main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Someone posted this in the Nats Reddit [face_plain][face_laugh]:_|

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and dp4m like this.
  2. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Well, hiring Dusty Baker as manager will do that to you in the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    looking at that picture of Tropicana Field they must have used the old Kingdome as the inspiration. :rolleyes: hard to believe that thing was built in the early 90s.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Tropicana Field is where the San Francisco Giants were suppose to relocate if it weren't for MLB stopping the deal.

I remember the local headlines of the Giants moving to St. Petersburg.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Wasn't It built In the late 80's? I think It looks like the best cookie cutter, kind of reminds me of the Tokyo Dome! One Plus there are no fold out seats in the outfield or a Hefty bags like in the Metro Dome. I will also point out that when It Is 100 degrees outside in Tampa Inside the Trop it will be a pleasant 75 degrees Ahhhhh air conditioning !!!!

6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    opened march 3 1990. according to the internet [face_dunno]

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It was built specifically to lure a major league team. The Giants were the closest, though other efforts were made (including the White Sox, I think, before new Comiskey was built). They were all but set to move, but Peter Magowan made a last minute deal to buy a controlling stake in the Giants and keep them in San Francisco. Tampa seemed to think because they had a stadium and were so close, they'd be guaranteed an expansion team and were apparently really pissed when Miami got one instead. They were basically promised a team the next go around, which came quickly because MLB needed money to settle the various collusion lawsuits from the 80s.

It's a good book! Read it!

Amazing.

8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    that thing makes Candlestick look like a palace

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Update: Still true.

Amazing.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I guess Tampa watched Field of Dreams too many times. "If you build it, they will come."

It was around this time that the Oakland A's "gifted" the Giants territorial to Silicon Valley in hopes the Giants would relocate there and making the A's the premiere team in the Oakland and San Francisco area. However, the Giants didn't relocate and this "gift" has prevented the A's from moving to San Jose over the years.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

thanks for a book reading idea! Went to the game today had a great time! I had a Cuban sandwich and a hotdog! loved the fact that souvenir cup sodas were unlimited refills! the stadium had good points and bad points, the seats were super comfortable but could have used more legroom, the scoreboard was super big and easy to read as was the huge HD Jumbo Tron! the air conditioning was great it was so cold my sister needed a jacket that she cleverly put in her back pack. the concourse was not that big and bathrooms weren't environmentally friendly. I still stand by it is better then Marlins Stadium it is much brighter, I will admit it was weird at first indoor baseball. one really cool thing they allow you to bring in food and a bottle of water, next time I am bringing in a Cuban sandwich from Publix super market, a bottle water and peanuts we did not get a lot of food and between me and my dad we spent $60.00 on food so if we can save money we will!

I took some pictures and a video I will share them when I can?

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Not only has Owens been a peanut vendor at Dodger Stadium (lodge/2nd level) for decades, he was at my dear friend's Bar Mitzvah in '98, throwing out bags of peanuts; one of the best things about that day.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Some the ballparks vendors are some of the few reasons why I still like going to games.

That reminds, when I visited the Tokyo dome, I noticed there were only female vendors working the stands. It was also a little bizarre to see so many business suits in the seats.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Just gonna leave this here for the grand slam incoming in about 60 seconds.

Edit - The ball hit off the top of the wall. It's sad how predictable this all is.

Amazing.

cubman987 likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I was glad to see Sonny Gray back on the mound and dealing with 11 strike outs, as the A's win another.

The A's have been scoring pretty well. Now if they could get consist quality starts by their pitchers and stop committing so many errors (as the lead the League in the department), they could climb their way out of the basement.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Next week we'll see the Red Sox and Orioles go at it again. I wonder if they will behave themselves this time instead of getting all huffy with each other.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Anchorman themed road trip for the Cubs as they head to LA to beat Tunes' Dodgers.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Kimbrel strikes out the side.... he's been ridiculous this year.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    So, another 20K game, if one that was divided between multiple pitchers. As with each 20K game, the first thing I look at is to see whether there was a walk. For the first time ever in a nine inning 20K performance, the team that struck out 20 times also drew a walk. The previous combined total number of walks in 20 strikeout games was zero. For single pitcher games, of course, it still is.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=370525102

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Kimbrel's always been ridiculous though... like the last 3-4 years, the K/9 stats have been Chapman, Betances, Kimbrel as 1-2-3 in some order, IIRC.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    How is it that Royals/Yankees got rained out in The Bronx, but the Mets were able to get through their game yesterday in Queens? :p

25. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    He wasn't as good last year.

I misquoted, he actually struck out 4 in one inning because of bad replay that was corrected.....