main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Sure didn't seem to help him at all, rather it clearly hurt him a lot..... allowed a runner to reach....

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Yeah was a weird series between the Cubs and Cards with this and the Piscotty getting hit 3 times thing. I do really appreciate that this led to the Cubs rallying for the win too.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Didn't they hack the Astros a couple of years ago?

4. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Yes.

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    All I know is that my Reds aren't last in the league at the moment.

Chromide and Darth_Elu like this.
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rain delays are the worst. :p

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Love the setup for the World Series banner at Wrigley Field and the old school designs, might have gotten a little misty eyed watching those banners go up.

8. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Wait, the CUBS were the first franchise to repeat as World Series Champs?

That curse overshadowed a lot more than I initially thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    37 in chicago and it looks like it

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So many runners left on base, so many wasted offensive opportunities for the Dodgers last night... obviously the most frustrating part of the game; the Tunick birthday jinx also continued (it was my mother's birthday yesterday). :p

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Welcome back, Dr Smooth. We missed you

12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

That was so much fun to see and an awesome way to cap off what was a great day at the ballpark. It was a playoff like atmosphere for the raising of the AL Championship banner, the reveal of the pennant out in right field (hope they run out of room over there real soon) and seeing the players and staff get their AL Champion rings. They had Jim Thome, Austin Carr and Jim Brown out there to throw out the ceremonial first pitches, but only Thome and Carr actually threw a ball.

The weather was great to start the day (we got downtown around noon or so to enjoy the festivities), but it got much cooler as the game wore on. Low 70's at first pitch turned to upper 40's by the later innings, and with a pretty strong breeze that swirled around the stadium. Lindor's first inning home run was great, and just added to the playoff feel with folks in the stands hugging and high fiving one another, then the game settled into a pitchers duel which I enjoy, but started to suck the energy out of the Jake, especially after Edwin squandered two bases loaded situations by grounding into double plays each time (both times set up by a Brantley walk). I am sure he will correct himself and revert back to the norm, which is going to be scary for everyone else because he is scuffling right now (just one RBI on the season) Cookie looked great out there, really only had the one mistake that was tattooed and still hasn't landed yet. Gomes looked lost at the plate, with each at bat looking worse than the previous one. He seemed stuck in between, swinging early on everything off speed and late on the fastballs. He had a couple of chances with runners on to break out of his slump, but each time he didn't it seemed to hurt his confidence even more. Luckily it didn't seem to affect his defense, because he called a great game and made a good throw to second to nab a would be base stealer.

Miller looked human, but got out of his own 8th inning jam with some help from Yandy. Allen was lights out in the ninth to keep the game tied and then of course came Brantley's magical moment in the tenth. From our vantage point up in the nosebleeds on the left field line we couldn't tell just what was happening once the ball got back in the corner. I knew the Sox left fielder was playing well off the line though because I had commented to my son at the beginning of the at bat that both the left and right fielders were playing well off the line and I'd like to see Brantley send one into the right field corner. So of course he sent it to left field instead. We saw where it landed in fair territory but it skittered pretty quickly out of sight into the corner, so we didn't know just how far Lindor could get before the ball was thrown back in. So we watched Lindor flying around the bases instead, and the roar in the stadium as he neared and then crossed the plate was amazing. All in all a really fun day, and hopefully the first of many Tribe wins this season at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.

tl;dr version, Tribe wins, Lindor is awesome. Brantley is back and looking as smooth as ever.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Oakland A's are playing .500 baseball. I'm enjoying it. If they could maintain for the rest of the season, it will be a vast improvement over last season.

In other A's news, the team announced they'll be removing the tarps from the 3rd deck, IIRC, on Friday night games and sell seats for $15 with the proceeds going to local charities. This season the A's have definitely tied themselves to the local community in the light of the Raiders and Warriors departure in the next couple of years.

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    *looks at the U-Verse on screen guide*... tonight's another Dodger-KTLA game! Now, if they can win/score with RISP...

15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh good you'll get to see the Cubs get their rings!

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Can't wait. :p

cubman987 likes this.
  17. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

108 diamonds in these beautiful monstrosities.

I love that not only did Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, and Ryne Sandberg get rings, but they also made rings for Ernie Banks and Ron Santo.

BenYodaDagobah and Juliet316 like this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    going to my first game at Wrigley tomorrow! p pumped even though I have to watch the dodgers :(

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I approve of this "co-opt the goat's dread power" strategy.

Juliet316 and cubman987 like this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    5 runners left-on-base already for the Dodgers, and its only been 2 innings. Good grief.

22. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Not as bad as the Red Sox game right now.... I will be dropping Steven Wright in the one league I have him in....

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It's important to remember, now and for always, that Terry Collins has absolutely no earthly idea how to manage a bullpen.

Amazing.

24. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Did you know that a goat's head is supposedly associated with the Occult? You can trace an inverted pentagram around it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

I love baseball.

EDIT: Pitching so filthy good for the Bums tonight; going to be one of the best wins for this season.