main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Crossed an item off the bucket list tonight and went to Cubs-Indians at Goodyear Park.

[​IMG]

Need to make sure this isn't the only time I ever go to Spring Training. just a fun experience overall.

cubman987 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Wait, you're in town? I hope you've had a good time here :).

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Incredibly short work trip. Flew in Sunday night, fly home tonight.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Its The Show release day today. Unfortunately for the wallet, one week after new Mass Effect.

Picking up the game tonight, but have watched the intro video. It's fantastic - I daresay lovers of the game will probably feel a tinge of emotion.

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not going to lie, I was fully expecting commercials to be the easy culprit when I clicked on this article from SB Nation looking at why ballgames are so much longer today, compared to similar games from years ago. Shockingly, not necessarily the case.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Huh, that's fascinating... we've known for a while that MLB has some of the best "big data" guys in the game, but I'd sort of assumed the "speed up the game via pitch clocks / batters stepping out of the box" thing was just slap-dash... now we know they have have crunched the numbers and come to a proper conclusion...

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    2017 Uni Watch preview

1) Why are the Mets getting rid Mr. Met on the alternate uni? It added a bit of a character to it.

2) Those mesh seats in Atlanta would be something I'd like to see implemented elsewhere, specifically Dodger Stadium. :p

3) The New Era logo on the hats are annoying enough, but can get used to it... those planned Under Armor logos coming in 2020? **** no.

4) It's shameful how plain the Padres aesthetic continues to be.

5) [​IMG]

Love that look... I wish the Dodgers would go back to the glossy look for their helmets (not that the matte look is bad, but glossy is better)

6) Of course the Cubs ring & banner ceremonies will occur in their 1st series at Wrigley this season... against the Dodgers. :p

8. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I'd like to know why the defending World Series Champions don't automatically open the regular season at home. The NFL has been doing it since around 2000-ish (the only exception since then was 2013, when Baltimore was forced to open on the road due to a scheduling conflict with the Orioles), and I can't even remember the last time the NBA champs opened their season on the road. With championship rings and banners to be presented, don't you think the Cubs should open at home? And especially since this is the first season since 1909 that the title of "Defending Champions" gets attached to the Cubs name?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's an irrelevant "issue"; the Cubs will be in the proper spotlight all season long.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I don't know anyone who cares that the Cubs aren't opening at home....most are hopeful it will be a bit warner later in the month. Plus the ring presentation isn't even going to be during the home opener.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It bothers me much less in baseball to have the home team start at home. It isn't the NFL where it's one of 8 events. It isn't the NBA where you can control the climate (or the NHL). You don't want to schedule a marquee game for Chicago and have it be a freak April snow storm.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Mostly because they try and open the early April games in the South and domes, where possible, since the weather is either unpredictable or terrible most of the time in the mid-Atlantic / NE / MW / North regions.

I promise you no one in NYC cared the Yankees almost never opened at home.

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Also, the MLB schedule is set sometime around August. Given how often concerts and other events are scheduled for road trips, changing things around in November probably presents more than a few logistical nightmares.

Amazing.

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The opening to this years MLB The Show is awesome:

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    We aren't even a full inning into the season and I'm already done with Tanaka. And any idiot who decided we should pay the wife beater Chapman a billion dollars when we have a glorified minor league rotation.

cubman987 likes this.
  16. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    The umpires owe us a safe call on replay anyway, especially after how the Top of the First ended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

heels1785 likes this.
  17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Happy Opening Day everyone! Such an awesome feeling starting the season as defending champs!

18. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Happy Opening Day cubman. :)

Wow, Tanaka trouble already.

cubman987 likes this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude we get to watch our season opener on ESPN! I don't even. Is this what it's like to support a winning team?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh, madbum might be having the best opening day ever. ways to go, but he's retired the first 15 batters he's faced, 7 by strikeout, and has walked and homered in 2 plate appearances.

edit: jinxed it of course

Coruscant and Point Given like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Came to post the jinx!

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that second home run tho

23. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Yikes Giants bullpen picking up right where it left off last season.

DarthTunick and tom like this.
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

There's still other baseball to watch tomorrow, radio for the Dodger game (shoddy, often unreliable online streams just aren't the same) & most of inherent Opening Day excitement, but still...

[​IMG].

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    BOB FELLER will never be matched

tom likes this.