main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Honest question.

On February 25th, Cleveland plays Cincinnati. Do the teams need "genuine incentive" to win that game?

2. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    The players themselves do...otherwise it's down to the Minors for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess it's just a bit different for those of us who grew up with the all-star game as a fun exhibition game. it feels more like returning things to the way they should be, rather than something being taken away. there's also the fact that that's how it is in every other sport. let the players loosen up, get to see a lighter side of them. it's baseball after all, it's a game for kids and grownups alike. not everything about it needs to be deadly serious.

cubman987 and DarthTunick like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You realize that's a Spring Training game, right?

5. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    The games may not count in the standings, but it's still important on an individual basis. Roster spots are up for grabs. Do you expect me to believe that Spring Training doesn't matter for people like Tim Tebow?

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    do you think players don't want to do well in the all-star game, on the national stage, in a game watched by millions? you think they need extra incentive?

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You think Tim Tebow will either make the Mets or not make the Mets based on how many Spring Training games they win?

Or do you not understand what "Genuine Incentive To Win the game" means?

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Bring back rock and jock softball

Edit: I love the all star game move by the way. An exhibition game is what it was always intended to be. Maybe they can do some fun things like USA vs The World or make it more interactive with mic'd up players. Or heck helmet cams. At least it's not the pro bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Glad to see this. Nothing against the Indians, but the Cubs should have had home-field advantage in the World Series given that they won 9 more games than them. I wish they had clinched at Wrigley (then again who knows how the WS goes if all the games were flipped to opposite stadiums)

All arguments aside, my favorite All-Star Game was the one where Dan Uggla made 3 errors and struck out. God that was funny.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he made 3 errors, struck out 3 times, and grounded into a double play. my friend mark and i were dying.

Point Given likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

My all-time favorite moments; going to be hard to top. :p

cubman987 likes this.
  12. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    And this was the first inside-the-park home run in ASG history. This got Ichiro voted the game's MVP.

And I didn't even realize how close this was to being a common Home Run, but the end result was the same nonetheless.

And for the record, I do believe players who get paid millions of dollars to "play a kids game" should take their own performance very seriously, whether the game counts or not. This isn't the Harlem Globetrotters, or whatever their baseball equivalent would be. Perhaps this may be a little overboard, but this is the type of effort Pete Rose gave on the field in an ASG that didn't have anything significant up for grabs.

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    With respect to home field advantage, on MLB Tonight last night Richard Justice made a point I hadn't considered: that it gives incentive to teams to try to win out at the end of the season. I was already in the camp that taking home field advantage away from the All Star game is in unqualified good, as is deciding home field on best record. But teams playing to win even after they've clinched is always a good thing.

Amazing.

TX-20, solojones and DarthTunick like this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Thank God for removing the HFA for the All Star Game. Despite the Royals being a big part of the AL getting that the last two years, it's still super dumb. You shouldn't sacrifice a huge thing like WS home field for one silly All Star Game.

You should watch the ASG because it's fun. That's it. Baseball is the ultimate sport of endurance and cumulative effort. So having one team get a huge advantage because of something other players did in a single game is antithetical to baseball.

Are you concerned that this Cespedes contract might also mean they can't afford to keep one of the starting pitchers? That's what I would worry about. I feel like their overall value to the team is higher than Cespedes', though I admit as an AL person much if my judgement of the team is from the WS.

15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Not really. His contract is something like 22.5/29.5/29.5/29.5, so the increase is offset by Granderson's contract coming off the books (I'm assuming they trade Jay Bruce this offseason). Arbitration increases are going to be expensive, but Harvey is the closest to free agency in 2019, so I don't think any contracts this offseason really factor into it.

Amazing.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Word on the street is that Bryce Harper wants 10 years, $400 million. Nats aren't willing to pay that, and will allow him to hit the market after 2018 season.

If this kid isn't a future Yankee, I don't know what is. Can't wait for him to dominate for a few seasons, inevitably test positive for PEDs, date Madonna for a minute or two, and finally end up sitting next to Pete Rose as a commentator watching the Cubs win their 15th consecutive World Series.

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'm sure that the Red Sox would be interested in Harper as well; can't let the Yankees have everyone that they want.

18. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Isn't it the Natural Course for the Evil Empire of Baseball to have any stars they want?

19. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Of course it is natural for the Yankees to have whoever they want, but that doesn't mean that Boston or any other team would let them.

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Holy crap 40 mil a year!

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Is Scott Boras his agent?

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Yes, Scott Boras is Bryce Harper's agent and he says the $40 mil a year is just a starting point; Harper will probably get even more than that.

23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Of course, if Harper has a couple more seasons in line with his career numbers instead of 2015, then he won't get anywhere near that.

Amazing.

Chromide likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rich Hill was worth re-signing, but not at the year or price the Dodgers gave him.

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    What's up with the Dodgers? They have like 10 starting pitchers right now.