70 million to Alex Gordon and Ian Kennedy. I don't recognize this team anymore. It's like they actually understand going all in. I mean, we're in for some heartbreaking stuff in two years when almost everyone's contract is up, but I'll be damned if it won't be fun until then.

Also, my parents got opening day tickets to see the Royals get their rings, see the flag raised, and have a re-match with the Mets.

I hate my parents.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Myspace Tom Is Willing to Write the Check for Giants to Re-Sign Tim Lincecum

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love the sentiment; there is almost no way it's legal under baseball ownership terms most likely, but I love the sentiment.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Imagine if it were legal. You'd have all these "boosters" and go-fund-me/kick starters campaigns for fans to pay to keep a player.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    JEDI-RISING likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Almost there...

22. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Indeed, Reynar. Things are looking good, but the entire lineup just needs to stay healthy. A little worried that Panik is already coming off some issues with back pain at this point in his career, but lets hope it was a fluke.

But yes, am a Giants fan. No bandwagon jumper either, was born and raised a SF fan. ;) I'm a little more surprised that you're a Giants fan! :p

*high fives though all the same*

Reynar_Tedros and Coruscant like this.
  23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    And Jenry Mejia earns himself a lifetime ban with this 3rd positive steroid test. Good of him to get this one out of the way before Spring Training started.

Amazing.

TX-20 and dp4m like this.
  24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Brewers with 7th trade of the offseason. Things sure are a changing.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    MLB, MLBPA announce rule changes involving takeout slides, pace of play