main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Nevermind flying on it; who uses it to begin with for anything OTHER than a massive injury? I think of morphine only when I'm watching old war movies.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Well to be fair, I did know someone who got low dose morphine as a maintenance drug way after a back injury.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that's for pain. Was Halladay prescribed it because of an injury?

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Darth_Furio and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    SANTA MARIA

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Gotta love the irony to that. The big guy (Arod) had replaced Aaron Boone on the Yankees after Boone's basketball incident sidelined him for the year. Flash forward to over a decade and a half later, and he's replacing Boone again (who's in fact managing the Yankees) in the broadcast booth.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Not that I don't like Vasgersian, but Dan Shulman was the only good part of the Sunday Night crew. And A-Rod replacing Boone won't make things much better.

Amazing.

8. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Chipper Jones, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome, and Trevor Hoffman voted into the Hall. Sucks that Edgar Martinez didn't make it.

I'm also having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that Chipper Jones has been retired for five years.

Amazing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    true story, my nickname in little league was "chipper." wore it like a badge of honor.

now that i look back on it, coach was just trying to make me feel good. i was a terrible third baseman and i think i got 3 hits in 7 years of baseball.

anyway, grats chipper. my namesake.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Solid group there, really happy about Thome - he grew up not far from here and makes a lot of appearances here still, always seems like such a good guy.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Thome was a certified Yankees killer, and of course Jones was a certified Mets killer. Great class for NY baseball fans lol.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    bummed about edgar but there's a good chance he'll make it next year, his last on the ballot.

13. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it next year. Players always get a bump their last year and Mariano Rivera and Roy Halladay are the only significant players coming on the ballot.

Amazing.

tom likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i think that, other than jeter in 2020 and the two b mentioned for next year, the next four classes will feature very few first ballot guys. 2021 likely to have zero, and unless the winds change on A-Rod, 2022 likely will just have papi.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    37% leaves a tough climb for Omar Vizquel to get in. Possible, but a steep climb. I think he's worthy, but I'm also biased.

Glad to see Thome in. Chipper was a no brainer, I think Vlad is, too - hopefully he goes in as an Expo. Hoffman kind of surprised me, with the devaluation of the save. Thought he'd get in, but it would take time.

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @cubman987

Thome used to come into a sports memorbilla store back in the day that couple of my buddies used to work at during the holidays/summer since we were in college. Jim is like seriously the nicest guy ever. Literally anything they put in front of him, he sign it. Got to meet him once myself. Was so nice and friendly. We kept telling him we hope the Cubs trade for you one day and he just laugh. To this day I wonder what would had happen if Jim Hendry took up Jim on his offer to play for the Cubs with a hometown discount. Maybe the Cubs win Game 1 or blow Game 6 wide open in the NLCS and Bartman is long forgotten? What could have been.

This might be my favorite HOF class ever. Seriously Thome, Chipper, Vlad and Hoffman. Doesn't get any better then that.

@DarthIntegral

Definitely he goes in as an Expo (Thome will go in as Indian). The only question what highlight you show with him. I know everyone remembers when he hit the bounce pitch but my favorite play by him is when he nailed Todd Hundley at the plate with an absolute mutant throw:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think most guys who get that high a percentage on the first ballot ultimately get in. Non PED guys anyway. Not sure how that plays out with the new 10 year limit, though. I don't think Vizquel quite deserves to, but I would guess he makes it towards the end of his 10 year eligibility.

Amazing.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yep, that is consistent with everything I've ever heard from people that know or have met him.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Vizquel most likely deserves to be in the very good but not great HOF. But this is one of the many problems the steroid era presents. How much better would Vizquel been had he played in a non juice era (I assuming Omar wasn’t a roid guy)? That is what makes players like Griffey, Maddux, Thome and even players Vlike Vizquel even more that incredible. They put up those numbers against many players who getting help from a bottle. It makes their feats even more incredible which I don’t think the “let all the juicers in” crowd doesn’t realize.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I was bummed that Mussina didn't get chosen. I liked him on the Yankees and respected him even before when he was on Baltimore. I still remember the game where Torre walked out from the dugout to pull him out of the game and he yelled at him; something to the effect of, "You stay there!" Always a gamer through and through.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. I will be sad that Pettitte doesn't get considered, as he and O'Neill are my favorite Yankees. Moose probably has a stronger case, and also doesn't have the PED tag that Andy does. Unfortunate.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Pettitte was a more valuable player than Edgar Martinez who, let's face it, is a borderline HOFer but also the greatest DH of all time so hard to leave him out. This is based on a very, very negative dWAR for Martinez (also lol @ Papi). It's basically the same argument as Mo -- by sheer value, it's borderline at best but they were literally the very best at what they did...

Mussina should be a pretty unassailable HOFer by value.

Also, I love O'Neill, but he's definitely not a HOFer.

Of course, it's also absurd that Bonds and Clemens aren't in the HOF too...

heels1785 likes this.
  23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm kind of fascinated to see how the "No PED users at all" writers handle Pettitte. I'm fine with letting PED users in, doesn't really bother me, but so many writers have drawn a clear line in the sand. Easy to do on guys a lot of people personally dislike, like Bonds and Clemens. I wonder if some writers will offer some twisted "but he apologized" logic. Of course, he also probably doesn't deserve to get in ahead of Schilling, Mussina, or Halladay (maybe, still a little iffy on him), so that will be interesting too.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw the Clemens and Bonds voting numbers increased by 2%, putting them around 56%. Whereas, Sosa voting numbers dropped to around 7%.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm fascinated to see how the 'no PED users" writers handle Ortiz more than any other player. Ortiz did fail a test in 2003. Yes, everyone and their mother will focus on his wild thing teammate Manny Ramirez, but I'd call those writers hypocrites for passing up absolute clean players in favor of Ortiz when he becomes eligible.