main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Cool, I never really had strong feelings one way or the other about it but I don't think it really added anything to the All Star game.

The luxury tax is kinda crazy now with this agreement, basically a soft cap is what I've seen a lot of people call it.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Determining home field advantage by best overall record is hardly a great improvement. Sure, just about anything is better than using an exhibition game. But in a league where you play 162 games, and a tiny portion of them against a tiny portion of the other league ... to have the best overall record determine home field advantage? I don't like it. It's not like the NBA where each team plays every team in the other conference and plays a significant portion of their schedule (one-third, basically) against the other conference, and so best overall record is decent indicator.

Honestly, they should just take Pete Rose to a horse track for a day during the All-Star Break. if he makes money, the NL gets home field, if he loses money, and AL gets home field.

Darth Basin and cubman987 like this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What if it went to the team that had the best record in interleague play?

PCCViking likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Do you mean compare the two world series participants and the team that has the better interleague record gets homefield advantage? I'd be okay with that. Better than the current or previous structure. Or do you mean the league with the better overall record (therefore, theoretically, demonstrating the stronger league, and therefore the champion of that league "earning" homefield)? I'd also be okay with that, and more in favor of that than just about any other proposal.

I'd also be fine to returning to alternating years for homefield.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    The two world series teams specifically. But the idea of looking at the leagues as a whole is interesting too and one I didn't think of.

I'd be okay with alternating each year as well.

6. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Well thanks for ruining the All-Star Game. World Series HFA as a spoil for victory was the one thing that made this game actually mean something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Darth Basin and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

The only reason I watch the All Star Game Is It means something If It Is just an exhibition then I wont watch.

Nanaki likes this.
  8. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    I want the NBA to follow Baseball's lead for their All-Star game so that players would play actual defense the same way they do in the regular season. Herm Edwards said it best...you play to win the game, not to just play it.

Now that Baseball got rid of the one spoil that made their ASG mean something, I won't be watching anymore.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    It's an all star game. It's not supposed to mean anything.
    Going back to this, I did some quick research and it turns out this may not be the best way to go since it overwhelmingly favours the AL.

cubman987 likes this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's an exhibition game in which the fans get to vote in the players (which means not always the best players), a lot of whom won't even be in the playoffs and don't necessarily care who wins home field. I'm not sure it really is that big of a deal to not have the game "mean anything".

11. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Well then, the burden is on NL fans to vote for better NL players and subpar AL players.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Feeling more and more confident in my opposition to the ASG determining home field advantage knowing you supported the idea, Nanaki

I don't see that as a downside. Do you? :p

13. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Do you really think I want to see a repeat of John Kruk's little stunt against Randy Johnson? You know, intentionally striking out?

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    No....of course not! [face_whistling]

15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I mean, that was pretty funny no? Is there anything that has happened since the game "mattered" that was even close to as memorable as that?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I can't really speak for what you do or do not want to see. Me? I want to be entertained watching the All-Star Game. That John Kruk-Randy Johnson moment was one of the most entertaining moments an ASG has given us. So, me, yes, I want to see more of that.

DarthTunick and cubman987 like this.
  17. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    It wasn't a perfect system, but I'll miss the ASG "meaning something." Granted, it was definitely a flawed system and wish they could think of something else, but I did like it having some form of authenticity. Not much, but it was there. Then again, I love the tradition of the ASG and so many of you are against it these days I'm afraid it'll just be pulled one season when it has been around for so much of baseball's history.

*sighs* It is what it is though, we'll just move along.

18. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Ichiro hitting the first inside-the-park Homer for the first time in ASG history doesn't count as "memorable"?

Sorry, but the integrity of the game is more important than the entertainment of it.

19. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Sorry, but I can't agree that entertainment isn't the just about the most important thing in something that was created as a form of entertainment. I also don't think having harmless fun that is still brought up every All- Star game in any way has a negative impact on the "integrity" of the game.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the all-star game is meant to be an exhibition and a break from the season. it's supposed to be fun. perfectly understandable if you don't want to watch that, but that's how it was for 70 years and i'm happy to see them return to that tradition. the home field advantage in the world series thing was always a complete non sequitur to me. like the blue jays should get home field advantage in the world series because a pitcher for the astros pitched great one evening in july? makes no sense.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The integrity of the game doesn't matter in an exhibition game.

Also, Sandy Alomar Jr. hitting the game winning homerun at home in 1997 is my most memorable moment from an ASG.

But it wasn't as entertaining as Kruk vs Johnson.

cubman987 likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think for me it was probably cal ripken hitting a home run in his last all star game at safeco. but i'm sure everyone would have gotten on chan ho park for grooving him that pitch if the game supposedly "meant something".

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    They just need to find another gimmick that doesn't actually affect the regular season and playoffs.

How about they use Nerf baseball bats and balls?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I would be all about the ASG being a Wiffle Ball Game.

can you imagine watching Clayton Kershaw line up and throw a wiffle ball at Mike Trout, who is holding a plastic bat?

tom and cubman987 like this.
  25. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    There needs to be genuine incentive to win. And no, "bragging rights for your League" isn't good enough. "Oh, we're the superior league because we won the ASG!" with nothing tangible to back it up doesn't mean anything.