main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I wonder how long the Marlins can keep up, especially if Stanton's offensive struggles persist.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    a couple of things on my Yankees, If I am The Yankees I am not trading Miller or Chapman unless I am getting a Lights Out Top of the rotation #1 Starting Pitcher back in a trade. As a matter of fact Miller Is not on the table only Chapman and the same return for Chapman #1 Lights out Top of the rotation Starter in return for Chapman. And why did the Yankees not sign Tim Lincecum ? he could sure help out our rotation. If I am the Yankees I would try to get better to compete this year may be a bat and a bullpen arm especially if we are 3 or 4 games out of a wild card spot. I will take a Wild Card and so would a lot of other teams fans! weren't the Royals a wild card team last year? and even if they weren't tons of wild card teams have won the WS once you get in to the post season it is a crapshoot anyone can win it comes down to who gets hot at the right time and that goes for the NFL as well I saw my Giants do it twice on the back of Eli Manning and defenses that got hot at the right time ...

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    No one is trading a #1 starting pitcher for either of those guys, especially for Chapman who would basically be a 3 month rental. The Yankees should expect and want promising young prospects for either or both of those guys and should absolutely trade them and look to the future. Having a couple of good bullpen guys, especially one who is only signed through the end of the season, doesn't do you much good when you are 4th place in your division and looking to rebuild.

4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

then I wouldn't make a trade. plus Miller is under contract for two more years from a Yankees standpoint trading Miller would be stupid.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm curious as to why though? Why would you not trade Chapman when it's unlikely he will be with the team next season anyways? Miller at least I think the Yankees can get a pretty good deal for but why would the Yankees want to keep a 31 year old bullpen guy when they are struggling to play .500 ball and are behind 6 other teams for the 2nd Wild Card spot?

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    because unless I am getting back say the Cubs best prospects I am not interested, We are only 4 games out of the wild card and not even to the All Star Break, If closer to the trading deadline we are realistically out of it for the wild card may be our teams can talk about a trade for Chapman but not Miller. he is untouchable unless for Chapman and Miller you want to give a few #1's ? I have been watching the Yankees since the early 90's and in all that time we have never been sellers, in bad years we just stand pat at the deadline. look for more of the same. it is not the Yankees Style.

say at the trading deadline we are in the same place 3 or 4 games out of the WC may be we keep Chapman and Miller and trade for a bat and some bullpen help and make a run at the WC ?

we still play our divisional teams a ton each team plays there divisional rivals 19 times out of the year, I think a lot of people forget that.

7. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Ha well I don't think the Yankees can trade to get better if they don't trade the only 2 guys anyone really wants. But to be clear, I wasn't suggesting they should make a move now, I just meant if they find themselves still behind 6 teams for a WC spot after the All-Star Break they should absolutely want to move those two guys.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I keep reading this and that about Clayton Kershaw, and part of me can't believe it. The man has repeatedly failed in the playoffs-- don't those struggles count for something?

Am I just falling prey to confirmation bias, ignoring some great postseason pitching performances? Randy Johnson struggled at times in the postseason, but 1995 and 2001 give him near-immunity.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    He's had some good-to-very good ones (game 4 of the '15 NLDS, and his LDS in '13 against Atlanta come to mind), but given his regular season excellence from 2011 onward, the postseason struggles are a fair knock on Kershaw; that's all that's left for Kershaw to prove now: do better in the postseason, and hope the rest of the team can follow suit, because it would be rather disappointing if Kershaw doesn't have at least 1 N.L. pennant/World Series appearance in his tenure here in La La Land.

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    a couple years ago they were including his stats from way back in 2008 vs. the Phillies which is unfair he was 20. 2014 really killed him for me though, blowing a big lead and a small lead vs. the cardinals. they owned him for some reason, even in the regular season though

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    As long as Liriano doesn't fall apart looks like the Bucs will help your Dodgers out again Tunick.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I don't care how many teams we have to leap frog I just care how many games out of the wild card spot I think it is 4 games? that is not insurmountable!

well The Red Sox Just Lost to the White Sox tonight so now we are 3 games back of the Wild Card spot, the second wild card spot! :D next we have a much needed off day tomorrow and then 3 with the Twinkies over the weekend! big series and I think we have the Orioles and the Red Sox coming up we have to take it one game at a time but we have to take care of business or our season is over.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Corey Seager is the Dodgers Chipper Jones

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Toronto lost tonight The Yankees won tonight, the Yanks are 2 and a half games out of the second wild card!!!

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Pineda Pitching Ok Through 4 innings and we are losing 1-0 ... Tex back from the DL and we cut Ike Davis and Refsnyder Is still up with the big Club!:D

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I'd hold off on the playoff countdown until like, September.

Chromide likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Went to the White Sox game today. They managed to hit seven homers, and lose.

First time of attended game with back-to-back-to-back homeruns, and I think the first inside the park homer I've seen in person.

19. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I should have picked up Lawrie like I was thinking.....

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The Pirates continue to baffle me. One day they look like crap then the next Jeff Locke throws a quality start. Two in a row against the Dodgers is good I guess. Plus Cutch looks like his hand might be getting better with his two dingers today.

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    This Cubs - Reds game one of the stranger games I've ever seen, 3 relief pitchers played Left for the Cubs with 2 of them switching between Left and the mound in the 14th....and it worked as the Cubs scored 5 in the 15th to win.

22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Davey Johnson did that with Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell in 1986 for five innings.. And it worked because in 1986 everything worked.

Amazing.

cubman987 likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I was really hoping Brock Stewart had a good start for your team the other day, went to the same high school and college as me.

25. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Go Giants! All I'm saying…bad skid last few games, but much better tonight. Thank god we actually took one game away from the series against the A's. lol