main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Schwarber worked his butt off trying to improve at catching and learning to play the outfield last season, that combined with him losing a lot of weight have made the Cubs feel more confident he can be a NL player. He'd be an absolute beast as a DH though.

2. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah I don't see Schwarber getting dealt as he's part of the young core for the Cubs.

Not sure how I feel about the Pomeranz pickup for the Sox. He's scheduled to start Wednesday so I guess we'll see. My pipe dream would be to go get Teheran and Freeman from the Braves since they have been completely stripping that team down for over a year now. I'm sure the cost in prospects would be way too high but I would love to see that deal go down so much.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

he would be worth either Miller or Chapman plus your best starting pitcher prospect?

If Cashman asked for that and the Cubs said no I would say then no deal. and then I would get another deal with another team going , possibly Texas for there big time DH prospect and a starting pitcher stud If I got some traction and the Cubs came back and said we will do the deal I would then say to the Cubs we will do the deal but, the big three are not on the table, you can have Eovaldi, or Pineda and no matter weather the cubs take the deal the Texas deal would happen first;)

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    If the Yankees get him it will be for Miller AND Chapman....and personally I wouldn't make that trade because he has that much upside. The Cubs don't really have much in pitching prospects that I know of but are loaded with position players.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

not getting both, deals off, click...
    "If Cashman asked for that and the Cubs said no I would say then no deal. and then I would get another deal with another team going , possibly Texas for there big time DH prospect and a starting pitcher stud If I got some traction and the Cubs came back and said we will do the deal I would then say to the Cubs we will do the deal but, the big three are not on the table, you can have Eovaldi, or Pineda and no matter weather the cubs take the deal the Texas deal would happen first";)

see the thing teams have to realize is you really want our guys but we don't have to trade them, the pressure is on the cubs not the Yankees to convince the Yankees to trade one of there chips to put you over the top and make you definite favorites to win the ring, 1908, 1908, 1908, the clock is ticking...

and lets not forget if we don't trade anyone, 1. in the off season we could re sign Chapman to a big deal, not like this off season has a great crop of free agents so re signing Chapman could be a good move for us, and 2. at the end of this season Tex is a free agent and at the end of next year A-Rod is coming off the books as well, 3. in 2018 there is a great Free Agent class the Yankees can go shopping! :cool: Bryce Harper will be a Yankee the Nationals don't have the cash for Bryce and Strassburg. and Bryce and his dad are huge Yankees and Mickey Mantle fans the lure of the pinstripes will get Bryce!

also CC Is a free agent after either this season or next so he is coming off the books as well lots of money with Tex, A-Rod, and CC coming off the books so the Yankees can open up there purse strings in 2018 !!!

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    New York Yankees Retweeted
    [​IMG]Yankees On Demand@YankeesonDemand 3h3 hours ago
    17 years ago today, @dcone36 pitched a perfect game. The 1999 team relives that epic moment: http://bit.ly/1MTG5P0 pic.twitter.com/4Vm4XjzFLX
    [​IMG]
    189 retweets 413 likes
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    On this day in 1999 I went to Baltimore with my parents to see the Mets play the Orioles, my mom is a Mets fan:( sometime after 1 PM We went into this bar and grill called the Warf Rat, it was a great place to get a drink and a bite to eat before or after the game it was on Pratt Street, I believe it is now called Pratt Street Ale House. the last time I ate there was when I saw Star Wars In Concert at First Mariner Arena, before the Concert me and my dad ate there! but on that day when I went to see the Mets In Baltimore when I walked in to the Warf Rat there was tons of Yankees and Mets fans huddled around the big screen TV In the bar watching David Cone pitch a perfect game. the buzz in Camden Yards that night was electric, everybody was talking about Cones perfect game!:)

7. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    The Cubs front office doesn't care about 1908 they care about 2017, 2018, 2019, etc so they aren't selling the farm for relief pitching.

Chromide likes this.
  8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I know!!! I want to see the box scores. Like, did one Bartolo end up throwing the last 40 innings? Or did all 25 Bartolos throw 2-3 innings? I have to know.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

we are not just talking about any relievers, we are talking about the best Closers / Relief Pitchers on the trading block/Available right now may be in the game right now! you know any other Closers that can throw 107 MPH he is the first and only guy to do it, meaning Chapman!

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Ok, so I finally read the article about the League of Bartolo Colons…I just. I can't even.

Just: :_|[face_laugh]

It is truly glorious!

12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Trade Deadline Notes: Marlins, Indians, Nationals, Cubs

July 19, 2016by Mike Axisa 19 Comments
    [​IMG](Al Bello/Getty)
    We are now 13 days away from the trade deadline, and while the Yankees have won two straight, their odds of playing in October are long. Buster Olney says they are going “full bore” in shaping possible trades, though ownership still needs to give the thumbs up. I wish they’d go ahead and sell now before someone gets hurt or other teams decide to drop out of the race and sell. There’s a lot of demand and not much supply right now. That works in New York’s favor. Alas. They’re still not ready to move players. Anyway, here’s the latest from the rumor mill.
    Pineda among Marlins’ targets

The Marlins are working to add a starter before the trade deadline and Michael Pineda is on their list of targets, reports Jon Morosi. Miami and the Yankees discussed Aroldis Chapman a few weeks back, so the two teams have been in contact. It’s unclear if the Yankees and Marlins have actually talked about a Pineda deal, or if the Marlins simply admire him from afar.
    Morosi says the Marlins are interested in Jeremy Hellickson and Andrew Cashner in addition to Pineda. All three of those guys kinda suck, but Hellickson and Cashner are rentals while Pineda has an extra year of control. That figures to play a role in Miami’s decision making. As I’ve said though, the Marlins don’t have many prospects to offer. Their system isn’t very good. That’s why the Yankees wanted big league players for Chapman.
    Indians prefer Miller to Chapman

The Indians are in the hunt for a shutdown left-handed reliever, and Ken Rosenthal says Andrew Miller is “probably” their top target. Rosenthal says they prefer Miller to Chapman, presumably because he’s willing to be a setup man and has two extra years of team control. Jerry Crasnick says the feeling within the game is the Indians are more inclined to make a blockbuster trade than they normally would because they’re in first place and the club is already so well-rounded.
    Not coincidentally, Keith Law says the Yankees had two scouts on hand to see left-hander and top Indians pitching prospect Justus Sheffield this afternoon. Other top prospects on the loaded High-A Lynchburg roster include first baseman Bobby Bradley, catcher Francisco Mejia, and shortstop Yu-Cheng Chang. Those guys are all far away from MLB and I imagine the Yankees want talent closer to the show for Miller, so perhaps these guys are being looked at as second and third pieces in a deal. Cleveland had seven (!) players on Baseball America’s midseason top 100 prospects list. Here is MLB.com’s top 30 Indians prospects list with free scouting reports and all that.
    [​IMG](Hannah Foslien/Getty)
    Chapman is Nats’ most likely target

According to Rosenthal, Chapman is the Nationals’ most likely target at the deadline. That makes sense. Dusty Baker had Chapman in Cincinnati and the Nats tried to get him from the Reds over the winter — even after the domestic violence incident — but the Yankees beat them to it. How would Chapman and Jonathan Papelbon co-exist? That ain’t my problem. That’s up to Washington to figure out.
    Interestingly, Rosenthal says top pitching prospect Lucas Giolito is not as untouchable as he once was. I still highly doubt the Nationals would give him up for a reliever, even one as good as Chapman or Miller. Any trade sending Giolito to the Yankees — and let’s be clear, that is an extreme long shot — would have to be a blockbuster with high-end talent going to Washington. Maybe something like Chapman, Masahiro Tanaka, and Brett Gardner for Giolito and stuff. I dunno, I’m just spitballing here. My trade proposal sucks.
    Cubs haven’t made best offer for Miller or Chapman

To date, the Cubs have not made the best trade offer for Miller or Chapman, reports Jon Heyman. To be perfectly honest, I read this report and assumed it was a leak from the Yankees intended to get Chicago to up their offer. The Cubbies have been scouting Miller and Chapman for weeks — they’re said to prefer Miller to Chapman like pretty much everyone else (except the Nats, I guess) — and there’s a definite need for a shutout lefty reliever in their bullpen.
    Jeff Passan says the Yankees covet the injured Kyle Schwarber — “Cash thinks he can hit 50 home runs there,” said one of Passan’s sources — but the Cubs are not budging. They won’t deal him for a reliever, not even Miller. The Cubs have lots of prospects to offer though, so being unable to get Schwarber shouldn’t end trade talks. Assuming Heyman’s report is a leak from the Yankees, I see nothing wrong with trying to squeeze a little more out of Chicago. The Yankees control the bullpen market right now.

13. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Cubs upgrade of the bullpen begins. Also sounds like some baseball folk think Montgomery could be a starter down the road. Like this deal for the Cubs.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Yankees are a win away from being 4 and a half out of first if we win Tomorrow! might have to rethink being sellers! I don't have a schedule in front of me but we probably still play the Orioles a ton of times? 4 and a half games Is not insurmountable...

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well because we beat the O's and Boston won the O's and Boston flip-flopped and we only gained a half game on the first place team which is now Boston who is now 6 games on top of us but the O's are in second place in the east and are the first wild card spot and are 5 and a half up on us, if we beat the O's we are 4 and a half back of the O's !!!

@dp4m
    pertaining to your Avatar picture, I am assuming you are a Boston fan? how about 86 years of choking, doesn't that kind of make one post season of choking in 2004 kind of meaningless?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'll let KnightWriter field this one...

Chromide likes this.
  17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    The Sox have won 3 World Series so far this century. That's more than just ''one post season of not choking.''

Chromide likes this.
  18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    dp4m lost a bet with me, so he's using that icon for a week. As for "meaningless," it's brought up each time a team falls behind 3-0 in a playoff series, and the Red Sox won two more titles after that, having changed the fundamental nature of their team. So no, I think it was very meaningful.

19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013

[​IMG]

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

But The Yankees were the best team in baseball for the better part of the 20th Century really I only saw them choke twice, 2001 WS and 2004 ALCS the Sox chocked for 86 years take your pick on chokes, Bucky Dent, Buckner, Aaron Boone the list goes on... I still remember kids wearing Baseballs stitched under there gloves!!!! Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[face_laugh]

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That dog don't bite anymore.

22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013

I can do the same for pretty much every team that's been around a while, including yours:

Remember when the Yanks were up 2-0 against the Mariners and only had to win one more game and then blew the series?
    Remember when Luis Gonzalez won the World Series by getting the game winning hit off of the immortal Mariano Rivera?
    Remember when the Yanks got their ***** handed to them by the Florida Marlins despite having a vastly superior team and payroll?
    Remember when they were up 3-0 on the Sox and only had to win one more game....

See what I mean?

Chromide likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is why I take the compromise position ...

Hate both the Sox and the Yanks.

Point Given likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

with 27 Rings I think you might find that hard? not to mention the Division Titles If you count all the years we went to the Playoffs and made the series but lost the Yankees and everybody else but back in the day the three cursed teams were the Cubs, White Sox and The Red Sox, the Red and the White remedied that but you cant really compare a Team Like the Yankees and the Three I mentioned ...

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    How many in this century, Leoluca Randisi? The 20th century ended some time ago.

Chromide likes this.