main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I still find it so bizzare that MLB continues to put it's HOF induction ceremony in the middle of a Sunday in which games are played (both the Mariners & Mets each play EST day games today, as an example). Sure, the speeches are often pablum, but the inductees/the fans of their franchise(s) deserve to have the sole baseball spotlight for the day; having it on the Wednesday or Thursday of the All Star week would be a much better option.

cubman987 likes this.
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    They were talking about this during last night's Met game. The problem with mid-week is it would cut down on the number of fans who could attend. They should definitely roll it into All Star Weekend somehow. End the first half on a Friday, HoF on Saturday, have the futures game at the HoF park after the ceremony, home run Derby Sunday, game Monday and then start up on Wednesday. Not ideal, but it's never made any sense that current players, announcers, umpires, can't go. Gary Cohen's suggestion was to start the 2nd half the Thursday after the All Star Game, everyone plays a three game series ending Saturday, and then the Sunday is a baseball holiday for the HoF. Also a good idea.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Anyone still own their Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck Card # 1 rookie card. I still do. Only card I kept. Ione of my all time favs.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    hmm, i don't know. i know i have some of his rookie cards. i don't think i have the upper deck card. my brother might

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I hate the White Sox throwback uniforms I would probably do the same, I am a big Uniform guy I get into styles and tradition and class. that Is why in baseball I love the Yankees uniforms which have changed little over the years! and in Football my Giants have the same uniforms they had in the 1950s they wore Gray pants and had the NY on the helmet in the 50's the NY was changed to Giants in Script I believe in the 70's when they moved into Giants Stadium. it wasn't until the 60's that the Giants changed to white pants. I care more about style in MLB Uniforms and If I was a player being drafted I would make it known to all teams that might be considering drafting me that I wont sign with a team with ugly uniforms, right now the ugliest uniform in baseball is the D-Backs, and the Padres ARMY print uniforms are IMO Ugly, and my Sister joined and proudly served in the ARMY after 9/11 so I support the troops if not always the wars they wage;) Lastly the Rays, couldn't they just call themselves the Devil Rays or Sting Rays, and I prefer there Old Hunter Green Uniforms, how many teams in MLB where Green?
    [​IMG]

@AmazingB
    I think the site I got his WAR on was adding in his minor league numbers, I know not fair but you cant compare a Guy that just got called to the show, to a Veteran Closer that can Dial it up to 97 MPH and on most nights 93 MPH consistently, that my friend Is a game changer, I will be sad to see him go if indeed he is traded:( I wanted the Yankees to sign Chapman all those years ago when he was a free agent and came to America, The Yankees hardly ever get the International Imports anymore:(

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I don't even know how to respond to this

7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

you mean about the uniforms? Bottom Line Is I like Classic Uniforms!

on another note My Yankees are about to close out a Series win against The Giants, We just took 3 of 4 from the Orioles and right before the break we swept Cleveland!:cool:

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm just glad a few teams havn't had ugly uniforms and multiple uniforms to have to go back and reference.

9. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I can, I have, I will, and I did.

Amazing.

KnightWriter likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I don't mean that you cant compare I mean we, the collective we as , in general!

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I know I was steadfast on not trading anyone but now that they traded Chapman Why not trade Miller and Beltran and everyone else, We have this stud SS prospect Mateo and one other really good SS Prospect, We could package Mateo and our other prospects plus Miller and get something better then what we got for Chapman, I do think the Yankees got ripped off in this deal though. :( Word In New York is that the Yankees are going to Buy Out A-Rod's contract and cut Tex!

MLB trade rumors: Yankees, Cubs near Aroldis Chapman-Gleyber Torres swap?

By Brendan Kuty | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

HOUSTON — Sounds like Aroldis Chapman's stay in the Bronx may be as brief as expected.

The Yankees and Cubs are nearing a deal that would send Chapman to Chicago and star shortstop prospect — 19-year-old Gleyber Torres — to New York, according to multiple reports.

Jon Heyman Yanks and cubs are working on torres-plus for chapman deal, and hoping to finalize 7:53 PM - 24 Jul 2016

The Cubs and Chapman are also discussing a contract extension that would net the closer $60 million over four years. The 28-year-old is set to become a free agent at season's end.

The Yankees have long shopped Chapman as it's been clear for weeks they won't have much of a chance contending in the postseason — if they make it that far.

The team acquired Chapman in a deal with the Reds for four non-elite prospects in the offseason.

The Dodgers initially had a deal in place to get Chapman in December, but allegations that Chapman struck his girlfriend in October came to light, and Los Angeles backed out. The Yankees swooped in and took Chapman before police closed their criminal investigation into the Cuban defector and decided there wasn't enough evidence to bring charges against him.

Chapman has been stellar for the Yankees since serving a 30-game ban for violating the league's domestic abuse policy. He's got 20 saves with a 2.01 ERA and 44 strikeouts over 31 1/3 innings. He's reached 105.1 mph with his fastball, tying the record he set with the Reds.

Torres, playing for High-A Myrtle Beach, was scratched from Sunday's game, fueling speculation he would be dealt soon. ESPN's Keith Law recently ranked Torres as the game's 26th best prospect.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Have mixed feeling about getting Chapman (if indeed it happens) due to the domestic violence incident. I know he was never charged and he served his suspension but it still bothers me. That said Theo and Hoyer are guys I trust and if they feel okay signing him I'll go along with it.....obviously he makes the team better and always knew Torres would be a trade piece anyways, but a little worried about what else Cubs might be giving up.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    basically His Girlfriend claimed he chocked her but check out the Police Photos,
    [​IMG]
    This Is from the night In Question, I don't see any marks on her neck? Aroldis Is a big Strong man 6 feet 4 inches with a ton of muscle, I would think If he choked her the photo would show significant injury I see none here? He wasn't arrested The only thing he did that was illegal was fire a Gun In his garage 7 times at nothing just a blank wall. and Down here In Florida that Is practically legal, they actually tried to make a law down here In Florida where you can carry any kind of gun in your hand out of the holster in public like the old west, even an Assault Rifle:( thankfully the law did not pass!

I am hearing there are others pieces so far being bandied about that is why this is not going official, May be Jorge Soler but that might take more then Chapman, may be we can add, Gardner in the mix!

There was a beat reporter for the Pelicans on WFAN 660AM he said he is a Mets fan! he says Yankees fans are getting a stud and should be very happy with this trade! he said This kid could probably play other positions because Of D.D. Gregorius ...

14. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah just because he didn't leave a mark doesn't mean he didn't assault her....at the very least he scared her enough into hiding and callling the cops, and with the gun thing on top of it he clearly has some issues and that worries me.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Have MLB The Show 15 and just downloaded an All Time Great Roster, to save me the time of doing it myself.

…Yet they clearly didn't do the Pirates, Cardinals, or any of NL West teams at all!

Furthermore they forgot Lefty Gomez on the Yankees? :oops:

Sorry, had to rant a moment there.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

he is a big strong man If he assaulted her there would be major welts on her neck or worse he would have killed her,

just between me and you I think Chapman is a roider,

And I am not just saying that because he is being traded I thought that for years. We could be talking about Roid Rage?

Heyman: Yankees and Cubs agree to Aroldis Chapman trade

July 25, 2016by Mike Axisa 52 Comments
    2016 Trade Deadline Rumors Open Thread: Monday

The Yankees and Cubs have an Aroldis Chapman trade in place, reports Jon Heyman. Shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres, outfield prospect Billy McKinney, and right-hander Adam Warren are coming back to New York. The Yankees are likely to receive a fourth piece too. How about that? We’re still waiting on an official announcement from the team, just FYI.
    More to come, but my instanalysis: If you had asked me if Chapman could bring back Torres plus McKinney plus Warren plus a fourth piece, I would have said your trade proposal sucks. What a haul.
    2016 Trade Deadline Rumors Open Thread: Monday

17. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    The Mariners are playing better since the all star break, so that is a good sign. Maybe they can still creep into the playoffs. They have strong pitching and pitching tends to dominate in the last half of the season.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

plus why wasn't he arrested? my feeling on his suspension if he went to any other team not named the Yankees he would not have been suspended.

19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    If I am the Yankees I am on the phone with the White Sox about Chris Sale, he is a club house cancer and a lights out pitcher, he would fit in just fine with us!

20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    The Chapman deal is pretty good for both teams I think....Cubs gave up a lot but aren't losing anyone they were really planning on having in the future. Torres in particular should end up being a great player while McKinney I've heard wasn't as highly thought of by the Cubs as he once was but still has a lot of upside.

As for Sale I think a lot of teams are inquiring about him....honestly have no idea if the Sox will trade him or not but if they do I hope it's before the Cubs have to face him on Thursday.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  21. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Good deal for both teams.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll absolutely take it. Miller is more than adequate to close for us. He sure is paid like a closer.

If we can get something good for Miller, dump him too. Betances can close. This team isn't going anywhere this year.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

but wouldn't it be a funny thing if somehow we get back into the wild card talk! I could see that happening especially if we have a good week or two, we can still compete with out Chapman?
    Glad to have Warren Back!

heels1785 likes this.
  24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Hold the phone, Verlander is engaged to Kate freaking Upton????? WTF???
    Off topic I know, just learned this watching this game and can't believe this ish!

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think the next Manager of the Yankees should be Willie Randolph he would be the first African American Manager on the Yankees, like ever!