main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    He'll be the most well-compensated adviser of all time at that point.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    He's not technically retiring. He's being released.

Amazing.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, right, I'm saying though the loophole would be for rich teams to simply say "Hey, why don't you retire and we'll pay you $30 million dollars as a consultant" and he gets paid AND the luxury tax comes off.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I would think both his and Tex's salary will come off the books now for next year. Big break for the Yanks. They will have a nice chunk of change freed up.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ichiro tripled for his 3,000th hit today. He's been such a great player to watch and I'm glad I was able to see him play once in person.

TX-20 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I got to watch him in the playoffs vs. the Yankees. Tasty.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

and the Yankees won:D during that series in 2001 I was in Baton Rouge Louisiana for my Grandfathers Army Reunion, 740th Tank Battalion US ARMY WW-2 !!!

they were called Dare Devil Tankers!

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Texeira is in the last year of his contract anyway. And they're paying A-Rod his full salary through the end of next season. This was basically just a glorified release.

Amazing.

9. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Congrats to Ichiro. Glad to see him get that 3,000. Crazy to think how many more he could have had if he played his whole career over here instead of coming over at 27.
    As for A-Rod, I've never had a problem with him, so it's sad to see him go, especially this way. He was one of my favorite players when he was a Mariner.
    How many guys are going to be left from the 90's? Colon, Beltran, Beltre. Am I missing anyone? It's making me feel old.

10. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    To A-Rod…will not be sad to see him go. Like cubman, I never liked him even before everyone starting to do so too. Has nothing to do with the PEDs, I shrug that off, just never liked the guy. Yet, I will still give a grudging tip of the hat for what he's managed to accomplish. Congratulations A-Rod.

As for Ichiro, opposite response. Ichiro has been one of my favorite players of all time. So a major and excited kudos to him! :D I agree with 'Dark Lord of the Empire'. If only Ichiro had come over when he was younger, who knows how many hits he would have had. :cool: If he performed as he did in the NPB (Go Chunichi Dragons!), he'd probably be #1 already.

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Ichiro getting 3k hits today is pretty cool. He seems like a genuine super nice guy. Just a dude that loves the game. I met Francisco Cervelli a few weeks ago at a season ticket holders event and the passion pride he has for baseball is always how I pictured Ichiro.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    A-Rod carried the Mariners to that now-forgotten 2000 ALCS against the Yankees. He should never have left Seattle (nor should Griffey Jr. for that matter). If he hadn't given in to his ego and insecurity, he would be an untainted all-time great. It's easy to sit in judgment, though.

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    I also liked in the 2001 All-Star game, when he moved over to third to let Ripken start the game at short. It was a nice gesture and show of respect on A-Rod's part. Little things like that, I feel, gets forgotten.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    A-Rod kind of reminds me of Jose Canseco, in that, both players were amazing in their first years in MLB, but as their careers went on they became less favorable with the public and teammates.

Speaking of Jose Canseco, he's playing in some minor league in the SF Bay Area. His first game was last Friday. The local news showed him being called out on strikes. A couple of hundred people can out to see the once mighty Jose play.

15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, that's crazy. He's 52. It's funny when you see these guys pop up randomly like that. Wasn't Dante Bichette doing something like that not too long ago too?
    I got to see Mariano Duncan (post MLB) once here in Connecticut in the late 90's playing for the Bridgeport Bluefish.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    big papi for the rest of this year at least. and pierzynski, i think that's it.

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Forgot about Pierzynski! Thanks!
    He's had a long career, especially for a catcher.

18. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Im starting to think that older players nearing 40 should not play in Spring Training games. They should just take BP. This way they get more rest before the season starts.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    for some reason i feel sorry for Canseco on some level

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, being an A's fan, I also feel sorry for Canseco on some level. It was incredible to see a guy his size steal 40 bases, while hitting 40 HRs.

However, my most memorable moment of Canseco's career will be this:

[​IMG]

Second was the moon shot HR at Skydome.

[​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    funnily enough colin cowherd was talking about longest home runs a couple weeks ago and that one popped in my mind, and that's the one he showed. still have it on vhs

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I read an article about him the other day where he said he was addicted to baseball. He can't stay away. I hear he can throw a mean knuckle ball so I bet he can play independent league ball forever.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Speaking of Canseco...

My favorite quote about Lasorda is in there: "Jose Canseco, makes Tommy Lasorda sit quietly, and that's quite a trick."

24. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    got that game on tape too. that was only the second best home run in it ;)

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

All the runs in that game were scored via a home run.