main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I couldn't figure out that sign. It was like 83 - 5 ? I'm not supporting it but if anyone can figure it out, thanks.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What are you talking about? The one that said 84 and 03? Those are two years that the Cubs choked in the playoffs. Funny that his sign didn't include 08... [face_headdesk]

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Strilo, let me tell you from experience, no matter the outcome, the WS experience is worth it. And I completely agree that if the Cubs don't do it this time, they will soon.

Coruscant and Darth_Elu like this.
  4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Not any more!

Amazing.

solojones likes this.
  5. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Cubs off to a much better start. Keep it up, Chicago!

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    God, how great is Ben Zobrist? He's literally like the perfect baseball player you'd build in a lab. Always making contact even when others can't, making plays in the field, a fantastic team guy, and a really good guy.

I miss him so much :(

But yeah Cubs rallying!

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    This fees like the game where Francona's over-reliance on the bullpen blows up.

Amazing.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See what I mean?!

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Though the confidence in this young, talented Cubs team is rather understandable, still, there are no guarantees. Never assume anything.

Strilo and Point Given like this.
  10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

ahhhhhhh. thanks. maybe the other side had 08 and 45.

11. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The perfect baseball player is a career .266 hitter? Lol I wouldn't go that far, but he is pretty good.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

He always was a good fielder.

13. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Congrats to the Cubs! We've got ourselves a tied World Series. :cool:

Strilo likes this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    All around. There's more to baseball than a stat line. Have you paid attention to how Zobrist has showed up situationally in the last two post seasons? That ultimately is way more important than your batting average across 162 games that don't count for anything once you're in the post season.

Zobrist's situational hitting and intangibles were vitals to the Royals winning in 15 after losing in 14. So far he's getting it done for the Cubs.

And we're all even! Now this is a series.

cubman987 and Darth_Elu like this.
  15. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    No matter who wins, this World Series deserves to go 7.

And I'm going to have to agree with solojones on the matter of Ben Zobrist. Definitely a great all-arounder or as I often hear said of him: "Super Utility."

He's one of the players I always enjoyed watching even though he's never played for San Francisco. :)

solojones and cubman987 like this.
  16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I can now say I've seen the Cubs win a World Series game! Also, as if this series needed anymore drama, seeing Kyle Schwarber not only play but to get 2 RBI hits is something you couldn't script. So happy for him!

Strilo , solojones, Darth_Elu and 2 others like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SJ - I'm pretty sure you're not going to get anywhere with an "intangibles" argument here any longer... ;) I'm okay with some intangibles (like tangible-intangibles) having a place, but in a mostly-data driven sport these days, it's not going to end well.

So, here's an interesting question... is the Cubs strategy the same as the 1986 Mets vs. Astros strategy? "Win every non-Mike Scott/Corey Kluber game?"

Also, did anyone complain that a fly ball was too high at the game tonight?

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think Scott was considerably more dominating than Kluber. It's always helpful to note that the Mets completely believed that they absolutely had to win Game 6, or they were done. From Frank Cashen on down to the batboys, Scott was in their heads. I doubt that's the case for Kluber.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I know as a Yanks fan this is the equivalent of heresy, but I am, and have always been a huge admirer of Tito Francona. Really was impressed with him tonight. Was smiling and pleasant, daresay confident in his postgame press conference tonight - first World Series game he's ever lost.

So many of the very best coaches across sports are absolute wretches to the media when they lose - Belichick, Popovich (mostly), Saban, Phil Jackson, Parcells..

I was very impressed with Tito tonight.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, we were supposed to be upset with Tito? That's news, we just hated the players -- we liked Tito. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I mean, anyone affiliated with 2004 is on my list. That pain was real.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What happened in 2004? I remember the baseball playoffs cancelled under mysterious circumstances...

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

I remember Lima Time!

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    We are one step closer to the fulfillment of Michael Lee's prediction. (This is a yearbook... from 1993!)

[​IMG]

Darth_Elu and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... wtf?