main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

That's what I said. :p

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok ok I figured it out. He saw BTTF 2 and got the year wrong. They look like Saved By The Bell kids!

Rew likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, two games in and both teams have been dominated by an Ace. I think both teams will be okay with a 1-1 split in Cleveland, but the Cubs are slightly happier. Arrieta was just masterful last night. Dominant, just like Kluber, but in a slightly different way. I think the Series goes at least six, with a good chance at 7.

Bauer was a terrible matchup with the Cubs, when you look at splits and advanced stats. Josh Tomlin is a much better match-up against them (so is Ryan Merritt, though that's hard to declare with how little evidence we have of Merritt). I'd call game three pivotal in the series, but we've seen once this year that a Cleveland team being down 3-1 against the team with the best record in the league isn't absolutely damning, so I'd be cautious at calling game two a must-win. Still, if the Tribe take game 2, Cleveland will feel much better about their chances.

To me, though, the offense is the biggest concern in Cleveland. Not just that Arrieta shut them down, that's okay. But in the ALCS, outside of Frankie Lindor, that team hit like .084 (I'm guessing, but I don't think the actual number is far from there). Someone other than Frankie has got to step up. And, in the next three games, Carlos Santana can't be that guy. Maybe it'll be Kip? Or Napoli? It's gotta be someone.

Anyways, Congrats Cubs fans, you had your first televised World Series victory! Hope you don't get three more this year!

LloydChristmas likes this.
  4. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Like the Great Joe Torrie always said "The key is game 3" Cleveland bats better be smart in 3.

5. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I echo Inty's sentiment about the offense. It's getting kind of concerning....where's Jobu when you need him?

LloydChristmas likes this.
  6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Time for a new bet?

7. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    You guys are still salty about 2004? Move on, lol.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    We should have gone for the live chicken ...
    [​IMG]

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Some things you cannot. We essentially swapped places with Boston when we lost that 3-0 series lead. I know we got a title a few years later, but Boston has been the superior franchise since 2004.

I had to stop and vomit six times while typing that last sentence, but it's true.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    lmao heels are you complaining about being a Yankees fan during an Indians/Cubs World Series

Rew, jcgoble3, xblackout and 5 others like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    oh no, the Yankees have to endure seeing Chapman on one side of the World Series, and Miller on the Other.

Wake me up when Facebook reminds you that your franchise had consecutive Cy Young Winners, and they started game 1 of the World Series opposite each other.

xblackout and heels1785 like this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We will never understand the true pain that is a seven year championship drought.

TX-20, Rew, jcgoble3 and 4 others like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm, funny, the Royals are perhaps the least data-driven team in the MLB (we barely ever even shift!). And it got us to game 7 of one WS and a win in the next WS. In those postseasons, they consistently beat the data and odds within games, including winning games they had a less than 1% chance of winning more than once, and coming from behind in late innings to win I believe a record eight times in a post-season, and something like three times in the WS alone. Because the team relied heavily on team intangibles and rallies and no guidance from coaches on bunting or stealing.

I guess that's your definition of "not getting very far" and "not going to end well" :p

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Ask any Yankee fan.....The real season starts in October! We will get Chapman back & a return to glory!

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love that this World Series is basically a cross between a BTTF 2 and Major League reference.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Man, my Yankee drought is so long guys!

Too long! Obama was in his first term! Can you believe it?!

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Try a nearly 30 year drought, and not just a drought but generally abysmal, then tell me how bad seven years really is.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Ah but that's where it's different cuz we are the Evil Empire. One year out of October is like 10 for other teams!

Correction: We are the old Evil Empire. The Red Sox are the new Evil Empire!

20. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    No, the Red Sox are the CIS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  22. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Even though they were in last place two years in a row, and 3 out of 4 years? I don't think so.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Am I confused here? I thought Tito Francona was his dad. The Indians/former Red Sox coach is Terry. I've never once heard him called Tito until this year. I thought the announcers made a mistake. Since when is Terry called Tito?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Both. His father is Tito, but Tito is also his nickname.

25. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009