main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Looking forward to the Royals/Blue Jays World Series in 30 minutes.

Amazing.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just filling in the downtime. :p

TX-20 and solojones like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just for the record, Tulo is a helluva good guy.

Very active in charity work, including growing a MULLET to raise awareness and money for a Denver Children's Hospital and the Special Olympics.

Always wanted him to replace Jeetz. Then the terrible Jays took him from us.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Remarkable start for Kluber.

6. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Lester having a hell of a time with that umpire.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, there was no baseball earlier today. What were we supposed to talk about? :p

So now... WTF is this ump seeing. Why is Lester not getting the same zone called...?

heels1785 likes this.
  8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    KC is Narnia. lol. Best line I have seen in ages.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, sj. Lester looks about ready to tear the old mans head off with his teeth, though.

I wish there was a season-long points system to ensure that only the best umpires see the light of day in the playoffs. This crew is going to be awful, we could see it a mile away.

10. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Is this Ump secretly a fan of the Tribe? :p

That's a good idea heels1785. Both managers and the MLB HQ should each give a score for the umpires every game. You can see overall scores as well as how one seems to do against certain teams.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, all sports should have some kind of review and points system, IMHO. Umps and refs who make potentially game-changing mistakes shouldn't continue in their jobs if it happens much, and certainly shouldn't be in the postseason.

It's definitely the worst in baseball, though, because the home plate umpire is the sole arbiter of strike and ball calls (outside of foul balls). And haven't studies shown that there's usually a bias towards the home team?

I would honestly still take robots at home plate. If not for the entire decision, then at least as an arbiter of a challenge process. Like how goal line technology works in soccer.

Gaaah so close to a HR there :(

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Or if you want to take the emotion out of it, create a panel of former players, pitchers and position players, and allow them to score each performance.

There needs to be something other than the "well, it's Laz's turn" system when Laz isn't qualified to call a little league game anymore.

Edit: Robots are the future. The sooner, the better!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a pretty terrible system. Almost amy kind of review or accountability process would be better.

Darth_Elu and heels1785 like this.
  14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Cubs fans have thrown things on the field, but everyone loves the Cubs.

Go Cleveland.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    ****. Once again, I'm so sorry we won home field advantage for the Indians. Sorry Cubs fans. Not a good start :(

16. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The All-Star Game as a WS homefield advantage decider is stupid, especially now that we have year-round interleague play.

jcgoble3 and DarthTunick like this.
  18. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    And Cleveland fans don't? See post #10935

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

19. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    I still enjoy the All Star Game. Yes, I'm in the minority I know.

Still, its been a long tradition of the game that I enjoy...I just wish we could find some way to make it more important that wasn't dumb.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, it truly is. Why the hell doesn't it just go to the team with the better regular season record again? Making one All Star game a year more interesting doesn't seem like a good reason to go with the current system.

21. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    If anything, the NBA needs to follow MLB's lead and put Home Court Advantage in the NBA Finals in their All Star Game. Have you seen the inflated scores in that game? Those clowns don't take the game seriously enough to play defense. At least stakes like this are incentive to play the game right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Kluber is dialed in.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Lol it's an All-Star Game. Who cares? There's no "right way". I hope for the day that the NBA All-Star game features scores in the 200's.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally home from work. Have to get up early tomorrow but enjoying the game at the moment.

Same here.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously. Why would you want to sacrifice something truly important, homefield advantage for the championship series, for the sake of one stupid All Star game?