main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm happy Kris Bryant got MVP for NL, but Mike Trout did not deserve the AL MVP over Betts this year. It's honestly ridiculous how much he won the MVP by over Betts.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Red Sux. :p

Also, y'know, he was a full WAR above Betts...

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I know the MVP masquerades itself as an individual award, but it really ought to weigh the overall team performance when that's particularly clear, as it was this season; Betts was more valuable because his numbers meant more to the Sox, by virtue of their run to the division title. Anaheim wasn't a factor at all. Either rename the award as the Most Outstanding Player, or have that as a separate honor.

thestartrader, Chromide and TX-20 like this.
  4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Except the guidelines for voting specifically leave out any mention of team performance. Why should Mookie Betts benefit because he has better teammates than Mike Trout? If anything, the opposite would hold, because Betts' relative value to his team is lessened because he had so many great players around him.

Amazing.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It ought to be in the guidelines, and I'm sure -even if they never admit it publicly- that some writers vote that way much of the time. It's all about the language of the award for me, irregardless of how it's supposed to be interperted. :p Value goes hand-in-hand with the team in a team sport. What is Trout's ultimate value on a 4th place team?

Chromide likes this.
  6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    In 2001, the Mariners won 116 games. They finished 15 games ahead of the A's. Ichiro won the MVP. Without him, they still would have cruised to a division title. So what was his ultimate value to his team?

Amazing.

7. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Best player on the best team?

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Fair enough-ish (for without him, perhaps they don't tie the all-time season win record with 116 :p ) with that observation.

Chromide likes this.
  9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Tunick did you really type 'irregardless'?

Also congrats of course to my boy, Kris Bryant.

Chromide and cubman987 like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cespedes 4yr/110 mil to stay with the Mets.

Good move, too much money? Point Given AmazingB

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    27.5 million isnt that bad especially when you factor in his arm. 4 years is great and with Grandy's contract ending soon and Wright probably going to retire we'll have enough for Thor and deGrom, maybe even Matz

Darth_Furio likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Grandy Man Can probably sign a short deal for cheap, I'd think. Pitching is going to cost a lot - do you think Harvey will get a longterm deal in NY?

13. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think it's too much money, but it's good on years. Five years would have been too much and I'm not looking forward to a 35 year old Cespedes in 2020 but it could have been worse. They also don't have a center fielder. I think they definitely trade Bruce and I'd be on board with trading Granderson and signing Fowler.

Amazing.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  14. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    These days money isn't a big deal, especially to teams like the Mets. Teams are going to overpay for shorter term deals these days. Hopefully the Jays finally pony up and sign Edwin. Also hoping the Yankees improve this off season.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's a big deal to the Wilpons. They got suckered by Madoff, and never really recovered. I wish they'd sell, but that's not happening

16. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    He was worth 500 million in 2012, I'm sure that's gone up. Then there's the Mets' playoff runs and the general interest in the club has been on an incline for a few years now. They should be good for cash. :p

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Here's the thing with Cespedes - were the Mets going to spend that $110m on anything that would come close to giving you the production and opportunity to cash in on your current window? If not, it's money well spent. Whether or not it's overpaying or overvaluing someone is almost irrelevant, especially with the ridiculous amount of revenue in baseball right now.

Teams that are actively in their window of contention should worry about maximizing the opportunity to get a title, not about best value on dollar spent. Don't go crazy, mind you, but don't pinch pennies over an important piece of contention that you'll have no way to replace.

You listening, Dolans?

Darth_Furio likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think the money is close, I think 4/104 would have been more to my liking but I'm not a Mets fan so spend away lol.

DarthTunick are you hearing the same McCutchen to the Dodgers rumors we have bee here in Pittsburgh the last few days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I remember when the A's traded away Cepedes. Their offense when downhill and they haven't recovered since.

I don't think Cepedes is worth that contract, but that's the pretty much the market rate in this off season without alot of marquee names in free agency.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    McCutchen to somewhere is the word.

Yankees, get to it. Please.

dp4m and Darth_Furio like this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I have... honestly, they need a SP more, so the rumors of Chris Sale trade have intrigued me more.

22. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008

Hope Rogers is listen too! :p Rogers is the massive telecomm company that owns the Jays.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    From all the chatter on Twitter it looks like there is an agreement on a new CBA. Details to come tonight.

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    My take on Cespedes' contract is strictly one of value. An AAV of $27.5M assumes he's a 5-6 WAR player when he's generally been a 3-4 WAR player. So the Mets are effectively paying at least a 20% premium for him. I accept that that is often what it takes for top tier free agents and I'm not going to complain about watching Cespedes every day (at least not until 2019). I think the Mets could have spent their money better, in a vacuum. But this was a safer play and could easily be the right one.

Amazing.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000