main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Thank you!

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I heard he had his agent get a hold of the Pirates too. Might be a decent buy low candidate to see if Ray can work his magic on another one.

4. thestartrader

thestartrader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Ugh. Sadly need starters... What a sad FA market for SP. Gonna have to trade for a young SP regardless.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Well deserved!

cubman987 likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Holland Is pretty good!,

and these weren't even that long ago!
    my idea is for the Yankees to get two starting pitchers like Holland and then get two closer like pitchers like Chapman and then we are possibly in the playoffs next year! then in 2018 we go hard for Bryce Harper and an ace pitcher!!!!

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The Yanks are still pinching their pennies though. Can they go after the big free agents?

8. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I heard something about my Giants, I was summoned. lol :p

Hearing a lot of rumors that the Yankees want to try for a trade for Mike Trout. Still don't see it happening though.

9. thestartrader

Jan 11, 2016

His overall numbers say otherwise. =/ 2013 was his best season, so if he could repeat that I'd gladly take him, lol. He is only 30, and a lefty, so he has that going for him. I have no idea what kind of contract he's going to demand, but if it's not too bad, well... gotta fill the rotation out somehow. =/ I'd still rather pass though. That said, they'll have to sign Holland or someone like him, and I see them also possibly trading for a young SP now that the farm system has been replenished.

I'd welcome Chapman back, but I hear he is asking for crazy money, so if that's the case, I'd rather try and bring Melancon back. We almost made the playoffs this season (though we wouldn't have made any noise), so a full year of Sanchez and the other young guys, plus whomever we add over the offseason, and I could see us possibly making it next season. Bryce is going to ask for so much money. o_o

Rox - I tend to see it more as they are trying to be smarter w/ their money, after season after season of handing out crazy contract after crazy contract. Because of that, I can see why it feels like they're pinching pennies.

Darth_Elu - Yeah there's no way it happens. He is the face of the Angels franchise, and I don't think they have any desire or intent to trade him. Also, I wouldn't want to trade for him considering all the prospects he'd cost. Those guys could fill multiple holes while Trout would only fill one.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes DarthTunick I agree completely. Obviously I would have been happy if Maddon had one, but honestly as a MANAGER for the entire season, I think Dave Roberts deserved it more. Amazing job this season with the Dodgers.

DarthTunick and cubman987 like this.
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah what Roberts did with the amount of injuries they had to deal with this year was pretty impressive and I agree he deserves it. I think for Maddon to have won again this year they would have had to have gotten closer to that 116 win record because the Cubs basically did what they were supposed to do this year.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Now it is rumored the Yankees are checking in on Jason Hamel and I read an Article that suggests we should trade Gardner for the Cardinals Jaime Garcia,

sorry the site I got It doesn't have a link It would just link to the message board I got It from,
    Yankees Offseason Trade Target: Cardinals Starter Jaime Garcia

by Evan Halpine-Berger20 hours ago

The St. Louis Cardinals are one of the few MLB clubs with excess starting pitching, so the New York Yankees could probably pry loose lefty Jaime Garcia after a disappointing season.

The fact that there was apparently some debate in the St. Louis Cardinals organization about picking up Jaime Garcia’s $12 million could indicate that he’s viewed as expendable this offseason. He’s only one season removed from being the type of front-of-the-rotation talent the New York Yankees desperately need, so it would be worth taking a long look at his medicals and mechanics, to assess the reasons behind his disappointing 2016 season.

Back in September, ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that the Cardinals shopped Garcia at the August 1st trade deadline this year. Alex Reyes took over the veteran’s spot in the rotation after a rough finish to the season (5.60 ERA in last 70.2 IP), and it doesn’t appear that the Card’s would have room for Garcia in their starting five to begin next year either barring injury.

Even with a repeat of his 2016 performance, Garcia could conceivably be an upgrade for the back of the Yankees rotation. He threw 171.2 IP over 30 starts, pitching to a 4.67 ERA while striking out 20.2% of batters, walking 7.7%, and posting an excellent 56.7% ground ball rate.

His 3.77 xFIP suggests he may have been the victim of some bad luck. 20.2% of the flyballs he allowed carried for home runs, so if that returns to something close to his 11.5% career average, his run prevention numbers might not be so ugly next year.

Just one year before, Garcia pitched to a 2.43 ERA and 3.36 xFIP in 129.2 innings pitched. His strikeout and walk rates were not remarkably different from his 2016 numbers, the big difference was a big jump in long balls allowed this year.

Garcia seemed to get worse as the season wore on this season, and it’s possible that fatigue played a role in his struggles. The 171.2 frames he threw this season were the second most of his career, and easily his most since 2011. It’s possible that the strength he built up by putting together a full season could help him return to his previous levels of success in 2017.

Like many pitchers, the biggest drawback with acquiring Garcia is the potential for injuries. He’s had a number of serious issues over the years, including Tommy John and thoracic outlet surgery, but did manage to get through this year unscathed. On a one year deal it is probably safe to roll the dice as long as his physical doesn’t turn up anything scary.

With the Cardinals in need of a true centerfielder and leadoff hitter, a swap of Garcia for Brett Gardner makes all the sense in the world. The move would save the Yankees a little money in 2018 when they plan to get under the luxury tax, shore up their uncertain rotation for this season, and open up a spot for Clint Frazier. Aaron Hicks is perfectly capable of holding down left until Big Red shows he’s ready.Garcia isn’t a perfect fit, because ideally the Yankees are looking for pitchers who are controlled long term. Bringing him on board would give them a fourth starter who is set to hit free agency after 2017, although New York has plenty of time to explore extensions if they are so inclined.

13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm kinda disappointed in the NL Cy Young results. Kate Upton on the other hand, is very unhappy with the AL Cy Young results:

[​IMG]

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    [face_rofl]

She is pissed.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    wow she's on a tear , go look at her twitter account

cubman987 and TX-20 like this.
  16. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Porcello deserved it more anyway......

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's spelled K-L-U-B-E-R, not P-O-R-C-E-L-L-O ...

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Weird, that's totally not how you spell M-I-L-L-E-R...

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    In Toronto, they spell "Miller" C-I-R-C-U-M-S-T-A-N-C-E-S

thestartrader and TX-20 like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol @ "circumstances" again...

21. thestartrader

Jan 11, 2016
    Seems like we're going to be rumored to be interested in almost every FA starter, lol. Hammel would be a good addition, Garcia otoh I don't know about. It'd be hard to see Brett go, but it's probably the smart decision. I'm just not hot on trading him for Garcia.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Verlander is a MLB player, millionaire and banging Kate Upton (who's lashing out for him over the Cy Young voting). Dude is winning at life.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Hopefully just his first

[​IMG]

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Oakland A's are under new management.

Lew Wolff steps down as Oakland A's managing partner

For many of the A's fans, like myself, this is great news because we felt that Wolff was holding the team back from getting a new stadium, which would all the organization to spend more money on players and keeping their young talent. For years, Wolff had his heart set on building a stadium in San Jose and moving the team their, but that was blocked by the SF Giants claiming territory rights to that area. Wolff never let go of that idea and rejected all proposals to build a new stadium in Oakland. However, with Wolff stepping down and new management in place, fans are expecting the team to work with the city of Oakland a build a new stadium along the waterfront in the Jack London Square area. I'm hoping this will happen. If the A's move to Jack London Square, the opens the door for the Raiders to build a football only stadium in it's current location.

At any rate, A's fans are looking to a brighter future.

Chromide and DarthTunick like this.